• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 3 Blu-ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Now on the other hand (and some people might disagree) I think the sub should be taken into account when judging the series. Why? Because unlike the dub which I see as an extra, the sub actually is an original component of the series.

Why does it matter which audio was recorded first? Both are included, both are alternate ways of viewing the series, and there are people who will only use one of the two.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Now personally I think a dub should never add or detract from a review of the series itself. It could add or detract from the DVD/BR as a product but it has nothing to do with judging the show. Honestly I would rather see a real grade for the dub itself.

This is like saying reviews of food should never discuss the flavor as long as the dish provides good nutrients, or saying the vocals of a song don't matter as long as the lyrics are well written. The dub of a series is part of the experience; it can enhance or detract from that experience depending on how it is handled. As the means by which the story is told and as one of the ways by which the characters are portrayed to the audience, the dub has as much to do with judging the show as a whole as, say, the animation or music.

No actually your comparison does not make sense. I don't think there is an equivalent to a dub when talking about food so I am not going to use it.

Please explain to me why the dub should add or detract from the series? What does the dub have to do with Madoka magica itself? What if there never was a dub? There still would be Madoka. If there wasn't the animation or music (or sub as I said above) than Madoka would not be the same show, but the dub is not an integral part of the series at all.

As I said above the dub should only be judged as part of the product itself, not as a part of judging the series.

edit: Also I never said the dub should not be discussed. I just said it should be an entirely separate grade from the series itself.
Why should the Japanese dub be treated special? The audio track is a major component of the overall experience of a video so it only makes sense that two different dubs get two different experience ratings. Just because you see the English track as an extra doesn't mean somebody else won't see the Japanese track the same way.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Now personally I think a dub should never add or detract from a review of the series itself. It could add or detract from the DVD/BR as a product but it has nothing to do with judging the show. Honestly I would rather see a real grade for the dub itself.

This is like saying reviews of food should never discuss the flavor as long as the dish provides good nutrients, or saying the vocals of a song don't matter as long as the lyrics are well written. The dub of a series is part of the experience; it can enhance or detract from that experience depending on how it is handled. As the means by which the story is told and as one of the ways by which the characters are portrayed to the audience, the dub has as much to do with judging the show as a whole as, say, the animation or music.

No actually your comparison does not make sense. I don't think there is an equivalent to a dub when talking about food so I am not going to use it.

Please explain to me why the dub should add or detract from the series? What does the dub have to do with Madoka magica itself? What if there never was a dub? There still would be Madoka. If there wasn't the animation or music (or sub as I said above) than Madoka would not be the same show, but the dub is not an integral part of the series at all.

As I said above the dub should only be judged as part of the product itself, not as a part of judging the series.

edit: Also I never said the dub should not be discussed. I just said it should be an entirely separate grade from the series itself.

I agree that the (English) dub is not an integral part of Madoka Magica in the sense that when the series was created in Japan, the producers were focused on the writing, animation, music and other elements. Adding an English dub was not part of this process.

An English dub is not an integral part of Madoka Magica from the Japanese producers' point of view. But I think that the moment Aniplex USA announced that they were going to releases Madoka Magica dubbed, the English dub more or less became an integral part of the series.

I completely agree that with or without an English dub, the brilliance of Madoka Magica continues to be. I just think that if you are a fan of watching anime English dubbed, a good or bad dub is more important to you; and perhaps an integral part of a given series.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Now on the other hand (and some people might disagree) I think the sub should be taken into account when judging the series. Why? Because unlike the dub which I see as an extra, the sub actually is an original component of the series.

Why does it matter which audio was recorded first? Both are included, both are alternate ways of viewing the series, and there are people who will only use one of the two.

Regardless of what any single person prefers it has been made known that dubs are an optional component to anime when it gets licensed. While the original audio when an anime first gets produced is not optional. This makes one more integral to the product than the other, it does not say anything about personal enjoyment.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
But the Japanese dub isn't integral to the product at all - hence why an English one is often offered as a drop-in replacement.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Why should the Japanese dub be treated special? The audio track is a major component of the overall experience of a video so it only makes sense that two different dubs get two different experience ratings. Just because you see the English track as an extra doesn't mean somebody else won't see the Japanese track the same way.

Because frankly the sub is more important in terms of the series than the dub as it is part of the creation of the series, not something that came afterwards to appeal to the American fandom.

I know there are a lot of people who refuse to watch subbed anime but bottom line is the Japanese language track not the English language track is the original track of the series. The dub is an extra and has nothing to with the creation of the series itself which yes the original language track does.

I am not saying it's not important because obvious it is for people who purchase the BR/DVD and care about the dub. You are spending money on the dub too, but it has nothing to do with the original creation of the series.

Quote:
But the Japanese dub isn't integral to the product at all - hence why an English one is often offered as a drop-in replacement.

I think you and some other people are missing the point here. You are right the Japanese dub is not necessarily integral to the product you purchase. But it is integral to the the creation of the series.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Jesus people, it isn't difficult to understand. The Overall: Dub gets an A+ because the series is so incredibly good that the dub would have to be appalling to detract from the show.

