• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's Ponyo to Open in North America This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
There's no way it's going to get more than 1,000 theaters, at best; but for an anime film in the U.S. that'd still be quite an accomplishment. Surprised they're finally interested in us so much, since Miyazaki claimed all this time that he only worried how his stuff would do in Japan. Is the yen that screwed over because of Bush and the LDP?

The yen is actually appreciating against the dollar. Bad for their exports.

TheVok wrote:
Raz_G wrote:
2D has been dead for almost a decade

And yet Disney will release its own major 2-D animated feature 'The Princess and the Frog' in time for next Christmas.

Ironically, it's the Pixar guys who are bringing Disney back to 2D.

GATSU wrote:
Raz: If 2-d is "dead", then there wouldn't be a market for anime, South Park, or Family Guy. Plus, that Simpsons movie made a nice profit, and no one even likes the show any more. What's dead is any sense of creativity in the American animated film industry. Especially when Neil Gaiman resorts to borrowing from Ghibli even more than Lasseter. [Cue testorschoice counter-argument. Rolling Eyes ]

At least if one is going to borrow, borrow from the good ones. I don't hear complaints when anime borrows from H. P. Lovecraft countless times. Laughing
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to hear what they do with the theme song.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
enurtsol:
Quote:

I'll believe it when I see it. That Frog Princess thing was just something they came up with at the last minute to further milk their princess line, and has nothing to do with their 2-d line.

Quote:
I don't hear complaints when anime borrows from H. P. Lovecraft countless times. Laughing

Actually, I think someone returned the favor. Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
I don't hear complaints when anime borrows from H. P. Lovecraft countless times. Laughing

Actually, I think someone returned the favor. Wink

Oh yes, White Radish. Smile
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:00 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Especially when Neil Gaiman resorts to borrowing from Ghibli even more than Lasseter. [Cue testorschoice counter-argument. Rolling Eyes ]

Conveniently, that link already includes three people who refuted this latest off-topic claim. No need to reinvent the wheel. Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote
Anyway, I just hope Only Yesterday makes an R1 release this year.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
Betty White. Awesome Very Happy

-Tofu
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
enurtsol:
Quote:

I'll believe it when I see it. That Frog Princess thing was just something they came up with at the last minute to further milk their princess line, and has nothing to do with their 2-d line.

Just to be clear, while 'The Princess and the Frog' is certainly benefiting from Disney's early-2006 acquisition of Pixar, as John Lasseter and Ed Catmull quickly expressed interest in Disney returning to its 2-D roots, it is not in itself a Pixar production. It is from within Walt Disney Animation Studios, directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, who previously directed The Little Mermaid and Aladdin.

Meanwhile, while rumours over the years have suggested that Pixar might produce 2-D animation at some point, they're clearly getting into live action first, what with current plans for Brad Bird's 1906 and Andrew Stanton's A Princess of Mars. There is no Pixar 2-D line to speak of ... yet.
Raz_G

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Raz: If 2-d is "dead", then there wouldn't be a market for anime, South Park, or Family Guy.

Ok, so I should have added "in American cinemas" after "dead". Yes, the Simpsons Movie was a success, but this success has more to do with the franchise's popularity and less with the future of 2D. I'll wait for an original, big-budget, 2D film to do well in the American box-office (say, the new Disney film that was mentioned here, or maybe even Ponyo - hey, one CAN dream...) before declaring the 2D features are big business again.
MisterEd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I've been excited about this film since it was announced, but now even more that I know John Lasseter's involved with it. Toy Story is one of the best animated features ever made, and a Bug's Life is my favorite Pixar film. He made Bolt good. The cast is also very interesting, Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Cate Blanchett, this is a group of major stars, I'm surprised they agreed to do an animated movie.

I'm betting Ponyo gets a wide release
1. Miyazaki has started to get the recognition he deserves in the U.S., and more people appreciate his work.
2. Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle were successes
3. It has a celebrity cast
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't care much about the dub but otherwise it's in very good hands. Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall are absolutely some of the very best producers in Hollywood.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
MisterEd wrote:

Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle were successes

How so?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Raz:
Quote:
I'll wait for an original, big-budget, 2D film to do well in the American box-office

Dunno about "well", but A Scanner Darkly did decently in limited release.

Mister Ed: No comment on Cars says it all about that one, huh? Rolling Eyes

Vok: I'm guessing he means successes relative to most anime theatrical films released in the U.S. Or maybe he's referring to the Japanese box office?
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Vok: I'm guessing he means successes relative to most anime theatrical films released in the U.S.

Fair enough ... in that context, they were trumped only by toy/game/TV tie-ins, i.e. the Pokemon, Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh movies.

But they didn't really play wide. Spirited Away just barely topped 700 screens; Howl's Moving Castle around 200.
BDK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that there is "somewhat" of a release date. I knew disney was going to jump on this, just a matter of getting it out.

and is anyone else surprised on the dub cast? Maybe it's just me, but I was.

Last edited by BDK on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3