• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Powerpuff Girls, Aya Hirano Team Up for Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

EDIT: This Japanese upload of a Season 5 episode proves that the Japanese dub DID go farther than the TV Tokyo episodes.

I'm curious, what did you mean? I'm a little confused. At first I thought you meant footage. Did they not show this episode on TVT?

Only the first 50 episodes were shown on TV Tokyo, and I was also under the impression that that's also where the Japanese dub stopped. I guess they continued it when the show moved to Cartoon Network Japan. The Google translation of the Japanese Wikipedia can be so confusing! Rolling Eyes
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
The origina was charming in part because it was one of those cartoons that could be enjoyed by adults. It was an important element that was missing from PPGZ

I think the huge doujinshi and etcetera market for Z that the original doesn't have would imply the opposite, to be honest.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

EDIT: This Japanese upload of a Season 5 episode proves that the Japanese dub DID go farther than the TV Tokyo episodes.

I'm curious, what did you mean? I'm a little confused. At first I thought you meant footage. Did they not show this episode on TVT?

Only the first 50 episodes were shown on TV Tokyo, and I was also under the impression that that's also where the Japanese dub stopped. I guess they continued it when the show moved to Cartoon Network Japan. The Google translation of the Japanese Wikipedia can be so confusing! Rolling Eyes

Hehe, I got it, thanks! <3
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
rizuchan wrote:
The origina was charming in part because it was one of those cartoons that could be enjoyed by adults. It was an important element that was missing from PPGZ

I think the huge doujinshi and etcetera market for Z that the original doesn't have would imply the opposite, to be honest.

I think there's a big divide here. They were both targeted toward children with some slight adultish elements here and there, but the cultural divide happens with the genre. Cartoons like PPG can be enjoyed by adults watching television in America, but the DPPGZ anime had a niche catering toward the magical girl fan audience, including older men.
They each have their charming points in that respect, and they use similar content and characters, but they're far too different, genre-wise , to be contrasted by their charm points in this case.

I like both, but it's kinda hard to contrast them when they're so different and play by different rules. That's just how it is, whether you like them both, one or the other, or neither.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
The American Powerpuff Girls cartoon has a LOT of double-entendres, and jokes only adults would get (but aren't too obvious or offensive for kids). I almost enjoy watching it more now than I did when I was in Elementary school.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
rizuchan wrote:

You're overplaying the market; it's not that huge for either, and many of those doujin play on the teen sexuality of the girls, but something they can't really do much with the original (though there's more art of the original still years later, while PPGZ's have been waning scarce - basically, the affection for the original endures among fans while the otaku Z-enthusiasm moves on). Unless they age their looks a bit, as Bleedman does:

Besides, what they were discussing about is the writing - the original's writing was clever enough that adults could enjoy it too (and not for sexy girls visuals - that's what many made those doujins for, less for the writing or relationships).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
enurtosol wrote:
It's not that huge for either, and many of those doujin play on the teen sexuality of the girls, but something they can't really do much with the original

Then that would mean one has more appeal than the other in that department, because it was taken into consideration.

Quote:
(though there's more art of the original still years later, while PPGZ's have been getting scarcer - basically, the affection for the original endures among fans while the otaku Z-enthusiasm moves on).

Well that's a wishy-washy statement. You can't really make a statement like that and back it up since I doubt you have any empirical evidence to support this bogus claim.

Quote:
Besides, what they were discussing about is the writing - the original's writing was clever enough that adults could enjoy it too (and not for sexy girls visuals - that's what many made those doujins for, less for the writing or relationships).

That's the thing. You could have a couple jokes here and there, or you could treat the entire thing as a straightforward execution. Take Sedusa. There's probably some double-entendre joke in the original show about her at one point... maybe. Or you can just go the Z route and actually be outright with it. Her breasts are huge, jiggle, and she uses them to live up to the 'seduce' origin of her name. That seems to be more respectful and appealing to the audience's intelligence than just making a random quip once. Same thing with other things in the show.

As far as relationships go.. what relationships? The original was pretty much a bunch of standalone episodes. There wasn't really a developing cast of characters or relationships at all, at least for more than one episode when it was the 'plot of the week'. Unlike Z where we got a look into the girls home lives, and even some of the villains lives, and some romance here and there.

