• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Ringing Bell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
That goat is f**king badass. He'd be the most awesome pet ever! The whole movie feels like it was made by Tezuka. In fact, this is something that would be right up his alley Cool
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
That goat is f**king badass. He'd be the most awesome pet ever! The whole movie feels like it was made by Tezuka. In fact, this is something that would be right up his alley Cool

If you mean the character in Ringing Bell, he's a ram (if not, than I apologize if that's the case, excuse me, but since we've been talking about either film, I can get mixed up very easily)!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
The sole thing about this article I can relate to is the The Mouse and his Child movie. I saw it once and only once many years in English. Forgot which channel. I think it was Disney back in the ancient days.
Vampireseal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to add something about the "moral" of Ringing Bell if there is one. Years ago, I thought that perhaps the moral of the story was that it was better to be one of your own group and to fit in, ie., Chirin only got into trouble because he tried to be a wolf. Now that I've re-watched it, I realize my first theory was entirely off the mark.

I feel this short story was more a commentary and cautionary tale about the decisions we make. As children, we always assume our decisions will be the right ones and we don't think about the consequences, either how our decisions will change us or those around us. Chirin makes a decision in this story that changes everything about him, and its not necessarily in his favor. spoiler[Sure, he gets his revenge, but at what cost?] Life is lovely and cruel. We make choices that either work out or they don't, and we don't always get a do-over.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
The sole thing about this article I can relate to is the The Mouse and his Child movie. I saw it once and only once many years in English. Forgot which channel. I think it was Disney back in the ancient days.

Yep, they showed it, though i first saw it via it's RCA/Columbia Pictures video release personally.

Vampireseal wrote:
I just wanted to add something about the "moral" of Ringing Bell if there is one. Years ago, I thought that perhaps the moral of the story was that it was better to be one of your own group and to fit in, ie., Chirin only got into trouble because he tried to be a wolf. Now that I've re-watched it, I realize my first theory was entirely off the mark.

I feel this short story was more a commentary and cautionary tale about the decisions we make. As children, we always assume our decisions will be the right ones and we don't think about the consequences, either how our decisions will change us or those around us. Chirin makes a decision in this story that changes everything about him, and its not necessarily in his favor. spoiler[Sure, he gets his revenge, but at what cost?] Life is lovely and cruel. We make choices that either work out or they don't, and we don't always get a do-over.

I sorta felt that was the point of the movie just after watching it, and have made that point in an earlier post. Too bad I didn't see it though as an 8 year old, or it might've put me in a state of stunned depression for a few months to a year. Razz
Vampireseal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:

True, we only wonder why that sort of ride came to a halt in the mid 80's. They've also made a few live-action stuff under the Sanrio namesake like "The Glacier Fox" some may remember.

Glacier Fox! So that's what it was called! Thanks Studio Toledo! Man, that documentary made me cry buckets. I remembered that it was Japanese, but never its name.
dahpaper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
since this column started you've given me so many quality animes. I've come across some of the greatest pieces of film, story telling, anime etc that i've ever seen and it's been a remarkable thing. I have found some of your choices poor though. And that's not a bad thing. I connect with some media as I'm able and the true test to their quality is really time. In 5-10 years when I see these again that's when I'll know how good they are and if they get better with time. Recently, I haven't seen as many artilcles so i hope your not outta recommendations. Keep it up! it's been a great experience watching animes with you. Let me jsut name some of the animes you've named that i've come to love

Windaria
Time Stranger
Star of Cottonland

and I have collected others that hopefully i'll love when i have the time to see them
camoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Registered just to reply to this thread:

Love both ringing bell and mouse and his child (the books by Hoban in general are quite good--and weird.)

Of ringing bell, the one thing I was surprised not mentioned was the parallel to various samurai stories (you know you watch 'em). Namely, that there is a dichotomy in the world between the weak (helpless) and the strong who are isolated/alone. Ironically, being weak and ignorant seems to be the happier of the two choices--although I'm not sure the film is endorsing one perspective over the other. It's really a quite thoughtful film.

Like many others, I copied my VHS over to DVD at some point, but a real release would be very much appreciated.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
Vampireseal wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:

True, we only wonder why that sort of ride came to a halt in the mid 80's. They've also made a few live-action stuff under the Sanrio namesake like "The Glacier Fox" some may remember.

Glacier Fox! So that's what it was called! Thanks Studio Toledo! Man, that documentary made me cry buckets. I remembered that it was Japanese, but never its name.

Glad to be of help as usual!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Only recently, Sanrio has begun to produce theatrical movies again. One is a film of the character Cinnamoroll, while another has been animated with Madhouse Studios called "Mouse Story: The Adventure of George and Gerald". Wonder if those have gotten fansubbed yet?

No, they haven't been subbed (though I WISH SOMEONE would sub the Cinnamon movie!!). And yes, I saw this movie, and it was sad as heck. Though I'm addicted to the theme song! I wish I could have it (in English and Japanese)!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I managed to find a 2-disc DVD of Ringing Bell on Ebay with both the English and Japanese languages.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ringing-Bell-2-Disc-Unico-Sanrio-Anime-DVD_W0QQitemZ270360112471QQihZ017QQcategoryZ617QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wanna buy it, but I'm not sure. The reviews for the seller are good, but this expires in 2 days.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I managed to find a 2-disc DVD of Ringing Bell on Ebay with both the English and Japanese languages.

Hope that wasn't you that bought it -- it was a giant honking bootleg.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hope that wasn't you that bought it -- it was a giant honking bootleg.

Yeah it was me that bought it. But I'm actually REALLY happy with it despite it being a bootleg. It has both the English and Japanese tracks (though no subtitles), good quality, and those little animated shorts that came with the Japanese version! I would ask my dad to get us the bootleg DVD of Sea Prince and the Fire Child, but we're kinda stuck on other things. But hey! At least getting a bootleg is better than nothing!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4