• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - 3-2-1 Let's Jan!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I just wanna say that I enjoyed both FMA series(but not that anyone cares lol).

I really like how the first FMA was able to create an interesting story when it went on its own path and how they continued the story with a film(Not like Sacred Star of Milos).

While Brotherhood, finally gave us the story Arakawa told through manga. And how every homunculi truly represented one of the Seven Deadly Sins! And Van Hohenheim has more character in Brotherhood!!!

Anyways, I enjoyed both (but not equally lol).

Update:
If I were to ever make film I will credit myself as: The Grand Asshole.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The definition of retelling is "a new version of a story". By definition, any animated adaptation of a manga or graphic novel would be a retelling as it wouldn't be the original version. It obviously couldn't be, as they are two entirely different mediums. It would only be the original telling if you literally just showed screen shots of the manga on TV. I think it's sort of pointless to argue semantics about this, especially when it's very obvious what people are talking about.

I think we view the definitions of adaption and retelling differently.

Adaption is when you take to original story and adapt it to fight into a new medium, but the story stays the same; this is brotherhood an adaption of the magna that has very few changes from the original.

Retelling on the other hand is when you take a story and make significant changes to it, and it becomes "a new version of the story"; this is FMA it started off as the same as the manga but then it changed into a different story all together.

Now this isn't really directed at you, but a lot of FMA who don't like brotherhood make it sound like Brotherhood is a retelling of FMA; but It's not! It has nothing to do with the FMA it is just a straight up adaption of the manga. The retelling is FMA and thus the original quote that started our little discussion:

Quote:
Yeah, people really need to stop using the word 'retelling' when it's clear they don't know what it means, or don't really know what Brotherhood is. If anything, the first anime is the 'retelling'. Brotherhood is the actual manga story.

Ok that is all I am going to say on the subject.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
My problem with FMA:Brotherhood is that it seems to be the sort of series that cannot decide whether it wants to be a drama or a comedy. The gags are often awfully misplaced, in other words the comedy jars with the more serious moments and as a result it ruins previously build atmosphere.
Quote:

I've watched the first eight episodes of Madoka and its a decent show but I just don't find it as groundbreaking or compelling as the rest of anime fandom does.

Neither did I. PMM is not ground-breaking. It is not like it's the first series that features cute girls and brutality. I'm only surprised that anime fans still don't have enough of it.

Two things. I think the gags in Brotherhood are very cute and ease up the tension. I personally did not feel that the jokes were out of place. When the situations were very emotional the creators did not use out of place jokes. Brotherhood is a very balanced series with the right amount of mystery, drama, tension, comedy and action.

And second, Madoka Magica is a unique series because it debunks some of the cliches of the typical magic girls series. I am not gonna compare Madoka Magica with Evangelion, but PMMM does some neat things that make your head think.
daichi383

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:30 am Reply with quote
So according to jan all i need to get an adaption of my favourite jump series ever Psyren made is money, a planner, the rights, a studio and somewhere to show it. I'm gonna enjoy seeing how my evil plan to get this thing made comes together in the next couple of decades if it doesnt get made in that time. I know some people may not think im serious but just watch everyone. Im going to uni this year and will achieve my goal of makin that happen and opening my own animation studio. Really enjoyed listening to jans stories as you could probably tell.

On the subject of brotherhood vs fma. I would say you shouldnt force yourself if you really cant enjoy it zac. However while i liked the first series and its ending, as one of those sakuga folks, the visual showcase of talented animators in brotherhood is what i stayed around for. The plot was really good and all but part of the fun for me was trying to tell who animated what in each episode until i got hooked and was in awe in the last 15 episodes. A good ending that also made more sense for these characters does help too though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote
050795 wrote:

Adaption [Adaptation] - is when you take to original story and adapt it to fight into a new medium, but the story stays the same; this is brotherhood an adaption of the magna that has very few changes from the original.

Retelling on the other hand is when you take a story and make significant changes to it, and it becomes "a new version of the story"; this is FMA it started off as the same as the manga but then it changed into a different story all together.

Just watch, people will trip with the same issues concerning Oldboy. Laughing
agila61

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Great ANNcast! Its fascinating how one small side-effect of the strong yen policies of the first part of the Lost Decade ~ which were part of what made it a Lost Decade ~ was to help push forward the development of the digital workflow in anime production, because of the export cost of physical production materials from Japan. I was in Australia during the Asian Financial Crisis in 1997, a big part of which was based on financial institutions in different parts of Asia assuming that the strong yen policy would be sustained indefinitely, so when the yen was allowed to drop, they were caught in a bind.

Oh, wait, were there some off the cuff references to Full Metal Alchemist in the warm up section before the actual interview go going? I wouldn't be surprised if the comment threads focused in on that and ignored the main course.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
I still think of her as Scott Frazier, since that's how I'd "known" her for several years, and it's still hard to type "her"...

I had absolutely no idea about that. Since it seems that it had little relation to his tales from Japan, I see no reason to mention about the subject. Nonetheless, it's kinda like… whoa.

