• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sengoku Collection (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 13
Well it was Nobunaga's biggest appearance since the beginning, it was almost like her encounter with Ageha felt kind of backwards from the normal. For some reason I noticed that she acts like a certain invader from the sea. And we actually a number of references to the different stories. We saw Ieyasu as an idol, Kenshin as a model on a billboard, and the start of Yoshimoto going after Nobunaga.

Oh and a certain type of service for a certain type of fan. Pic
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
Another false start, probably(but I'm still hoping the plot arc's starting). That said, turns out the real Sugitani Zenjubou also spoiler[tried to kill the real Nobunaga to no success], but things ended... less well for him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 14
aw, they changed the opening song, I had to play the first one because I was so used to hearing it.

Kind of a filler episode again, that is there was no real plot. But I did find some of it generally funny, I made a stupid at just the bath bit, the idea of spoiler[boobs making squeaky noises] is somehow funny. And I kept laughing into the stamp bit. The food thing was not the craziest variant I have seen of it, but was still funny.

I couldn't tell if the entire episode was a parody of the schoolgirl genre, with some self depreciation with apparently their age, and showing off with sword.

And the ending quote of heartwarming spoiler[(we will always be your upperclassmen in your heart)] came off as incredibly ironic way of actually putting her down.

At least the new ending song had the sort of techno I liked in the first opening, well I assumed it would since the opening sounded a bit like the previous ending.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
Lack of posts points probably to that there was no really big story moments, and that is not saying they were bad, the individual stories are nice. We had the one eyed dragon's aunt, a prank off over a tea party, and the maid. Always something different.

Episode 18
Oh my lord, that was not something I was expecting.
I will start with the most obvious piece, which was the animation, while characters, some animals, and plot items were the normal style, the background was another case. Not too unlike a Witch's Labyrinth, it was done like it was a painting. (Example) It gave the episode a very different feel, and I think part of the aim was that it was being set somewhere in Europe. Most interestingly were parts where lights and such would turn on, and also be in the style, a very interesting look.

But then there is the other part, our character this time, Yoshitsugu, spoiler[is a girl challenged by bad luck, mixed with her not wanting to bother other people, she has a hard time. Even finding a four-leaf clover did not help, she made a mess at work and was scolded, out of frustration she sent the clover away with a letter to a non existent existent at a made up address. Miraculously she got a letter back from an "Angel", she got told that her bad luck is actually some kind of random good luck, and the two write letter back and forth.]

It is a rather nice story of looking on the bright side, you might just find something good happen. But spoiler[when she tries to meet her, a time that she is really looking forward to what a wonderful place an Angel must live, she fails, a run of bad luck causes her to run out of time and money. The sadness moves up as her dream seems to be out of reach, and the Angel stops sending letters, eventually some time later she gets one back, and the Angel says some things happened but she sent a ticket for her to come. The journey does not take her to a paradise akin to heavenly land, but to what appears to be New York.]

But then she gets to spoiler[Angel's place, unfortunately she learns Angel recently passed away, apparently from overwork, could it be that Angel worked herself to death so she could see Yoshitsugu. And then she finds a final unsent letter, she apparently wrote it because she thought that when they meet "she might not be able to say it". The letter says that originally she planned to kill herself, but it was when she received a letter from a girl worried about a life without good luck that she knew that she had to send a letter back. Our character reads that Angel wishes to be friends for a long time, Yoshitsugu agrees that they will as she cries, and sees the four leaf clover that she sent in the first letter.] End of episode.

Still thinking about it I tear up, that was quite an episode, probably the most powerful yet.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Definitely the best episode of the series(sadly, I highly doubt any of the remainder will even try to reach its heights).

As to the location, I'd thought the writing looked Slavic, but Wiktionary says "poliisi" is Finnish.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19

Okay that was a weird episode, I saw a comment somewhre that described it as: spoiler["A detective show within a play within an amnesiacs dream".] I think that I stated before that I can have a bad memory, and remembering a lot of the characters in this show can be quite difficult, what with a new cast almost every episode. But one thing that confused me here was that characters in this episode were seen before, but had different roles/names, spoiler[makes sense when you realize that it was a play and dream.]

