• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Milos & Otis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why people always like to make a big dividing line between "western" and "eastern/Japanese" when it comes to the stylistic choices of anime. Things generally aren't that absolute.

In the end, though, I'd like for at least a few more anime to be more mixed. Anime that is deeply Japanese is really cool (especially since you might learn a few things about Japanese culture) but that doesn't mean you can't take ideas from the west (I'm still waiting for an anime that has a primarily rap OST, Japan), much like how western works can take stuff from the east.
Hotaru99

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I think it really is just about my personal tastes. I have low standards.. I love stupid slapstick comedy and if something makes me laugh anywhere near as hard as the snowball fight episode of season two, that's plenty enough for me. And not just anime, some of my favorite movies are the Scary Movie, Mel Brooks, Steve Martin and Leslie Nielson movies.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Different cultures have different standards of what makes something good. Look at a show like Horizon... Completely hated in America, reviews were really low everywhere, but it was one of the biggest hits of the season in Japan. These kinds of shows just appeal more to their culture than they do to ours.

Is it really that it appeals to all Japanese, or that it just appeals to otaku or whoever else is the more specified audience for Horizon?

Also, here's a thought. Maybe people like me and Shenl742 (and they do exist if you take off the "western vs eastern appeal" lens) doesn't give as much of a crap about the genre or the cliches so much as whether the story in it can lead to a conclusion and make a point out of it and provide us a reason keep watching the characters who are suppose to move the story along. Not everything is a matter of "I like action shows only" or "I like male leads."

Exactly. Age? Race? Sexuality? Gender? Religion? Upbringing? Can these shape a person's tastes? Yes.

Should these be used to judge a person's taste? NO!

That is called stereotyping. That is called discrimination. That is just plain WRONG!

ya have those standards then good for you however cultural and effects do play in to how a person is accepts media. My mother and her generation for example hate anything to do with gay's or lesbians in any form of media. Sadly most of my family is the same way because of the way they where raised in this backwoods state I live in.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Tue May 15, 2012 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh for goodness sake! So are you people here that have been arguing this so far seriously trying to validate one's culture as the most important influence on one's taste or something and just flat-out believe every other factor Shenl742 applied doesn't matter?!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Oh for goodness sake! So are you people here that have been arguing this so far seriously trying to validate one's culture as the most important influence on one's taste or something and just flat-out believe every other factor Shenl742 applied doesn't matter?!

Then if you don't believe this is true, please tell me the reason why video game tastes in America and Japan are almost completely the opposite. I'll be looking forward to hearing your reasoning.

And no, I don't think its the only thing that matters. But your culture is one the most important parts to it. If you're raised in a society where cute is considered good and extreme violence is considered bad, then your tastes will likely conform to the norm.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Tue May 15, 2012 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
(I'm still waiting for an anime that has a primarily rap OST, Japan)

Try the Samurai Champloo OSTs.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I did like the wine episode of Golgo 13, but that was obviously more of a social commentary than a thriller.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

I certainly am not arguing that position, and I don't think Ryan is either. But Shenl did argue that a person's culture was completely irrelevant to their taste, which is just as equally absurd a position to take.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
Funny enough, all that talk of 'differing cultures' is precisely why stuff like Sora no Otoshimono isn't being taken in a proper context in this thread.

For the Japanese, having fun with portrayals of sexuality is just entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. There's no morality aspects to it unless it involves some kind of illegal coercion or something like that. While Westerners put all kinds of weird and overtly complex subtexts to sexuality all the while demonizing sex as something intrinsically to look down upon. All the while they show all the violence without restraint and it's perfectly fine.

As it were, it could explain why stuff like adult modeling in Japan is so prevalent and there's no real outcry over it. In fact, a whole swath of the population dabbles in modeling of any sort (even nude/sexualized stuff) and it's just seen as entertainment, nothing more.

Funny thing is, I wasn't even introduced towards fanservicey/sexy anime from male fans. I was introduced them from a lot of female friends who took the genre the way it's supposed to be: Just entertainment.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
I passed up on Forte mainly because they didn't include the Blu-Ray in the package.