Let me put it in the form of a simple diagram:

* <--- this point is the overall experience watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica subbed

* <--- this point is the overall experience watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica dubbed

----------This here is the A+ line----------

It ain't rocket science.

So just to be clear then... If the show is the most awful thing ever produced by anime, basically a 50 episode series about turd decomposing with the camera randomly zooming in and out on the turd and people standing around talking, but the dub is the most brilliant academy award winning dub ever in the history of anime it would be rated a D because even a brilliant dub couldn't raise the show above a D. Whereas if the show was the most awesome amazing anime in all reality, so awesome a new world wide religion was born and a new school of anime thought founded, and the dub was nothing more than cows mooing and farting then the dub would get an A because even cows mooing and farting in the dub track could not lower the overall experience below an A.

Thus determining the quality of just the dub for a show via the rating is pointless because the dub rating is largely dependent on the quality of the show as seen by the reviewer. Correct?

I just want to be sure so that I can determine how useful an ANN dub rating is going to be to me personally.

No, because even a great dub can't help an awful show, and a bad dub can greatly hamper the experience of watching a show. It's ONE part of the rating, not most of it.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I received my copy on Thursday and have watched it at least 3 times and each time I have found myself sobbing at the sheer enormity of spoiler[the sacrifices made in this volume].

I'm a 20 year old guy, yet I still burst into tears every time Homura says spoiler[‎"How am I gonna know you're there when I can't even feel you standing next to me any more?!"] - and that's when watching the dub. Cristina Vee and Cassandra Lee really stood out in this set.

From the beginning of this volume to the end, I was overcome with emotion. I have yet to experience another anime, film, TV show, play, book or otherwise that has had this effect.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
So just to be clear then... If the show is the most awful thing ever produced by anime, basically a 50 episode series about turd decomposing with the camera randomly zooming in and out on the turd and people standing around talking, but the dub is the most brilliant academy award winning dub ever in the history of anime it would be rated a D because even a brilliant dub couldn't raise the show above a D. Whereas if the show was the most awesome amazing anime in all reality, so awesome a new world wide religion was born and a new school of anime thought founded, and the dub was nothing more than cows mooing and farting then the dub would get an A because even cows mooing and farting in the dub track could not lower the overall experience below an A.

Thus determining the quality of just the dub for a show via the rating is pointless because the dub rating is largely dependent on the quality of the show as seen by the reviewer. Correct?

I just want to be sure so that I can determine how useful an ANN dub rating is going to be to me personally.

If the show is a turd and the dub is being faithful to the show, then good acting can only do so much to make a turd more polished. After all, the script and acting of the show must have been terrible, so if the dub script is also terrible and nonsensical in the name of fidelity, then the actors have no choice but to do with what they have. They would just be portraying the emotions and story (or whatever there is in the show) better than the original. You would probably see the rating go from a D for the sub overall to a D+ for the dub overall. However, if the dub is basically rewriting the show like what happened to Ghost Stories, then the dub overall grade will be dependent more on the rewrite and acting than the original show's premise. The sub and dub tracks would greatly differ on either the tone (whether a scene changed from funny to hilarious or dramatic to goofy melodrama) or even the plot (if the rewrite was that extreme of if the plot was threadbare and irrelevant in the original). If the rewritten script and acting is gold, then the overall dub's grade could be a B compared to the overall sub's grade of D. The show is changed, but it would be for the better. That would be how getting an Academy Award winning dub out of a terrible show happens.

For your second example, the dub overall grade would probably be F if it was that careless. You don't seem to realize how much the acting and scripting of a show really affects the entire experience. Taking your example literally, having cows moo for a dub will make it almost impossible to understand the story and characters, and whatever mood a scene was trying to establish would be totally ruined. The same applies to bad dubs, really. If a dub script is so mangled or terribly rewritten that the plot and characters are contradicting beyond comprehension or smashed into mediocrity, then how the heck would that be a viable way to experience the most awesomely awesome anime in all reality? It wouldn't even be close to the same anymore; only the visuals and music would be the remnants of it on the dub track, if those are even preserved. If the dub script is on par with the original script but the voice actors are stiff, overly emoting, and just generally terrible, then imagine the mood of an dramatic, devastating scene subjected to such amateur acting. The emotion you might be feeling less affected than you should have been if the characters are still too stiff to actually portray sadness, or you might be laughing because the actors try too hard to sound devastated and instead sound like part of an improv comedy act.

So really, the dub overall rating still has purpose. Your presumption would be proven wrong with a bunch of reviews on this site anyway, like the ones for Gankutsuou or Utena. Now those are sparkling examples of a dub lowering the overall experience immensely for the reviewers. (It would just be better if grades were just taken off anyway, since they're just personal shorthand that makes many people ignore the review itself. But as always, I digress.)
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

Because frankly the sub is more important in terms of the series than the dub as it is part of the creation of the series, not something that came afterwards to appeal to the American fandom.