So we had Yoshimoto (the one who could go giant) spoiler[play the first suspect Hazama]. spoiler[The victim's sisters Meiko and Machiko was played by] Hideyoshi (haiku) and Ieyasu (idol). spoiler[And a cross dressing crime lord, Matsuko, was played by] Hisahide (con artist). Actually I could not pin where the main character of this episode, Mitsuhide, was from, it took me a little while to find that she was the one who was fighting Nobunaga in the first episode.

And for plot, I was quite confused, spoiler[and I did catch on that it was strange for some guy to recognize the corpse if she was missing a head. I felt a bit Phoenix Wright in yelling that the statement, but I guess the lapse goes into it being a dream, there are other parts I was annoyed by, like paying for food with evidence, brushing teeth and laying on the roof. So it apparently goes into that Mitsuhide thought that she actually killed Nobunaga, who instead flew into a modern day Japanese guy, and Mitsuhide forgot her memories when she came to modern world. It did get rediculous, but I think the ending redeemed it, I would have probably been more understanding if I figured the actual setting.]
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
After seeing the recycled character designs, my first thought was to wonder why an idol would be pretending to be somebody else, but then I realized that we weren't dealing with Tokugawa Ieyasu the idol or Totoyomi Hideyoshi the rice fanatic.

I actually pulled up Akechi Mitsuhide's Wikipedia page last week, but didn't end up reading it(lede included) until after I watched the episode, though I already knew enough from reading about the other folks to figure out what they were referring to.

Also, the ending was sorely lacking in spoiler["Congratulations!"] - but then, I suppose that just makes sense.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:26 am Reply with quote
So apparently every episode of Sengoku Collection is a subtle homage/parody of eclectic films spanning all genres and themes. That's kind of brilliant. The Bowling for Columbine parody was obvious, given it did the cartoon bit almost exactly, but I didn't even think the others were referencing anything in particular. I have an even higher level of appreciation for the series now, and I want to know what all the episodes are doing.

Episodes 1 to 11
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
So apparently every episode of Sengoku Collection is a subtle homage/parody of eclectic films spanning all genres and themes. That's kind of brilliant. The Bowling for Columbine parody was obvious, given it did the cartoon bit almost exactly, but I didn't even think the others were referencing anything in particular. I have an even higher level of appreciation for the series now, and I want to know what all the episodes are doing.

Episodes 1 to 11

OMG, at 5:21, that cartoon about "samurai" was just like the one used in Bowling for Columbine. How did I not notice that before? And I guess the part where the inventor samurai had the boy in the swan/car was like Back to the Future.

Well it was easy to tell about the Alice in Wonderland episode was likely parody of such.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

Whatever I was expecting, it sure wasn't the massive dose of backstory(at least now Ieyasu deciding to become an idol is slightly less weird). I was wondering if spoiler[Nobunaga catching the piggy curse] would end up being foreshadowing given how Mitsuhide talked about her secret treasure, but I wasn't expecting spoiler[Nobunaga to threaten murder just from being in contact with it]! Sadly, it looks like next week's episode will be another stand alone(unless it ties back into that abandoned Hojou Soun arc), so we'll probably have to wait to see that plot point resolved.

Come to think of it, this show probably could've been much better had it just had a single cour to force them to stick to the narrative(which they can clearly do a good job of when they want to) and avoid all that meandering.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21

So we got a sci-fi like ep, a retake on the classic story of a magical warrior and spoiler[her talking kettle, going after the evil robot trying to destroy the great motherland.] I think at this point I have said that I am pretty happy with this series just telling good stories over something that is the same episode to episode, it is not like it was an emotional episode, but it was ok.

I liked the bit where they had the characters go into the spoiler[vacuum, and they totally cut all sound, kind of weird in an anime to have absolutely nothing.] And I was refreshed to have Russia appear in something and not be bad guys, they are so demonized in things like games. Well especially since I was recently playing a game about evil time Soviets, and that robot anime.

