• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-ON Manga's Second Run to End in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goggen

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also, I find the idea that any sort of lesbian relationship is just for "lesyay" and is not a perfectly valid relationship to be pretty small minded.

But that's, unfortunately, usually what it is in anime/manga. Generally speaking, it's not there to portray homosexual relationships in a positive light or promote tolerance or any such noble intention.

At best, it's there to function as fan service for horny otaku who like to fantasize about hot girl-on-girl action featuring the characters.

At worst, it's there to establish a character as a "freak" or a "pervert" or some sort of deviant.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but for the most part I don't see "lesbian subtext" in anime/manga as a good thing at all.

By the way - if you're into that kind of subtext when it comes to K-On!, I think you should give the manga a try. Kakifly seems to like that kind of stuff more than the folks at KyoAni do... There's still not much beyond random lesyay teasing, but there's slightly more of it.

Quote:
If Ritsu were a boy, no one would doubt what this meant.

I would.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Your opinion is irrelevant. If it didn't happen in the manga, it's not canon. You can ignore the manga all you want, but canon is set in stone.

It's "canon" in the anime.

You don't get to selectively will away things that happen just because it's not in another medium. It's like saying "Iron Man can't do X, that only happened in the Avengers movie, it's not canon to the comics". Well, yes, he can... in the movies, which is what is being discussed here, the anime. Another medium cannot supersede and erase something in another medium's continuity. They're their own separate entities. It happened.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
How exactly can they be two seperate entities? The anime is an adaption of the Manga. All K-On things run back the manga, as it was the original, the source, and where canon resides.
Goggen

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
How exactly can they be two seperate entities? The anime is an adaption of the Manga. All K-On things run back the manga, as it was the original, the source, and where canon resides.

I'm going to have to side with TitanXL on this one. Yes, the manga is the original source. The anime adaption is a separate canon unto itself. Events exclusive to the anime don't happen in the manga, but they're still obviously "canon" within the anime.

And I still don't understand what any of this has to do with the topic at hand. Given that the topic here is the manga, the incident from the anime previously mentioned is what's irrelevant here.

Last edited by Goggen on Tue May 08, 2012 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jarm

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Let's just all agree K-ON is yuri.

spoiler[Spoiler: The real master mind of story is Mugi. She, through the use of sweets, vacation trips and the Kotobuki fortune, is trying to turn the keionbu into her own private harem.]
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Goggen wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

I'm going to have to side with TitanXL on this one. Yes, the manga is the original source. The anime adaption is a separate canon unto itself. Events exclusive to the anime don't happen in the manga, but they're still obviously "canon" within the anime.

And I still don't understand what any of this has to do with the topic at hand.

Eh, I see your point. I guess this is just a matter of different opinions.

Quot homines, tot sententiae.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Goggen wrote:

But that's, unfortunately, usually what it is in anime/manga. Generally speaking, it's not there to portray homosexual relationships in a positive light or promote tolerance or any such noble intention.

You aren't watching the right shows

Quote:
At best, it's there to function as fan service for horny otaku who like to fantasize about hot girl-on-girl action featuring the characters.

Are you seriously going to lecture ME about yuri? Seriously?

Quote:
At worst, it's there to establish a character as a "freak" or a "pervert" or some sort of deviant.

And this is terrible, and not just something that happens in anime and manga.

Quote:
I'm sure there are exceptions, but for the most part I don't see "lesbian subtext" in anime/manga as a good thing at all.

See above statement about you not watching the right shows. I can name a number of shows with explicit lesbianism or very, very transparent subtext, from the last year, where it was not treated as deviant or otherwise.

Quote:
By the way - if you're into that kind of subtext when it comes to K-On!, I think you should give the manga a try. Kakifly seems to like that kind of stuff more than the folks at KyoAni do... There's still not much beyond random lesyay teasing, but there's slightly more of it.

What in the world makes you think I haven't read the manga? I am not in the habit of opining about things I don't have an understanding of. The K-On manga is a perfectly adequate 4koma gag manga, its no Hidamari Sketch or Azumanga Daioh, but its serviceable. However the success of the anime adaption can be layed almost entirely at the feet of KyoAni, who elevated the material well above its source.

Quote:
Quote:
If Ritsu were a boy, no one would doubt what this meant.

I would.

Bullshit.
Goggen

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
You aren't watching the right shows

The right shows for yuri? Eh, you might be right about that.

Quote:
Are you seriously going to lecture ME about yuri? Seriously?

Nobody's "lecturing". I realize you're well aware of what I said, I mentioned it because I felt it relevant to the discussion. That's all. No need to take it personally.

Quote:
What in the world makes you think I haven't read the manga?

"I don't really give a damn about the manga. " You can see how that statement would give the impression that you weren't interested enough in the manga to read it, right? Besides, I only meant it as an honest recommendation. Please don't bite my head off over it.

Quote:
The K-On manga is a perfectly adequate 4koma gag manga, its no Hidamari Sketch or Azumanga Daioh, but its serviceable. However the success of the anime adaption can be layed almost entirely at the feet of KyoAni, who elevated the material well above its source.

This, I will agree with. To a certain extent, anyway - I do believe the manga deserves more recognition than it tends to get, but yeah; the anime is an improvement on the source material in pretty much every way.

Quote:
Bullshit.

Okay, so now I'm a liar? You know, you should think about toning down the hostility a bit. I'm not your damn enemy, I'm just a fellow fan who just happens to disagree with you on one particular issue.

Note that (as far as I'm aware, at least) I didn't say anything to oppose your views on yuri or whatever in this post, which you obviously feel strongly about. So it should be okay to let the matter drop now, yes?
Goggen

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:11 am Reply with quote
Getting back to the topic at hand, it seems this part of the article:
Quote:
The creator will continue writing the separate K-ON! manga with Azusa, Ui, Jun, and the other characters still in high school that also launched in Houbunsha's Manga Time Kirara Carat magazine in April 2011.

...is unconfirmed. Apparently, the publishers haven't commented on whether or not Azusa's chapters will continue, or if this is the end of the K-On! manga full stop.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote
Goggen wrote:
Getting back to the topic at hand, it seems this part of the article:
Quote:
The creator will continue writing the separate K-ON! manga with Azusa, Ui, Jun, and the other characters still in high school that also launched in Houbunsha's Manga Time Kirara Carat magazine in April 2011.

...is unconfirmed. Apparently, the publishers haven't commented on whether or not Azusa's chapters will continue, or if this is the end of the K-On! manga full stop.

Yes, when a reporter for a Japanese news site asked Hōbunsha whether the High School chapters of K-On! would continue, the publishing company did not answer the question.

sburstall

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Polycell wrote:
sburstall wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
or even find boyfriends

The Otaku would never let this happen.

LOL..I forget. The otakus might have sent kaifly to the hospital like they did with Kannagi's mangaka when they found out she wasn't a virgin (dark Kannagi).
I've heard mixed rumors on this - some say it was because she merely had a boyfriend before(with no sign she'd been deflowered). Can anybody point me to a definitive source?

She only had a boyfriend. Otaku take this to believe she's a slut since she has liked multiple guys, thus she's not a virgin.

I was just bringing this up as an example on how bad the otakus can be. I didn't want to see the same thing happen if one of the K-ON! girls decided to have a b/f.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4