My point is saying Z lacked the element for adults to enjoy it (for any reason: visuals, writing, relationships, what have you) makes no sense. If anything, it's a favorable mark for Z that the original is hindered by simply because of the difference in censorship and writing standards.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:04 am Reply with quote
In the original series, Sedusa disguised herself as another woman to manipulate the Professor in a (presumed) sexual way to move in to the PPG's house, and take advantage of the situation. In another episode, she kidnapped and dressed up as Ms. Bellum, and sedused the Mayor on a daily basis so she could be excused and cause trouble. The narrator also referred to her as being "naughty". You need to watch more PPG. You don't know what you're missing. From what I've seen of Z (I've seen a dozen or so episodes), I liked what I saw, but it just didn't seem as creative or funny as the original. Plus the art-style and concept of PPGZ just seemed like a generic magical girl series to me. It's good for what it's worth, but obviously it can't compare to the original (which includes it's Japanese dub, which is pretty entertaining to watch, and IMO, represents PPG very well).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:26 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtosol wrote:
It's not that huge for either, and many of those doujin play on the teen sexuality of the girls, but something they can't really do much with the original

Then that would mean one has more appeal than the other in that department, because it was taken into consideration.

Not appeal, but simply "something to work with." Since the many doujins are going for the sexuality angle, they just simply have more to work with with PPGZ than with the original. Kinda like Nanoha when she grew older.

TitanXL wrote:

Quote:
(though there's more art of the original still years later, while PPGZ's have been getting scarcer - basically, the affection for the original endures among fans while the otaku Z-enthusiasm moves on).

Well that's a wishy-washy statement. You can't really make a statement like that and back it up since I doubt you have any empirical evidence to support this bogus claim.

What bogus claim? Our club's empirical evidence are actually a few PPG "aficionados" who collect pretty much everything PPG-related have always asked their J-pals and otaku to get PPG-related stuff for them in Japan, including PPG-Z, particularly in comikets and bookstores. Compared to well-known manga, they've always have difficult time finding them since the market for them aren't that big, though there was a nice uptick for both when PPG-Z was airing of course. But now years later, it's still a bit hard to find PPG stuff but they could still find them; meanwhile, those handful otaku had moved on from PPG-Z - hardly nobody but nobody ever talks about it anymore, let alone find stuff for it (while J-animation fans still talk about PPG; to them PPG-Z was just a flash in the pan).

Now please, what's your empirical evidence to back up your claim that the market for it was such huge over there, particularly since ya seem to only ever hang out with otaku (who have moved on) and not other animation fans? Because it was never that huge, and certainly not now, especially among whimsical otaku.

TitanXL wrote:

Quote:

That's the thing. You could have a couple jokes here and there, or you could treat the entire thing as a straightforward execution. Take Sedusa. There's probably some double-entendre joke in the original show about her at one point... maybe. Or you can just go the Z route and actually be outright with it. Her breasts are huge, jiggle, and she uses them to live up to the 'seduce' origin of her name. That seems to be more respectful and appealing to the audience's intelligence than just making a random quip once. Same thing with other things in the show.

Depends on the audience. The original audience were kids, so of course they can't do that. But they had enough respect for adults to get it. So it has to be more *hint*hint*wink*wink* like some manga- or comic-based films giving some nods to fans who read the manga that the regular audience won't get.

TitanXL wrote:

As far as relationships go.. what relationships? The original was pretty much a bunch of standalone episodes. There wasn't really a developing cast of characters or relationships at all, at least for more than one episode when it was the 'plot of the week'.

Don't confuse relationships with development. Just because there wasn't much development of relationships in the original doesn't mean there weren't established relationships to begin with. The main relationships were between the sisters and between the girls and their rogue gallery. Just like some slice-of-life anime is not about developing the already-established relationships but rather more about what they do with it in everyday circumstances.

TitanXL wrote:

Unlike Z where we got a look into the girls home lives, and even some of the villains lives, and some romance here and there.

My point is saying Z lacked the element for adults to enjoy it (for any reason: visuals, writing, relationships, what have you) makes no sense. If anything, it's a favorable mark for Z that the original is hindered by simply because of the difference in censorship and writing standards.

Hey, I'm not saying PPG-Z didn't have its points; I've always said it's poor execution. For what the original tried to do, it did better than what PPG-Z tried to do - there's already tons of better anime that already did before what PPG-Z was trying; seen it done that. In my opinion, it was inane. For instance, like when Hollywood tried to make Godzilla more grown-up and realistic than the sillier original depictions - but the execution was bad, resulting in not the Godzilla we know. So just because they tried to give her more realistic backstory, some more rational motivations in her mind, flesh out the character; if the execution is poor, it still didn't make it as memorable as the originals. Seen it, done that; better with others, but just wasn't Godzilla or Mojo Jojo. (See what I did thar! Laughing )

Last edited by enurtsol on Tue May 08, 2012 7:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
They play by different rules, were raised in different markets, and have completely different standards of writing, so the end results are completely different, both in the show and in the market, for better or for worse.

I mean, so what if one is more "adult" than the other? What does that prove? That American writers are smarter for hiding their adult humor? That Japanese writers are better for being completely outright with their sexual innuendo? PPG had to censor itself because it was made in America, so it had to be clever to put any of that adult humor in. DPPGZ didn't have to censor itself because it was made in Japan, so it didn't even need to be clever with censorship and could be clever in its outright representation instead. Not to mention, PPG is a comedy cartoon while DPPGZ is a magical girl anime. They play by different rules in the nature of their settings and standards of writing.