Well I'm glad someone cleared it up but I admit I wasn't going to ask if Jan was transgendered or not even though I was wondering from the moment the interview started. I even went online to see if I could find out anything but I found nothing that ruled in or out what might be going on. So I decided to just wait and see if anyone else brought it up before saying anything. Now, does it matter? Actually it does a little, IMO, because I was wondering how a female had made it that far in business in 1980's Japan and Asia, and then having done so, did not even mention that it was unusual but possible (FWIW, I met someone a few years ago who was successful during the 1970s in Japan working with kimonos (the woman is now a college professor in the U.S.) so I knew it was possible but I'm still not sure how "usual" it was for the times). However, I caught on from Jan's voice, and the comments about their childhood (it was kept gender neutral except for the comment on the Barbies (the wording wasn't natural)), that Jan might not have been born their current assigned sex, so I was curious about what was going on. Now I know, it only puts perspective on the interview. However, it doesn't change the fact that Jan's had a interesting life and that this was a very good interview by Justin Smile . This issue really shouldn't matter but whether your male or female really does no matter how hard people (particularly in the U.S.) have tried to make it not matter. The Glass Ceiling exists and probably always will in some form or another. So knowing what sex you where when you were making a name in a profession for yourself is part of the picture in understanding the story that is being told. Still, I thought Jan took the best route she could if she didn't want to get into subjects to personal for a podcast (the fact she managed to keep the interview as gender neutral as it was is actually a notable feat now I think about it - it's really hard not to mention something like that when talking about ones self).
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
rti9 wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
I still think of her as Scott Frazier, since that's how I'd "known" her for several years, and it's still hard to type "her"...

I had absolutely no idea about that. Since it seems that it had little relation to his tales from Japan, I see no reason to mention about the subject. Nonetheless, it's kinda like… whoa.

Well I'm glad someone cleared it up but I admit I wasn't going to ask if Jan was transgendered or not even though I was wondering from the moment the interview started. I even went online to see if I could find out anything but I found nothing that ruled in or out what might be going on.

There's probably not too much out there that mentions it. Before I wrote that previous reply, I did a search for "Scott Frazier" and "Anime Expo" (because the latter was where I would see him) just to jog more of my memories, and re-read an ex.org interview with him that covered some of the same ground as the ANNCast, but aside from being much shorter, had a few different bits, too.

Quote:
So I decided to just wait and see if anyone else brought it up before saying anything.

I guess that I was the only one ?tactless? enough to mention it? ^^; I can't be the only person here to have seen Scott Frazier at Anime Expo or elsewhere.

Quote:
Now, does it matter? Actually it does a little, IMO, because I was wondering how a female had made it that far in business in 1980's Japan and Asia, and then having done so, did not even mention that it was unusual but possible (FWIW, I met someone a few years ago who was successful during the 1970s in Japan working with kimonos (the woman is now a college professor in the U.S.) so I knew it was possible but I'm still not sure how "usual" it was for the times).

Yeah, that's the one point where it the most impact, but otherwise doesn't matter to her story.

Quote:
However, it doesn't change the fact that Jan's had a interesting life and that this was a very good interview by Justin :) .

It's a very interesting interview, and I liked hearing some of those stories again. ^^
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
Quote:
The definition of retelling is "a new version of a story". By definition, any animated adaptation of a manga or graphic novel would be a retelling as it wouldn't be the original version. It obviously couldn't be, as they are two entirely different mediums. It would only be the original telling if you literally just showed screen shots of the manga on TV. I think it's sort of pointless to argue semantics about this, especially when it's very obvious what people are talking about.

Adaption is when you take to original story and adapt it to fight into a new medium, but the story stays the same; this is brotherhood an adaption of the magna that has very few changes from the original.

Now this isn't really directed at you, but a lot of FMA who don't like brotherhood make it sound like Brotherhood is a retelling of FMA; but It's not! It has nothing to do with the FMA it is just a straight up adaption of the manga. The retelling is FMA and thus the original quote that started our little discussion:

Quote:
Yeah, people really need to stop using the word 'retelling' when it's clear they don't know what it means, or don't really know what Brotherhood is. If anything, the first anime is the 'retelling'. Brotherhood is the actual manga story.

Ok that is all I am going to say on the subject.

A retelling does not need to have significant changes, as long asthe story is being told again. Hence RE-TELL. You are just telling the story again. There are no dictionary definitions of the word that state that significant changes are needed. Certainly, significant changes can be made however.

Also, an adaptation of something can have significant changes, particularly when you are changing mediums. There are things you can describe via written text and illustration that just aren't possible to do on film for instance. For instance, a live action version of FMA would be an adaptation that would require some changes due to the medium and the likely budget involved. In fact, adaptations in literature are generally expected to have many changes and the majority of the meanings for adaptation involve some sor of change. Meanwhile a retelling is considered to be a direct telling of the story with little or no changes.

As I said, it's really all semantics and it's pointless to argue about. Both series are adaptations of the manga, though one series had to make necessary changes as the manga was still in progress. Both could also be considered retellings, as they are telling the same basic story (for at least the first dozen or so episodes.)

If FMA Brothehood is an almost direct adaptation of the manga, then calling it a "retelling" is factually correct. Your personal opinion of a word does not change its meaning in the dictionary. It is possible for something to be both a retelling and an adaptation by text book definitions.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I've been an anime fan for decades and it's occurred to me during my process of hearing every ANNCast that there's so much I have missed. Including gems like her. I loved this interview and kept picking up the pieces of information that sounded so new to me. I've never paid attention to production stuff on anime so this was utterly fascinating. Sad seeing her go and explain the implosion from the inside. If I ever had the money I'd go and see her workshops. She sounds like an absolutely fascinating person to ever meet! Thanks guys for another great interview.
ojisan59

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
I'd just like to thank Jan for giving an amazing talk that managed to be both highly technical and yet big-picture - super-informative and also infectiously enthusiastic and fun. It was wonderful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4