• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Poke-Matic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
I grew up with Pokemon, but slowly moved away from it.

I have fond memories of Indiago league and the first generation or two, but after that, I just couldn't stick with it. So many stupid Pokemon were created, from the giant nose to the frozen ice cream cones.

And Ash/Satoshi never changed. Never. Oh, yes, there was some 'character development', but how did that really change the series? What's so different about it now than a few years ago? They're still fighting in leagues and championships, still escaping the bad guy, still winning 99.9% of the fights, and Butterfree still hasn't been visited.

I can understand Pikachu never evolving because he's such a mascot. I can even understand Ash never aging because the target audience needs to identify with him and he can't really be replaced by a new character. But there are ways to mix it up and remove the repetitive nature of the show, at least for a season or two.

I agree for the most part. Frankly I think the show should have let him win a least ONE league tournament by this point (specifically the Sinnoh league since the D/P series had the best development of him as a trainer). It;s not like him winning a tourney would mean we no longer have a reason to follow him. His goal was to be the GREATEST pokemon master. At least let him get part of the way to the master bit. It;s not like he couldn;t stop developing.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, the producers and staff really placed themselves into a corner when they have Ash go through each and every Pokemon iteration. I don't know why they haven't thought up going the Super Sentai approach and have a brand new Pokemon series every time a new game is released. That Pokemon Special manga got the right idea.
Sorrior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

I have fond memories of Indiago league and the first generation or two, but after that, I just couldn't stick with it. So many stupid Pokemon were created, from the giant nose to the frozen ice cream cones.

And Ash/Satoshi never changed. Never. Oh, yes, there was some 'character development', but how did that really change the series? What's so different about it now than a few years ago? They're still fighting in leagues and championships, still escaping the bad guy, still winning 99.9% of the fights, and Butterfree still hasn't been visited.

I can understand Pikachu never evolving because he's such a mascot. I can even understand Ash never aging because the target audience needs to identify with him and he can't really be replaced by a new character. But there are ways to mix it up and remove the repetitive nature of the show, at least for a season or two.

At this point i'm of the opinion that Ash is half pokemon. Would explain ALOT of things. His seeming immunity to all forms of pokemon attacks and not aging among them.

As for Buterfree i heard that in the japanese version it's said they die after mating but it was considered to dark for american kids so they changed it.

Oh and anyone else fall under the impression that ash is better at collecting women than pokemon as he journeys?

My big gripe is how Pikachu should be just about one shotting everything and yet he STILL loses somehow.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

I agree for the most part. Frankly I think the show should have let him win a least ONE league tournament by this point (specifically the Sinnoh league since the D/P series had the best development of him as a trainer). It;s not like him winning a tourney would mean we no longer have a reason to follow him. His goal was to be the GREATEST pokemon master. At least let him get part of the way to the master bit. It;s not like he couldn;t stop developing.

Well, he did beat Drake who was the final boss of the Orange Islands. Easily one of the best episodes too, that whole 6 vs. 6 battle was intense.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Digimon will always be one of my favorite series, even if I don't like every installment. It pretty much got me into anime. When I was 16. ...yeah, didn't really find any other high schoolers interested in a show about 11 year olds and their monsters. I did manage to get a friend to see the movie with me, though, and we both had a great time. Heck, I even got to talk to Tai's VA's dad about it since he was my long term art class sub! Anime hyper But yeah, loved it then and still do now. Now if only the franchise would remember the importance of character development... haven't had too much of that in the past decade, sadly.

My second favorite of the "mon" shows, however, will always and forever be the dubbed version of Mon Colle Knights. I have at least half of those episodes recorded from the TV onto VHS tapes laying around somewhere. The jokes and puns were really quite funny at times. In fact, I'm not sure I'd enjoy the original version of the show nearly as much, because I can't imagine it's all that much like the version I show on TV! I especially enjoyed the episode where Rockna was recalling how she got the part in a school play and she mentioned how the former lead suddenly broke her femur in a mysterious coloring incident. Ahh, now I totally wish I had a VCR that actually worked...

