• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Right Stuf & Kadokawa Pictures USA Announce THE THIRD Complete DVD Collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Yueh: yes, it matters, as I happen to enjoy dubs. Sorry if that somehow bothers you.

It's not a matter of you enjoying dubs, but an issue of you being unrealistically stupid about this. A fantasy sci-fi anime with a young girl as the lead is not comparable to a slow-moving, mature Victorian romance anime.
You haven't seen The Third yet then?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

No. Feel free to correct my impression, though, or make a valid argument that the series can reach a comparable audience to Emma.
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
sweet I was planning on seeing this show, seeing how I missed the singles I wilkl pick this up.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

No. Feel free to correct my impression, though, or make a valid argument that the series can reach a comparable audience to Emma.
Though it's like comparing apple to oranges, The Third isn't all that action packed as one would expect from a sci-fi genre. There's far too much navel gazing between fights. Also it's only the luck of the draw that The Third was picked up by Kadokawa who invested in a dub, and Emma was not.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
If it's a more slow-moving sci-fi, would you say the pacing is similar to the Banner/Crest of the Stars series? The apparent talkiness of that trilogy was the reason I never bothered with it, so if this show has as much technobabble and still framery, eh...maybe not.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
You're off on that one. While there is an English dub for Gakuen Alice, it is not on Right Stuf's release, which is sub-only.

Sorry
That's what I get for trying to be diplomatic & include titles I don't own.
Not that I own Ninja Nonsense yet. It's on my list of someday I'll get it & I only have pieces of Tyler. Did see a couple eps of NN at con & it seemed pretty funny, but Comic-con religiously only plays subs

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Yueh: yes, it matters, as I happen to enjoy dubs. Sorry if that somehow bothers you.

Like dubs all you want. I actually watch dub more than sub, but I hate it far more when I can't get the sub than when I can only get the dub. If Koyasu's in it, I'm at least watching his segments in Japanese. Depending on the role, same for Yamaguchi. One Piece is just too long to sit & read subs, so I basically watch the dub & pop over to sub when it looks like it'll be a good exchange.
I know the Japanese dial it in sometimes, but far more care comes thru on the Japanese side far more often than on the American dub side.

Last edited by CCSYueh on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
If it's a more slow-moving sci-fi, would you say the pacing is similar to the Banner/Crest of the Stars series? The apparent talkiness of that trilogy was the reason I never bothered with it, so if this show has as much technobabble and still framery, eh...maybe not.
No it's more like a female Shingi Ikari only slightly less pathetic.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

It's what I consider stream-of-consciousness sort of stuff. I have one more disc to watch on Toward the Terra (because I have a hard time finding 2 hrs I can just sit & read the screen & it's a sub-only release), but it is far more exciting & interesting than The Third.
In the Third you have the narrator voicing Haruka's feelings as well as the action. There's a heavy recycle message-the world is being assessed for destruction by god-like beings & the Third race of aliens are trying to prevent it so they sort of overlord the humans-won't allow them to have technology, but little Miss Headband (hint hint. Don't you know it before the headband comes off the first time? I mean, THE TITLE?) is, of course, the salvation of everyone & everything.
(typical shonen hero/heroine).
It's less Crest of the Stars to me than a lot of western sci-fi movies one could dredge up. Bits of Toward the Terra. Bits of Crest of the Stars. Some villain of the week shonen can't get away from (Trigun). It's a pretty good blend of a lot of other ideas so that it's fairly fresh, if very slow. It's less action-packed, than unveiling/opening like a flower if you understand my drift. In fact, it feels very much like a dance-a ballet specifically
It's not painful like other titles which I've blissfully forgotten at the moment, but my teen could remind me & reopen all the painful memories of forcing myself to watch the shows.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

basically less techno- and much more metaphysical-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3