• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Phony Baloney

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
@1st about anime-influenced cartoons

about the Avatar the last airbender was fine until the movie The last airbender came out. Teen titans was average until Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi show. Totally Spies was great with She Spies and Charlie's Angels movies.
and Disney how about osamu tezuka.

@2nd about simulcast contenders to fansubs

if these sites continue it should be also on SVOD and PPV on every ISP.
nowadays I'm hoping for a better solution because the services deserves contributions and supports like PBS

@3rd about Funimation's NicoNico

another affiliate site not down

@rest

big winner "sentai licenses"
big stinkers none

late response still imo
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we could go by the soon-to-be new definition of moe on TvTropes? If you aren't aware, they had a major shift in editorial policy over there.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Maybe we could go by the soon-to-be new definition of moe on TvTropes? If you aren't aware, they had a major shift in editorial policy over there.

Oh? Do tell.

*goes and looks*

Oh well f' that.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

Odd. I've known about the shift, but I just checked the Moe article and there's no Trope Repair Shop thread attached to it.

They should merely define it as a YMMV trope, but this is Tvtropes, which has to do everything awkwardly....
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

TVTropes is entirely user edited. It's not even close to anything resembling a credible source. All that site does is suffocate creative thinking by trying to categorize things into neat little pigeonholes with no room for free thought. Never use it in an argument.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

TVTropes is entirely user edited. It's not even close to anything resembling a credible source. All that site does is suffocate creative thinking by trying to categorize things into neat little pigeonholes with no room for free thought. Never use it in an argument.

TitanXL and I agree completely on something! Heavens!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

what.

Titan, you've said some ridiculous things in the past, but I think you outdid yourself here.

TvTropes does not stifle creativity. It notices patterns in entertainment. Tropes are not pigeon-holes, and people using them as such are merely bad writers. You DO realize that the idea of a trope is a basic concept that can be twisted, subverted, or otherwise altered to suit a story, right?

Or are you saying that noticing that "Rain= sadness/death/tragedy" happens alot in works from around the world is "stifling creativity"?
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Moe mow-eh adj.

1. Literally undefinable as nerds cannot agree on the true meaning of it, believing that because the word is describing a subjective emotion that means the definition of it must also be completely subjective

2. Forums gasoline

I'm quite capable of defining moe, the fact that a certain segment (who claims to not like moe, generally) doesn't like the definition is an entirely different issue.

While I'm quite aware that This Is Fencedude's World And We're Just Living In It, the fact that every single time anyone tries to define the term at all either in an editorial piece or in the forums it turns into a 30-page tornado of arguing over who's the most right about their personal definition of moe suggests that maybe it isn't so simple as "it isn't my fault people don't universally accept my definition".

In fact the very way you worded this post would, if this thread didn't already have 7 pages of moe arguing in it, ignite an argument about the definition of moe.

Ever think that maybe discussing moé is the way we can eventually come to an acceptable definition? I mean, rather than complaining about how ill-defined it is, then complaining when people try to discuss that in order to define it?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
It may be the way to agreeing, but if anime fandom STILL hasn't found a good definition after years of arguing on the internet...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Timeenforceranubis wrote:

Ever think that maybe discussing moé is the way we can eventually come to an acceptable definition? I mean, rather than complaining about how ill-defined it is, then complaining when people try to discuss that in order to define it?

My argument is, very specifically, that you like arguing about it way more than you would ever enjoy actually figuring out how to define it. All of these discussions read like "No, I "get it" more than you do" dick-measuring contests. There really is no substantive discussion happening at all.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
My argument is, very specifically, that you like arguing about it way more than you would ever enjoy actually figuring out how to define it. All of these discussions read like "No, I "get it" more than you do" dick-measuring contests. There really is no substantive discussion happening at all.

It would seem obvious from the prominent MOE Taskforce logo, as if there is some internet conspiracy to suppress moe shows. I love how he always uses the accented "e" as if it is sophisticated.
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I'm out to find a definition.

I can't speak for everyone, but do I know that suppressing the discussion won't get us any closer to a definition. You'll always find people who just want to argue, but that's no reason to cut off all discussion.

dragon695 wrote:
It would seem obvious from the prominent MOE Taskforce logo, as if there is some internet conspiracy to suppress moe shows. I love how he always uses the accented "e" as if it is sophisticated.

Taskforce M.O.E. is a pet project of mine, and is actually part of my "quest," if you will, to bring us all closer to a true definition of moé. The logo looks the way it looks because I'm really into the concept of cute girls crossed with military themes.

Also, I accent the "e" because I've heard multiple anime fans pronounce moé as moe, as in Three Stooges "Moe."
notazaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Realistically discussions like this aren't going to produce one definition that everyone everywhere will agree on. Everyone has their own definition and that's not going to change.

That being said the word "moe" really isn't as confusing as it seems to be. When I see someone use it I usually have a pretty good idea what they mean even if I don't know how they personally define it. I mean it's not like I'm completely lost whenever someone uses it.
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
Realistically discussions like this aren't going to produce one definition that everyone everywhere will agree on. Everyone has their own definition and that's not going to change.

I think that the moé discussion is (and should be) more about opening people up to other possible interpretations from which they can use their own judgment in how to define moé, rather than dictatorially changing everyone's definition to conform with one universal meaning.

notazaku wrote:
That being said the word "moe" really isn't as confusing as it seems to be. When I see someone use it I usually have a pretty good idea what they mean even if I don't know how they personally define it. I mean it's not like I'm completely lost whenever someone uses it.

This, I 100% agree with. It's not like there's absolute mass confusion whenever somebody brings up moé. For the most part, people can tell what each other are talking about, without having to agree on a single hard definition.
notazaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I think that the moé discussion is (and should be) more about opening people up to other possible interpretations from which they can use their own judgment in how to define moé, rather than dictatorially changing everyone's definition to conform with one universal meaning.

I can agree with that, and in that case getting multiple opinions on the definition of moe is important. And it does give these discussions meaning even if they can get repetitive over time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 25