Ahhhhh, good times, good times...
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
And Ash/Satoshi never changed. Never. Oh, yes, there was some 'character development', but how did that really change the series? What's so different about it now than a few years ago?

As said now, "Kodomo neeee..."

v_v
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

No matter how good you are at something, someone is always better than you.

Having him win the tournaments seems fairly Hollywood "sunshine and rainbows" ending. It's more realistic for him to lose since it's been established there's far stronger trainers than him out there in the world. Heck, a lot of people got angry Hikari placed second in the Grand Festival. I'd hate to see how mad they'd be if Satoshi actually won the Suzuran Conference.

RestlessOne wrote:
And Ash/Satoshi never changed. Never. Oh, yes, there was some 'character development', but how did that really change the series? What's so different about it now than a few years ago?

What kind of character development are you expecting, actually? One recent episode of Best Wishes is Dent remarking and explaining why he decided to travel with Satoshi and what kind of person he is. I think he pretty much hit the nail on the head with his speech on what kind of person Satoshi is. Are people expecting him to grow up to be all angsty and dark and edgy or something? He continually betters himself, that's about all you can really expect.

Last edited by TitanXL on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Having him win the tournaments seems fairly Hollywood "sunshine and rainbows" ending. It's more realistic for him to lose since it's been established there's far stronger trainers than him out there in the world. Heck, a lot of people got angry Hikari placed second in the Grand Festival. I'd hate to see how mad they'd be if Satoshi actually won the Suzuran Conference.

How can there be far stronger trainers if he's gone to ALL FIVE Pokemon continents and gotten the all the badges from four of them?

Hell, me and my friends used to joke that Pikachu has to be like Level 5 billion at this point from all the Pokemon he's defeated.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
How can there be far stronger trainers if he's gone to ALL FIVE Pokemon continents and gotten the all the badges from four of them?

Considering we've actually seen hundreds of people get those badges as well, that's not saying much. Let alone how many do that off screen when he's not even in town.
bsus1412

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I remember when Digimon was just coming out with the first generation digivices. It was more of a fad thing, since the background designing for the ads and the device look was the same as all those other short-lived toys that showed up in the 90's. Of course, the movie is something very interesting in itself (in a more negative light). When I showed Summer Wars at my anime club, I instantly thought that it was exactly like Digimon the Movie, even though I hadn't seen it for years. Its just that much of a rip-off. I also thought the artwork style was eerily similar at first, since I couldn't confirm it at the time. Also, the Digi-Rap? Come on! I burst out laughing every time I hear that. Its just SO 90s.

I'm glad Mon Colle Knights was mentioned. I occasionally see it on Yahoo Answers in the guise of "What was that show with the boy and girl with crazy hair and they get on a plane to go to a different dimension and fight monsters?" and such. I once considered cosplaying as Count Collector or whatever the heck he was called, but then realized that no one would recognize him, except for maybe two people at best. By the way, I am a little bit surprised that Flint the Time Detective wasn't mentioned in the article. It premiered in America about the same time as Digimon and Monster Rancher.
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
While I started anime with Sailor Moon, it was Pokemon and Digimon that got me obsessed over it. Pokemon got me into video games too, which I'd say is important since I'm working on becoming an indie game developer. Of course, Pokemon helped me make friends and be more social too.

I still watch the Pokemon movies, but rarely the series, the movies aren't really any good, but they're pretty. I absolutely adore the games and am actually replaying SoulSilver right now.

As for Digimon, I've only watched a couple episodes of the more recent Xros Wars and I didn't care for Savers/Data Squad, but I loved the first four series. I'm actually rewatching all of my old Digimon tapes right now. That's 15 dubbed episodes of Adventure and the hodgepodge movie. I love that movie, probably a lot more than Summer Wars, I even love the cheese-tastic pop.

Speaking of which, I couldn't have been the only dumb kid who bought the CD's for the Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! music was I?

