• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst case of censorship in an anime dub?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sk1199

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
If you want a list of edits why not go to the now extinct column by Kyle Pope. Just go to "Views" and scroll down. Kyle does an episode by episode comparison of various shows.
TheVok

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Well they only actually aired one episode of that Eva dub.

Didn't they later show more of 'em?
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
zanarkand princess wrote:
Well they only actually aired one episode of that Eva dub.

Didn't they later show more of 'em?

I think he meant when Toonami had its Giant Robot Week special. It was pretty much shows from ADV Films library. If I remember it was Nadesico, Dai-Guard, Evangelion, Robotech, and Gigantor. Each show got at least two episodes aired. But aside from that, yes Evangelion got a full run on Adult Swim. Which was a lot less censored, but I can't say how much less it was edited since that was my first time ever seeing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
The [as] broadcast of Eva was completely uncut, though I think it was the original version as opposed to the Platinum update.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The [as] broadcast of Eva was completely uncut, though I think it was the original version as opposed to the Platinum update.

Not completely. Some of the more intense language of the show got bleeped and I recall a cut scene spoiler[from episode 5 when Shinji had his hand on Rei's bare breast during their encounter at Rei's apartment.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Well, okay, two seconds were cut. And the curses count as simple censoring in my book. Razz
MMORPGAL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
The (now rare) Anime that appear on [AS] are free of censorship altogether for the most part.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
dirtyotaku wrote:
I"m supprised nobody has mentioned this one yet.

Turning Card Captor Sakura into Card Captors has got to be one of the worst.

CCS wasn't really a censorship job. It's unquestionably an example of a horrible anime hack job, possibly the worst ever, but it's different from censorship.
TheresaJayne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I think censorship has reduced greatly since the 70s and 80s
People in the UK may remember "Battle of the Planets" which was a cut down version of "G Force"

Cut down from 30 minutes to 15 and they had to add an annoying robot called 7 zark 7 to fill in the bits they had cut out.
Thank you whoever is watching over us for allowing series like Red Garden and Naruto to get to us fairly unscathed.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
TheVok wrote:
Yeah, I was going to say Nausicaa ... not necessarily a case of censorship, but apparently it got cut down from 116 minutes to just 84 minutes!

Still, I'm glad I saw Warriors of the Wind as a child because it stuck with me and later I sought out the full film ....

I meant it as the biggest case I've heard because even the original creator of the movie reacted to the heavily edited version. All other cases I've heard about concerning censorship in anime only involved the fanbase.

As I understand it, Miyazaki sent a "gift" to Disney as a return for their acquisition of Howl's Moving Castle, right? It was a very nice looking katana with a note that said "No Cuts" on it. I believe that was on the special features somewhere, well, along with John Lasseter having gotten a giant catbus in the mail. Anime smile

And who complained about Ghost Stories? Evil or Very Mad I mean, okay, it was never meant to be an irreverent comedy...but come on! Watch the original Japanese, they left it intact! The fact is that it was the most boring, predictable too-scary-for-a-kids-show-but-would-bore-anyone-else property ADV could pick up. A joke dub was a great idea. I really enjoyed watching it...well, I wasn't tooooo crazy that all the political humor was one-sided, and it was clear that Stephen Foster had a horribly poor view of christians, but other than that, it was hysterical! Laughing
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
As I understand it, Miyazaki sent a "gift" to Disney as a return for their acquisition of Howl's Moving Castle, right? It was a very nice looking katana with a note that said "No Cuts" on it. I believe that was on the special features somewhere, well, along with John Lasseter having gotten a giant catbus in the mail. Anime smile

The sword was a "gift" to Miramax, a sister company of Disney responsible for handling the dubbing and distribution of Princess Mononoke. As you very well know, the film's content was more intense than the usual Ghibli film and Disney was pleading to Ghibli to make some edits so the film would earn a PG rating. But, Ghibli didn't nudge on this as they mentioned the "no edits" clause to their deal with Disney. Rather than distribute the film under the Disney name (as Disney has its wholesome, family image), the company gave responsibility of the film to Miramax where they were closely monitored by a Ghibli representative to ensure the film wasn't altered in any way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheVok

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
... and soon enough Disney itself was finally embracing the PG-13 rating, e.g. with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
... and soon enough Disney itself was finally embracing the PG-13 rating, e.g. with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Yet Disney hasn't released any other PG-13 film besides anything from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie trilogy. Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
TheresaJayne wrote:
People in the UK may remember "Battle of the Planets" which was a cut down version of "G Force"

Cut down from 30 minutes to 15 and they had to add an annoying robot called 7 zark 7 to fill in the bits they had cut out.

G Force and BotP are separate adaptations of Gatchaman. I watched BotP as a child but for years had no idea what it was called. I did remember the "G Force" phrase so when I saw that name on Sci-Fi once I was excited, only to be disappointed, mainly because 7zark7 was missing. Eventually found the name out from some top 100 cartoon-type programme and have one of the DVDs, and that's enought to fill my nostalgic needs.
What I found amusing was the comments they added to the narration, where they took pains to point out that enemy soldiers were only knocked out, and that the enemy fighters being shot down were all unmanned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sevensevens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one mentioned Fox Kid's Escaflowne. Just off the top of my head - the first episode got completely axed and most of the music was replaced by techno snyth. Its been a while since I've seen the fox kids version (I try to block it out of my mind). I didn't really understand why they needed it edit it so heavily - they left some of the fight scene in (without the blood), but cut story!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5