Something was bothering me for a while, the robot kept referring to someone called "Mikhail", something about that seemed familiar, and the spoiler[bar of flashing lights seemed to be a clue. Even when he mentioned the instinct thing, and it hit me, it was referring to David Hasselhoff's character Michael from Knight Rider.] Other references may have been spoiler[2001 Space Odyssey], some of panels around the AI reminded of things I saw I think in spoiler[Ah My Goddess]. I had a theory of the AI's voice, but can't really have any proof, not enough testing for one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 23

It is so unfair how little attention this show gets, so often do I get something really entertaining. As for this episode we got an episode about a bunch of kindergarteners, in the style of a documentary of what I guess is Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I had some worries at first, but it turned out really good.

Having childish antics of kindergarteners treated like wars, with historical accounts, strategy and bartering was genius. They were fighting over the sandbox that was controlled by three groups, which our heroine won over each by: Showing spoiler[how to make cooler mud balls], winning a fight spoiler[by using the hose when outnumbered when negotiations failed], and winning a game spoiler[by anticipating when they had nap time.] Plus we did have the 3 spirit animal girls, all posing as very mature looking kindergarteners.

But there was another thing that can really get my attention, I was giddy when I noticed who played one of the kids, a creepy looking girl called Misawa-chan of which I put a picture bellow. None other than spoiler[Rie Kugimiya], she gave her a rather serious, and monotone voice that was very humorous for the setting. But even better when she worked in different emotions.
It stares into your soul.
Actually I might make an avatar out of this character, I made one out of the above image, but I might see if I can find a better scene.

But the best bit was in standard fashion for some of these episodes, spoiler[Nobunaga jumped in as jumped into the scene as Tsunehisa finished her work. Although pointing a sword a four year old does not exactly look good, and she broke their sandcastle, which caused all the kids to start crying, and they pelt her with dirt. Seeing Nobunaga get angry asking what is wrong with them and being chased away by them and their teacher] definitely made me laugh out loud as a crowning moment of funny.

Next episode looks to be about our idol Ieyasu.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
I've fallen behind in the series, but I'm almost caught up.
DuskyPredator wrote:
But there was another thing that can really get my attention, [...] a creepy looking girl called Misawa-chan of which I put a picture bellow. [...] Actually I might make an avatar out of this character, I made one out of the above image, but I might see if I can find a better scene.
That was my first impulse on seeing her, too.
Quote:
It is so unfair how little attention this show gets, so often do I get something really entertaining.
It's probably because of the anthology format. It wouldn't be too bad if they'd stick with it, but all the times they tease a plot can be grating. At least now they're revisiting older plot points and starting to tie those loose ends up a bit. Date Masamune's last(?) appearance was definitely "her" and it's definitely interesting to see Ieyasu spoiler[still dead determined to take the idol thing as far as she can]; I was completely caught by surprise when spoiler[it turned out the whole plot was a movie-within-the-show, though it explains why Ieyasu didn't use any sengoku powers]. Let's hope this shows they can wrap all this up right.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 25

It was an alright episode, the view of the enemy for the second to last episode, though I would complain that I don't think I find the bottomless boobs samurai very interesting. Strangely I found the spoiler[fishing] plot not bad, but that could be from watching a certain alien anime. I liked the ninja girl, I liked her hair and such, but she did not really star the episode.

I am not too happy that the next episode looked a bit like a spoiler[sum up episode] based on the preview. I have hope that they will make the decision for the series to finish up strongly, I have found this to be one of those hidden gems that won't get a lot of mainstream attention, like Kurenai. I think I will try to give a complete look at the series next week after the final one.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote
At least we got an excuse reason for why that particular arc just fizzled out. I am hoping that any spoiler[summing up] is brief enough and we get a good final battle in there. A "where are they now?" bit would also be nice, like will the Daimyo displace the Colonel? Inquiring minds want to know!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3