I know there are a lot of people who refuse to watch subbed anime but bottom line is the Japanese language track not the English language track is the original track of the series. The dub is an extra and has nothing to with the creation of the series itself which yes the original language track does.

I am not saying it's not important because obvious it is for people who purchase the BR/DVD and care about the dub. You are spending money on the dub too, but it has nothing to do with the original creation of the series.

Quote:

I think you and some other people are missing the point here. You are right the Japanese dub is not necessarily integral to the product you purchase. But it is integral to the the creation of the series.
I think you're missing the point: why should which dub came first matter for a review? The ratings are for watching the show with the Japanese dub and English subtitles and for watching the show with the English dub and no subtitles. While you could give a dub a score on its own, there's no point trying to score the quality of a show independent of any dub - and no pertinent reason to score it on a single dub alone.

TLDR: Your argument's a non sequitur.
Veers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Please explain to me why the dub should add or detract from the series?

Because it is the audio medium through which the series' script is experienced.

Quote:
What does the dub have to do with Madoka magica itself?

A dub is the audio medium through which the series' script is experienced. You seem to be really confused about this.

Quote:
What if there never was a dub?

What if water was pink?

Quote:
There still would be Madoka.

Which still would have an audio track also known as a Japanese dub.

Quote:
If there wasn't the animation or music (or sub as I said above) than Madoka would not be the same show, but the dub is not an integral part of the series at all.

Except, you know, it is if you watch the series with the English dub turned on.

Quote:
You are right the Japanese dub is not necessarily integral to the product you purchase. But it is integral to the the creation of the series.

So what? The review is about the consumption of the series, not the creation.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I think you're missing the point: why should which dub came first matter for a review? The ratings are for watching the show with the Japanese dub and English subtitles and for watching the show with the English dub and no subtitles. While you could give a dub a score on its own, there's no point trying to score the quality of a show independent of any dub - and no pertinent reason to score it on a single dub alone.

TLDR: Your argument's a non sequitur.

No actually it is not you can just not understand a simple point.

I am saying when reading a review there are two things you can review the series itself and the actual product. The dub is part of the product not the series itself. A good or bad dub does not mean Madoka is a good or bad show.

Veers wrote:
Because it is the audio medium through which the series' script is experienced.

So then it should add or detract from your personal experience not from the series.

Quote:
dub is the audio medium through which the series' script is experienced. You seem to be really confused about this.

No you seem to be one who is confused about what I am trying to say. I am separating the series itself from what you purchase. The dub is part of the purchase not part of the series.

Quote:
Which still would have an audio track also known as a Japanese dub

Exactly because the Japanese language track is the original track of the series. The dub does not need to exist for the series itself to exist. This is not true for the Japanese track.

Quote:
So what? The review is about the consumption of the series, not the creation.

Actually the review has mixed elements of both the creation and consumption of the series, which is fine. I am just saying I think the dub should have a separate grade that reflects whether it is a good or bad dub & only that (and yes this can tie into if the dub takes away from the series or not)

I also am not saying it is wrong to have a separate grade for the Japanese track (especially in comparison to the dub) but I am saying when judging the series itself I think the Japanese track can't be separated in the way the dub can.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

Yes, it is integral

English dubs are extras. They are nice to have, sometime they are even better than the original, but they are not required in order for the show to be complete.

Not having the Japanese dub would be akin to chopping out chunks of the show itself.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:

No, that's not how it works. A dub would have to be absolutely brilliant or interesting to better a bad series, but it can and has happened. Likewise, a really bad dub can detract from the series so much that it causes a fall in grade. Clannad, Crest of the Stars and Zipang all have such atrocious dubs that forget being pegged down grade or two, the shows became literally unwatchable. Especially Clannad, it's dub it so bad that I thought it was a crappy fandub attempting to parody the series (I first came across it on YouTube). When I learnt that people had been paid to create that garbage of a dub I was shocked. Now Garzey's Wing had a worse dub but at least that was unintentionally hilarious.

lesterf1020 wrote:

Well, there's pros and cons. If the dub is separate, then how will people know if a crappy dub is merely a nuisance or actually detracts from the show in question? In the case of this volume of PMMM, Zac said that the dub was weak but that it didn't detract from the overall viewing experience, which at the end of the day means more to the average viewer than individual scores for the series, sub and dub would. When it comes to it, what people ultimately want to know is if the show is still a great watch with the dub track on. The answer is a resounding yes, since it is an A+.

If you want more info on the dub then I believe Zac spent most of a long paragraph talking about it, like how the dub is still serviceable and has a couple of good performances. If you ignore all that then wonder why in the Cons he says the dub is weak while still giving it an A+, then that is not the fault of the reviewer nor is it the fault of the system. It's your fault.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Not having the Japanese dub would be akin to chopping out chunks of the show itself.

Have fun with Afro Samurai.

Exactly because the Japanese language track is the original track of the series. The dub does not need to exist for the series itself to exist. This is not true for the Japanese track.

Except if AoA had released a version with only the English dub, the series would still exist on those discs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 31