I was wondering about that! At first I thought maybe my copy was a screener or something. The DVD menues looked gross on my PS3, too.

KLAC wrote:
are you serious bro?

I am no bro!

KLAC wrote:
come not like you're against anime with like that give worse fears that manyuu hikenchou get a dub someday?

Just reading the Wikipedia description it sounds alarming... but if it was well-made it could still be good. You never know.

One reason Heaven's Lost Property is so irritating is because it's almost good. There are a lot of scenes that are almost funny, but for every time I chuckled there were about three scenes that made me cringe.

Animegomaniac wrote:
I'll just say they're robots created by and for that blonde evil guy with wings and leave it at that. At least the chibi forms weren't described as "limited animation" this time around.

Oh, I know the difference between chibi and limited animation. Some of the chibi scenes in the first season also used pretty limited animation. Other scenes were really well done with excessive animation.

geishageek wrote:
Erin has love for Meet the Feebles? I thought I was the only oddball in the universe that loves this movie!

I never said I loved it. I respect it.

Shippoyasha wrote:
2- Perverseness is 100% natural regardless of gender or orientation.

Whoa whoa, that gets back to a point I was trying to make originally. The definition of "Perverted" is "abnormal". It's totally normal to be interested in sex (regardless of gender or orientation). That's not "being perverted," save, perhaps, in a middle school slang sense of the word, where even a boy interested in kissing qualifies as a "pervert". For those interested in a truly "perverted" dark comedy, I'm going to recommend John Water's film Pink Flamingos. (I didn't make it through the first 10 minutes, but the Wikipedia description sounds hilarious...)

really really really come on give besides if when movie & s3 of sora no oto come i'm sure goes ok this KLAC is right there good series to watch amount f-service.

sure give all bit part of funi-service doing part give wonder how you say on whole panty & stocking anime also freezing anime in upcoming months.

i'm sure there both YES YES YES.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
Shenl742, you need to chill. From what I've read, no one is trying to be racist here. It is a widely-known fact that certain series fare far better in the Japanese fan base than the American one and vice versa. Some of that's because of cultural differences and some is because of differing expectations. Frankly, I gave up long ago trying to figure out why certain series that flop over here are quite popular over there (like the aforementioned Horizon, for instance). It's just the way it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Shenl742, you need to chill. From what I've read, no one is trying to be racist here. It is a widely-known fact that certain series fare far better in the Japanese fan base than the American one and vice versa. Some of that's because of cultural differences and some is because of differing expectations. Frankly, I gave up long ago trying to figure out why certain series that flop over here are quite popular over there (like the aforementioned Horizon, for instance). It's just the way it is.

Fine, I'll drop it, and I apologize to Ryansaotome as well if I jumped the gun.

He probably wasn't trying to imply something racially insensitive in regards to "tastes", but if I misinterprated that as such, I'm very sorry.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
Funny enough, all that talk of 'differing cultures' is precisely why stuff like Sora no Otoshimono isn't being taken in a proper context in this thread.

For the Japanese, having fun with portrayals of sexuality is just entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. There's no morality aspects to it unless it involves some kind of illegal coercion or something like that. While Westerners put all kinds of weird and overtly complex subtexts to sexuality all the while demonizing sex as something intrinsically to look down upon. All the while they show all the violence without restraint and it's perfectly fine.

As it were, it could explain why stuff like adult modeling in Japan is so prevalent and there's no real outcry over it. In fact, a whole swath of the population dabbles in modeling of any sort (even nude/sexualized stuff) and it's just seen as entertainment, nothing more.

Funny thing is, I wasn't even introduced towards fanservicey/sexy anime from male fans. I was introduced them from a lot of female friends who took the genre the way it's supposed to be: Just entertainment.

You are in serious denial if you really think that fanservice shows exist for any other reason than to sexually arouse the viewer.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:

Everyone who preaches about this sort of thing seems to have an incredibly poor grasp of mainstream Japanese culture.

