• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo's Youth Healthy Development Council Looks at Yosuga no Sora

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
The only thing I find offensive about incest stories is that all of them sound like shite.

Marmalade Boy was the first manga / anime I saw that used it successfully and also the last manga / anime I saw that used it successfully.

To consider Marmalade Boy "incest" is to complete remove any actual meaning from the term.
EleutheroMaster

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that ordinance even under judicial review?

Tokyo passed it too speedily. The opponents didn't have enough time to debate it. The DPJ buckled under a smear tactic!

Was THAT FAIR!? Mad
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
The only thing I find offensive about incest stories is that all of them sound like shite.

Marmalade Boy was the first manga / anime I saw that used it successfully and also the last manga / anime I saw that used it successfully.

That has no bearing on censorship, no?

I respectfully disagree though. Funny how this is even an issue when traditional Japanese literature has incest themes featured prominently at times.

Also, the stories that does have incest never actually implies that incest is socially acceptable. Even the most twisted hentai never implies normalcy of incest.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Incest has a fairly large enough following in anime and manga fantasy, because there is so little chance of it actually happening as so very little number of families with children have more than one child. More chance of father-daughter/mother-son than brother-sister.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

To consider Marmalade Boy "incest" is to complete remove any actual meaning from the term.

fudge any 'actual meaning of the term', how hard is it to make some goddamn art! There's no moral or immoral stories there's only good stories or shite stories and if the bulk of manga and anime didn't already look like a lot of shite stories pretty much everything in the incest fireline looks like it.

It's like having to defend the freedom of speech of books when the book shelf that's in jeopardy is the one with all the titty mags.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

fudge any 'actual meaning of the term', how hard is it to make some goddamn art! There's no moral or immoral stories there's only good stories or shite stories and if the bulk of manga and anime didn't already look like a lot of shite stories pretty much everything in the incest fireline looks like it.

It's like having to defend the freedom of speech of books when the book shelf that's in jeopardy is the one with all the titty mags.

Does this post have a point, or are you just ranting incoherently?
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
I respectfully disagree though. Funny how this is even an issue when traditional Japanese literature has incest themes featured prominently at times.

I'd like some recommendations, if you don't mind. I want something good to consume.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I'd like some recommendations, if you don't mind. I want something good to consume.

Judging from your location (if it's true), I wouldn't bother recommending titles that might send you to a prison.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

Judging from your location (if it's true), I wouldn't bother recommending titles that might send you to a prison.

I'm in Malaysia, not Saudi Arabia. They don't send people to prison for owning banned books (don't know about film though, never tried), they just seize them. Anyway, Haruki Murakami has bro-sis incest in Kafka on the Shore, and that's sold openly here. That's the only example I can think of, though that's non-anime or manga related.

Regarding Fencedude5609's reply, it's another 'frustration with the industry' comment. Out of all the years when the Japanese powers-that-be has given leniency to the subject, you'd expect a little more than just fetish pandering.

What we think of the Japanese government has very little effect on what the Japanese government will do, anyway. So if some of the non-Japanese here can rant about how government policy is affecting their imoto stuff, I can rant about how so much of it, despite having the freedom to work with taboo, has (at least on appearance) been so banal.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
What we think of the Japanese government has very little effect on what the Japanese government will do, anyway. So if some of the non-Japanese here can rant about how government policy is affecting their imoto stuff, I can rant about how so much of it, despite having the freedom to work with taboo, has (at least on appearance) been so banal.
But why on Earth are you looking at an entertainment industry if that's what's important to you? Freedom to work with taboo has nothing to do with it, most stuff in any entertainment industry is going to be banal.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

It has very real effects. In my previous post I cited a few titles that have been already affected, removing them from store shelves. Its arbitrary and subjective nature makes creators and/or publishers more cautious

Nonetheless, it doesn't matter even if only 1 person is affected, as it still would not be justified. You're point about the law and your own desires for what you want to see, that is, your own value judgements are completely separate
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
The overreaction does not mean the panel is not a hideous offense towards artistic freedom and expression.

I've never understood this. The ruling never said that this material can't be made, but that it can't be sold to children. In most countries, minors have never had the full set of rights given to adults and this law is no different than any of the other things that children are barred from but adults can freely participate and engage in.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I like how the first page or two is basically hell yeah incest anime gosh i sure do love it and even what they make now isn't deviant enough for me everyone look at me and talk positively about what i just can't stop beating off too!!!! and then one person raises a basic moral objection to it and it's immediately you're trying to silence me!!!!.

The victim complex combined with what appears to be an unquenchable need to let everyone know what you like to jack it to is a weird combination, you know that?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I like how the first page or two is basically hell yeah incest anime gosh i sure do love it and even what they make now isn't deviant enough for me everyone look at me and talk positively about what i just can't stop beating off too!!!! and then one person raises a basic moral objection to it and it's immediately you're trying to silence me!!!!.

Thats not a strawman, thats an entire straw army
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:

Thats not a strawman, thats an entire straw army

It's what you creeps are saying. Creeps. The lot of you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 16