• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Hiiro Tale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

I think we do agree, but I am called a troll because I call 'em like I see 'em. I also have strong opinions that people don't care to hear. They don't like that I have a very low opinion of the typical Japanese otaku and the hikikimori (shut-in looser) who are driving the current anime market. Hey, I understand, but haters gonna hate the hater...

Says the 16 year old who's first thought for making things better is "more death!"

Also, your ideas are not New! And! Exciting!, I've seen your exact views expressed by more people than I can remember, across dozens of forums and boards, over my decade as an anime fan.

Its not your opinions, its how you express them, and your exceptionally irritating self-importance when you express them.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

I think we do agree, but I am called a troll because I call 'em like I see 'em. I also have strong opinions that people don't care to hear. They don't like that I have a very low opinion of the typical Japanese otaku and the hikikimori (shut-in looser) who are driving the current anime market. Hey, I understand, but haters gonna hate the hater...

Says the 16 year old who's first thought for making things better is "more death!"

I think you're confusing people here.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:

I think you're confusing people here.

...maybe. I'd have to go back and check. dragon and Chagen's posts tend to blur together so that line might not be entirely correct.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
zensunni wrote:
While the pirates do things for show the majority of the time, and the majority of the story they are kind of like paper lions, I think people have forgotten what they did to the ship in the 'Practice Cruise' arc that was firing on the Odette II. They certainly didn't ask questions or try to take them into custody or something. They just blew them out of space, thank you very much! Of course, one of the two pirate ships involved was protecting its future captain, the other was protecting their future captain, and their current captain's daughter.

So, while the story does generally paint a rosie picture of the pirating world, they are capable of some cold hearted action as well...

As I recall, they were not pew-pewing them into space dust, they were blinding them using the reflective sail when they noticed the shots must have been aimed manually. That's not cruelty, that's a diversionary escape tactic. I don't think a single person has died in this anime. Harlock didn't do much true pirating either, but he sure as hell killed a ton of Mazone when he needed to. Emeraldas takes down entire fleets in a single barrage.

The Odette II was blinding them, then the cavalry came in and blew them to space dust! Of course, it doesn't show them hitting the Lightning 11, which was the ship that was attacking the girls' ship, it does show both the Bentenmaru and the Barbalusa firing on them. (20:53 on the Crunchyroll stream of episode 5.)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Its not your opinions, its how you express them, and your exceptionally irritating self-importance when you express them.

Oh, the irony.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
The Odette II was blinding them, then the cavalry came in and blew them to space dust! Of course, it doesn't show them hitting the Lightning 11, which was the ship that was attacking the girls' ship, it does show both the Bentenmaru and the Barbalusa firing on them. (20:53 on the Crunchyroll stream of episode 5.)

I watched fansubs of Bodacious Space Pirates (legal streaming is not available in my region) and stopped at Episode 6 because I was bored.

I thought that this bit mentioned here is the biggest problem I have with Bodacious Space Pirates. The creators (author, anime director, scriptwriters, etc.) have successfully created a world where piracy can be seen as a norm, and since I like stories set in an amoral world, I thought that was quite fascinating.

Despite that, I still found the series very boring for all the things many have said before. I'd say that it's a boring story set in a really interesting world.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

I thought that this bit mentioned here is the biggest problem I have with Bodacious Space Pirates. The creators (author, anime director, scriptwriters, etc.) have successfully created a world where piracy can be seen as a norm, and since I like stories set in an amoral world, I thought that was quite fascinating.

Despite that, I still found the series very boring for all the things many have said before. I'd say that it's a boring story set in a really interesting world.

Err..no, thats not the situation at hand.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

Err..no, thats not the situation at hand.

Would you feel as strongly for Bodacious Space Pirates if all the main characters were dudes?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

Would you feel as strongly for Bodacious Space Pirates if all the main characters were dudes?

No, but I'm fairly upfront about my preferences.

At any rate, that wasn't my point. The "Piracy" in this show isn't really "Piracy", and the Bentenmaru has not actually committed any actual Piracy.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

No, but I'm fairly upfront about my preferences.

At any rate, that wasn't my point. The "Piracy" in this show isn't really "Piracy", and the Bentenmaru has not actually committed any actual Piracy.

I think you're the one missing my point. I know that the piracy in Bodacious isn't 'really piracy'.

But it still takes place in a world where the after-effects of legalized piracy is really believable (from what I've seen). For example, no one really says "how could you shoot at schoolchildren??" when the Odette II gets shot at, and pirates are seen by rich tourists as kind of cool. The edge of piracy isn't really present in the story, but it's still skirting around the sides.

If you've lived or visited a society where there's been some breakdown of legal order and society has to make up its own rules as it goes along -- like when little planets have to employ pirates to maintain their liberty -- the world in Bodacious is a pretty accurate set-up. This is a major point in what makes good sci-fi, the difference between a writer who just uses a scientific element in a story and a writer who writes solid science fiction is in understanding the issues that follow certain developments.

So, simply put, I think Bodacious has a really good world. Despite that, I still find that it's boring.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

If you've lived or visited a society where there's been some breakdown of legal order and society has to make up its own rules as it goes along -- like when little planets have to employ pirates to maintain their liberty -- the world in Bodacious is a pretty accurate set-up. This is a major point in what makes good sci-fi, the difference between a writer who just uses a scientific element in a story and a writer who writes solid science fiction is in understanding the issues that follow certain developments.

So, simply put, I think Bodacious has a really good world. Despite that, I still find that it's boring.

I think what I slightly bemoan is that they never really expounded on how they got to the place they are. At the beginning of the series, they mention that the Sea of the Morning Star fought for its independence, with help from pirates who received permission from the government in exchange for joining their alliance. So, fast-forward hundreds of years, and the only pirates still allowed to "pirate" are those descended from the original ones, and thus still receive their Letters of marque.

I think it's a little sad that they don't revisit this. I'd like to know more about the War of Independence, and I'd like to know more about how the government adapted by allowing these pirate ships to fight for their cause. I think there's a lot that could be said here, that isn't being said. I'd like to know more about the Stellar Alliance that they broke free from, and whether there are any ramifications elsewhere in the galaxy.

I'd like to know more about the early Serenity human colonists, and what happened to them-- beyond the admittedly soft reveal that was shown with the ghost ship arc.

Bodacious Space Pirates has a lot of material to work with, but it's choosing to not use it. I'm still entertained by the show, because I like the characters, but I feel like there's capacity for them to deal with situations outside of their insular world.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't really been watching Accel World, mainly due to the fact I was focusing on other shows. However, I must say that I have been enjoying the show now that I started watching it. I don't think its the plot itself which is making me love the show, since it is kind of a typical shounen plot of fighting battles and growing stronger. However, I just can't help being drawn to Haruyuki as a main character. The character design of him makes him extremely likeable and sympathetic. He's a cute chubby nerdy guy, and that by itself makes him ten times more relateable than the unrealistic bishounen guys in most shows. When he speaks about the difficulties of being a young kid with insecurities and worrying about being bullied, it is believable and you connect with him because he seems so sincere. However, at the same time he has tremendous talent and just needs to acquire his confidence, so you are rooting for him. It totally works for me. If they had any usual bishounen in that show it wouldn't be worth watching. Haru makes the show for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7