Neither is necessarily better than the other. They either appeal to you or they don't. None of your individual feelings are "bogus." You just value different things.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
In the original series, Sedusa disguised herself as another woman to manipulate the Professor in a (presumed) sexual way to move in to the PPG's house, and take advantage of the situation. In another episode, she kidnapped and dressed up as Ms. Bellum, and sedused the Mayor on a daily basis so she could be excused and cause trouble. The narrator also referred to her as being "naughty". You need to watch more PPG. You don't know what you're missing.

Also probably just not his type of show. It's mostly episodic (though Precure can also be MOTW for stretches) and unserious, even when the episode by itself can be good. It's mostly non-sexy, when much anime fen appeal is the alluring design of the girls. Characters aren't amenable for cross-pairing up romantically or otherwise. And they don't speak Japanese, save for a few instances. Kidding TTXL, I know ya watch other stuff. Laughing
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As far as relationships go.. what relationships? The original was pretty much a bunch of standalone episodes. There wasn't really a developing cast of characters or relationships at all, at least for more than one episode when it was the 'plot of the week'. Unlike Z where we got a look into the girls home lives, and even some of the villains lives, and some romance here and there.

Funny you mention standalone episodes because I definently remember Z being pretty episodic. Very Happy Oh sure it may have gone in depth withe girls a couple of times(though turning Blossom into generic magical girl heroine #2991 was unwelcomed), but as a whole I found it to be more childish than the original considering it turned some of the more serious villains such as Him into a total joke and got a bit too "monster of the week" esque with it's plot.

Now while I do despise Z with a passion I will admit it did have a couple of decent ideas(I found the secret identity thing sort of interesting), but for the most part it was a generic magical girl show with PPG slapped onto it and there's not much use in trying to pretend like it was anything more than that. I also don;t see how it being slightly more blatant in it's panderi-I mean "mature" content made it any better than the original. Personally I facepalm at shows that try to hard to have raunchy humor(not that I mind fanservice shows much but you get the idea) and I personally found this to be funnier than any joke in PPGZ.

But I suppose at the end of the day they are two different shows sharing the same name. If you like Z then more power to you I guess, but personally I don;t see how making it a magical girl show with a best a handful of elements taken from the original series somehow made it superior.

I'll stop here for now though. After all the article's about the original PPG/CN and mentions nothing of Z...which I suppose says something.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Besides, the original PPG often acknowledged and made fun of it's own "monster of the week" formula. I liked that it didn't take itself too seriously. PPGZ took a different approach, and didn't really know when to laugh at itself. I'm not sure if it kept in the backstory with Mojo Jojo. That was an ironic part of the original series with the main villain in essence being responsible for the creation of the very thing he's trying to destroy. I also thought it was interesting when the Rowdy Ruff Boys came back through HIM to seek their revenge. The original series also referenced past episodes frequently (and sometimes even creating followup episodes). PPG just might have more continuity than PPGZ, which took a totally different direction with it's writing and style.

Like I said, the two shows are almost totally incomparable. Yeah the concept is the same, and the characters are the same, but otherwise, they are totally different from one another.
Goggen

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
rizuchan wrote:

Not that I particularly care anymore, but I was something of a PPG fan back in the day when the original was first airing and believe me there was a lot and I mean a LOT of fan made comics and artwork around back then. The major PPG fan sites have bit the dust since then so I can't offer up any links as proof, but meh.
sburstall

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Besides, the original PPG often acknowledged and made fun of it's own "monster of the week" formula. I liked that it didn't take itself too seriously. PPGZ took a different approach, and didn't really know when to laugh at itself. I'm not sure if it kept in the backstory with Mojo Jojo. That was an ironic part of the original series with the main villain in essence being responsible for the creation of the very thing he's trying to destroy. I also thought it was interesting when the Rowdy Ruff Boys came back through HIM to seek their revenge. The original series also referenced past episodes frequently (and sometimes even creating followup episodes). PPG just might have more continuity than PPGZ, which took a totally different direction with it's writing and style.

Like I said, the two shows are almost totally incomparable. Yeah the concept is the same, and the characters are the same, but otherwise, they are totally different from one another.

I was thinking this also. PPG and PPGZ had their own nitch they filled and were just enough different. There was some connection with the monsters on PPGZ unlike the PPG. To me PPG were at just a time when CN was getting on it's feet and Hanna-Barbara was the main animators for them. This included Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, and Johnny Bravo. To me, these were the transition from H-B of the 70s and 80s to the 90s and beyond. So these series have a fond memory to me because of this.

PPGZ now takes those memories and implants them into an anime format...and done very well, I might add. It's now they have a Japanese culture twist to them. So it makes them different enough to like them but not really do a complete comparison to the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3