Oh yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh!, I still watch it, mostly the Japanese versions, I really love the manga and that series is what really got me into manga. Especially since it was about games in general (At least at first) as opposed to just the one. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the franchise, but I only play the TCG a bit now, and Zexal isn't really tonally similar to the other shows and I don't care much for it.

As for Monster Rancher, Duel Masters, and Mon Colle Knights, I still have a DVD of the first 8 episodes of the first one. I loved Duel Masters, the cheesy dub was amazing and I enjoyed the card game a lot. I'm happy Hasbro is bringing it back with a US cartoon called Kaijudo, but I'd hope they'd release the original US Duel Masters eventually. I never saw Mon Colle Knights.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Medabots

Based on the second of a series of RPGs by Imagineer this series was directed by Tensai Okamura, who'd go on to do some good things. It follows the story of Ikki Tenyrou, a young boy infatuated by robot companions that battle. Unfortunately for him, his parents want him to work off the price of a Medabot, and won't chip in any funding. This leaves Ikki without a Medabot for some time, until his friends need his help. The problem is he could only afford the oldest, cheapest piece of junk he could find. But lucky for Ikki, he may have found a piece of junk, but it's a special piece of junk.

I've been rewatching Medabots recently, and surprisingly it's still a good show. There's something a lot more endearing about the characters here than in others. I think it's because Medabots isn't a story played straight. There's a certain tongue and cheek almost parody-esque nature to it, but it also can become very serious. I'd refer to it as a Gintama in kind of tonne, though there aren't tonnes of pop culture references or something.

The animation for the series is also pretty good. I'd be willing to say it's one of the only things Bee Train has animated that has a fps rate above 2, haha.

Nelvana's dub for it is also one of the better ones produced in Toronto. It starts off a bit rough, and it's obviously not a high budget affair, but the cast members get into their roles, and it feels like they're having fun, and it's hard not to have fun watching this series.

The problem is the sequel series. Medabots Spirits is kind of horrible. It attempts (and I mean attempts) to adapt the third RPG but takes a considerably more serious approach. It drops a lot of the cast from the first series, nerfs Ikki and Metabee, while introducing considerably worse animation by Production I.G. Yes, Production I.G. produced worse animation than Bee Train. This was surprising to me too. Lucky, the first Medabots series has a very conclusive ending, so you can ignore the existence of Spirits.

The overall Medabots franchise turns 15 this year (the first RPG was released in 1997), and I actually have one of the few English fansites out there.

doctordoom85 wrote:
Monster Rancher was a solid show, if you like Digimon Season 1 then you'd probably enjoy this one as well. I just wish they had brought Season 3 over here, because the ending of Season 2 spoiler[was too depressing with the main kid being separated from the others.]

Season 3 was dubbed.

dude. my BROTHA!!

this show was and still is awesome!! never saw spirits only the first 2 eps. yeah guess I won't watch it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Divineking wrote:

No matter how good you are at something, someone is always better than you.

As I recall, the main reason for him losing the Indigo tournament was that the anime got extended(and it shows). They really should've stuck to the original plan and given the Johto series some new protagonists.
ladybastet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I watched Pokemon with my son, I guess when it first came out. He was in middle school and he had to have a Game Boy Color and Pokemon game for Christmas. Skip forward to 2009 when my son came home to visit for his 23rd birthday. What he wanted for his birthday was a Nintendo DS and Pokemon. I guess some things never die.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
bsus1412 wrote:
When I showed Summer Wars at my anime club, I instantly thought that it was exactly like Digimon the Movie, even though I hadn't seen it for years. Its just that much of a rip-off. I also thought the artwork style was eerily similar at first, since I couldn't confirm it at the time.

Same director FYI so they probably just took the idea for Our War Game and made an entire movie of it without the Digimon IP.

Quote:
That Pokemon Special manga got the right idea.

That's why I've been praying for some sort of Special adaption. Still ticked that Viz skipped the GSC/Firered and Leafgreen story arcs for Diamond and Pearl. Heck, I didn't even know they released the Yellow arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7