• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Konami to Get 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh! Assets Under Proposed Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is a children's anime in Japan. Here I go thinking the way the Japanese divide and label demographics that the audience for OP would be teens.
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
Well today's the day. Will we find out today if the deal go through?
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
4Kids and Nelvana deal with childrens' series. Geneon et al dealt with a niche market. Of course the former will have an easier time staying afloat.

True enough,but NONE of the anime series they license ( Excluding Pokemon ) were children series. All of them were meant for older teens that got massively edited to be suitable for kids which of couse earned the wrath of every single otaku,and gave english dubs a very very bad reputation. with all of the bad publicity,they should have went six feet under years ago.

Every series 4Kids got was a children's show.

It's just what constitutes a children's show in Japan is different than America. You have content like blood, death, murder, rape, pedophilia, homosexuality, transgender identity, and all that stuff just fine.

That's the problem. They DO focus on "kids anime", it's just kids anime would be for adults if they ran it uncut.

And unfortunately, butchering the likes of Pocket Monsters, Ojamajo Doremi, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, and the like is how they survive so long. Like it or not, the average American adult isn't going to tune in to that stuff, so they figrue if they dumb it down enough so little kids can watch it, they'll do better. In their defense, they hung on much longer than other companies, so there may be truth in there, but all it shows is the average American probably isn't ready for anime yet, and anime may be better off not being on TV at all, and sticking to simulcast and streaming services for American distribution.

About the whole "it's acceptable in Japan, but not America" excuse, 4kids in my opinion shouldn't even bother with those series in the first place. Like you said, the shows 4kids did were children shows in Japan, despite the fact they have some mature elements in them. So 4kids decides to take a show that doesn't fit their standards and decides to waste money and time on editing it so they could air it. Why pick shows that don't fit your standards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5-RbUxf9J0

the beginning pretty much sums up what i am trying to say

Ok you make yourself a good point with the series relying on younger viewers. However, if a properly dubbed, unedited version of Yu-Gi-Oh! was available, then I wouldn't give a damn about what they did on tv. At least then I would have a choice. I mean, why hasn't that happened? Companies like FUNimation do it all the time and it works for them.

Younger viewers could then watch the series on tv, while older fans could access a good unedited version. Couldn't a company just stream the unedited version online or something like that?
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
4Kids and Nelvana deal with childrens' series. Geneon et al dealt with a niche market. Of course the former will have an easier time staying afloat.

True enough,but NONE of the anime series they license ( Excluding Pokemon ) were children series. All of them were meant for older teens that got massively edited to be suitable for kids which of couse earned the wrath of every single otaku,and gave english dubs a very very bad reputation. with all of the bad publicity,they should have went six feet under years ago.

Every series 4Kids got was a children's show.

It's just what constitutes a children's show in Japan is different than America. You have content like blood, death, murder, rape, pedophilia, homosexuality, transgender identity, and all that stuff just fine.

That's the problem. They DO focus on "kids anime", it's just kids anime would be for adults if they ran it uncut.

And unfortunately, butchering the likes of Pocket Monsters, Ojamajo Doremi, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, and the like is how they survive so long. Like it or not, the average American adult isn't going to tune in to that stuff, so they figrue if they dumb it down enough so little kids can watch it, they'll do better. In their defense, they hung on much longer than other companies, so there may be truth in there, but all it shows is the average American probably isn't ready for anime yet, and anime may be better off not being on TV at all, and sticking to simulcast and streaming services for American distribution.

And of course they massively wrecked the reputation for english dubs.

Also FYI, There are unfortunately no more of those contents for pocket monsters new season like how it showed in season 1 and especially in those infamous banned epsiodes,though i kinda doubt they count.

Either way,everyone agrees that they need to go and need to go now. it's crazy that bad companies like 4kids and others are still hanging on by a thread and good companies are going six feet under.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
4KidsFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
formerroadie1 wrote:
Good Bye piece of crap 4Kids. I hope NO ONE like you every exists again.

Excuse me, 4Kids fan here as you can tell by the username. They were not that bad. I think you should realize that 4Kids had it's good sides to shows they dubbed and a lot of them turned out to be successful. Also, you should have proof-read that second sentence a bit more because it doesn't really make sense grammatically. I'm glad Konami stepped in to continue on 4Kids' legacy considering using some of their workers and voice actors.

TitanXL wrote:
Always respect the original version. People who would ever actually want a whitewashed, hacked up dub don't really deserve a say in the matter.

Titan, Titan. I wanted to have the pleasure talking to you. Now let me tell you something because this just had me raise an eyebrow. Okay first of all honey, I would probably by one of those people who would want a whitewashed, hacked up dub. But I apparently don't see the 4Kids dub of Yugioh being just that. I didn't mind the changes they made such as the names, setting, violence, and a few other things. The show was still dark and had plenty of dark moments. This is perhaps their darkest show. It had a good voice cast, intro, theme song, music scores in episodes, and most importantly this show was it's next big thing after Pokemon that made a success. I think 4Kids did right with this show. My only complaint was that the cards couldn't feature the text on them due to commercial reasons, but it was strange seeing that not being the case in the 2004 movie. I also didn't like how the last episode ended without the epilogue after Atem crosses over. But yeah, I loved the 4Kids dub of the show and it's a shame people want to bash it all because it had some changes from the Japanese version. Well the English dub shouldn't have to carbon copy the Japanese version 100% and can have it's share of differences whether people like them or not.

And yes, people like me in your eyes you see as unworthy of having a say here are in fact titled to have a say on anything. If you're just going to be a hater and have that sort of attitude towards us then I believe it's you who doesn't deserve to have the say here.

kaiser11492 wrote:
I wanted to see 4kids loose the rights to the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise since they have proven themselves to be unable to work with Yu-Gi-Oh!. For example, they prematurely ended both GX and 5D. With 4kids loosing the franchise, that's good enough for me to be happy.

It's a shame GX and 5D's didn't get finished. I found the send-off they gave to 5D's was better than the one they gave to GX, despite not being the last episode. GX's ending was too quick. Jaden is taken into the stars, the characters return to the Earth, Syrus mourns over Jaden's departure and then that's it. I heard Season 4 was dark and that was why it wasn't dubbed. The last episode of Season 3 could have been dubbed since it was just one episode of that season, but I'm guessing it ends on a cliffhanger leading to S4. Konami could makes plans to dub the rest of GX and 5D's and release these never before dubbed and aired episodes out on DVD since the airing of both shows have ended. I don't think a redub of any of the shows is necessary. They weren't that badly tampered with and a lot of their good elements outweighed the bad so their English dubs by 4Kids should be tolerable.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Please read the community's sentiment on necroposting.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5