Shows like Sora no Otoshimono are not mainstream fare accepted by the mass public in Japan. They are oversexed otaku bait that sells to a very specific, very small audience there. And no, not a "whole swath of the population there is involved in modeling". That is simply not true. It'd be like looking at an issue of Vanity Fair and concluding that a big chunk of Americans are involved in fashion modeling. Japan might seem superficially less uptight about sex gags in mainstream entertainment but I'd argue it isn't nearly as permissive and open about sex as anyone seems to be suggesting.

And this isn't knowledge based on something someone told me on a message board or something I'm assuming based on the anime I've seen, this comes from very long conversations on this issue with the many people I know who have lived and worked in Japan for a very long time, in addition to visiting the country several times myself. I'm no expert, but most of what you're saying is flat-out wrong and seems to be coming from the anime you watch, not the actual culture itself.

Remember, you're watching a bunch of late-night or internet-only sexed-up shows for otaku. It'd be like watching Showtime and HBO original programming only and coming to the conclusion that America must be A-OK with rampant nudity on mainstream network TV.

The thing that gets me about a lot of these arguments is that what you're really saying is "the reason you don't like this show is because you don't get it and you don't have the same deep understanding of Japanese culture as I do and if you did you'd totally like and accept this show just the same as me". Lots of people don't like shows like this because they're pandering as hard as they can to the horny teenage boy market and have little else of value or interest in them - someone earlier described it as a "dumb titty show", and that's accurate. You may like the story, and that's fine, but there isn't some secret Japanese culture aspect to it. The appeal of these shows is not at all difficult to figure out.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Everyone who preaches about this sort of thing seems to have an incredibly poor grasp of mainstream Japanese culture.

Shows like Sora no Otoshimono are not mainstream fare accepted by the mass public in Japan. They are oversexed otaku bait that sells to a very specific, very small audience there. And no, not a "whole swath of the population there is involved in modeling". That is simply not true. It'd be like looking at an issue of Vanity Fair and concluding that a big chunk of Americans are involved in fashion modeling. Japan might seem superficially less uptight about sex gags in mainstream entertainment but I'd argue it isn't nearly as permissive and open about sex as anyone seems to be suggesting.

And this isn't knowledge based on something someone told me on a message board or something I'm assuming based on the anime I've seen, this comes from very long conversations on this issue with the many people I know who have lived and worked in Japan for a very long time, in addition to visiting the country several times myself. I'm no expert, but most of what you're saying is flat-out wrong and seems to be coming from the anime you watch, not the actual culture itself.

Remember, you're watching a bunch of late-night or internet-only sexed-up shows for otaku. It'd be like watching Showtime and HBO original programming only and coming to the conclusion that America must be A-OK with rampant nudity on mainstream network TV.

The thing that gets me about a lot of these arguments is that what you're really saying is "the reason you don't like this show is because you don't get it and you don't have the same deep understanding of Japanese culture as I do and if you did you'd totally like and accept this show just the same as me". Lots of people don't like shows like this because they're pandering as hard as they can to the horny teenage boy market and have little else of value or interest in them - someone earlier described it as a "dumb titty show", and that's accurate. You may like the story, and that's fine, but there isn't some secret Japanese culture aspect to it. The appeal of these shows is not at all difficult to figure out.

Oh, I don't disagree with you one bit that it isn't a good representation of Japanese overall... but what I'm saying is that its a representation of Japanese anime fans overall. From what I can tell in Japan, most fans of anime itself are generally teenagers or otaku... most other people generally stop watching anime as they get older and just focus on manga, which has a much larger range of topics and genres. But in terms of fans of anime itself, these are the types of shows that the Japanese fanbase prefers as a whole.

Also, I wasn't saying anything about "Understanding Japanese culture" or anything. I was just saying that people who like these shows have tastes more similar to anime fans in Japan. The typical anime fans in Japan prefer these types of ecchi, harem and moe shows (which is why they are constantly made) over the typical kinda anime that Westerners prefer. Thats not to say one is better than the other, just that people have different tastes and standards over what makes a good anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7