• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ALC Publishing, JManga to Publish Namori's Yuruyuri Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomas8166

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
thomas8166 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Oh goddammit.

Not THIS manga...

I had a feeling before coming in here that you had been waiting to whine about it.

Last I checked, I'm free to dislike something.

Of course. I fully respect your freedom to express your opinion. Just wanted to comment on the fact that you're pretty vocal on what you don't like, instead of what you do. No offense meant!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
ANNs Citizen wrote:
Wait, I though Erica Friedman was against Yuruyuri and 90% of Yuri outside of the Het/Angst yuri formula. Now she's publishing the very Manga she went against? What made her change from her ego? Money? LoL.

Eric Friedman is indeed not fond of Yuru Yuri (The anime, for example, did not win her over), but she operates a very small publishing company with limited resources and influence, so she probably had to be pragmatic and license what titles she could get. Why somebody responsibly not allowing her tastes to override her business should encourage insulting sneers and disdain, I cannot know, but it's a pretty lousy thing to do.

Perhaps you've noticed, but Jmanga is pursing the very smart strategy of licensing manga which have anime adaptations which come from smaller publishers (like Recorder and Randoseru, etc...)
Yuriyuri is another good example of this, and their previous relationship with ALC from Poor Poor Lips and Kimi no Tamenara Shineru worked very well.
I bet that Jmanga wanting to publish it was very important in ALC's decision to license it.
minirop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
yes, please, do a physical release Embarassed
(and from other titles, like "soredemo machi de mawatte iru")
yuricon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
Thanks everyone who has shown interest in these titles.

I want to clear up some confusion about this news.

JManga is the entity that holds these licenses, not ALC. At the moment, these are digital releases only.

I've written about why digital is a better choice for Yuri a number of times on Okazu, so feel free to look over there for my opinion on the topic. Tl;dr version - while there may be a *few* of you would would like this in print, there simply aren't *enough* folks who will pay for it to be in print to make licensing something like Yuru Yuri viable. Bear in mind that it's still running and is already an 8-volume series. If you can find 3999 friends who will also pay for 8 volumes of it in print, I'll license the print version. ^-^

Getting actual commitment of $ from the Yuri audience is harder than fans realize (most fans kind of assume that they are speaking for another 10,000 silent people when they post...but they really aren't.) The Yuri audience is very fragmented, geographically and psychographically. It's relatively easy to get 100 people to "hell yeah!" a title, but that doesn't translate into 1000 sales...or even 100. Harsh fact, but true. I've been dealing with this niche for over a decade now, I really know it better than anyone. ^-^

In regards to the kind of odd "accusation" that since I dislike a thing, why would I work on it...I don't hate Yuru Yuri. I can see that Ichijinsha's putting a lot of money behind it and it's paying off. I didn't *like* it for myself. I'm allowed. More importantly, I *love* Yuri as a whole and want to see as many people get to read as many Yuri titles as possible. And, because of the above harsh reality, I think digital is honestly the best way forward to do that. The Yuri audience is small, even accounting for global numbers. Distributing paper books overseas is expensive and not cost-effective. Digital, however is a great leveler.

I and all of us at ALC are very proud to be working with JManga on these titles, and we're thrilled to have the chance to bring more Yuri to a global audience. We hope that if these titles do well we can bring other titles from Ichinjinsha to you, as well.

Thanks to all of you for your support and interest!

Cheers,

Erica Friedman
Yuricon & ALC Publishing
yuricon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
[quote="samuelp"][quote="Surrender Artist"]
ANNs Citizen wrote:
Wait, I though Erica Friedman was against Yuruyuri and 90% of Yuri outside of the Het/Angst yuri formula.

Just wanted to clarify this. I don't honestly know what you mean by Het/Angst Yuri. The kind of Yuri I like best is two adult, out women who are in love with one another and make a life together, such as Fu~Fu or even a story like Aoi Hana, which is about a teenager, but a very remarkable young woman coming to grips with her identify. None of that is Heterosexual or Angsty. I admit I don't much like anime or manga that states at little girls' crotches or underwear, which really seems to upset some people.

GUNJO was angsty. I'll give you that. Anime smile But it was exceptional.

Cheers,

Erica
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Good luck on the digital-only release. I hope it's a success, even though there are still those of us luddites only interested in reading manga on paper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JManga
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
AnimeDuelist15 wrote:
HOLY SHIT PLEASE RELEASE PHYSICAL COPIES OF YURU YURI.

I will buy every single book!

We will look into the prospect of Print-On-Demand and such. At the moment, we do not have the print licenses for it, but if you would like us to release them, please, contact us at [email protected], so we have more feedback for the publishers.
yu3lora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
JManga wrote:

We will look into the prospect of Print-On-Demand and such. At the moment, we do not have the print licenses for it, but if you would like us to release them, please, contact us at [email protected], so we have more feedback for the publishers.

Eh!!. Please release it physically! We would love to have it on our book shelf.. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2