• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Tetsuooooo!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not a real fan of 2001, either, but I do respect its impact on cinema and its ambitious effort to explore the technical possibilities of the medium and our own world. I'll agree with you on Eva, though, but not Akira. The latter anime is very to-the-point, so I'm not sure why you consider it pretentious. And if you don't like realism, why watch anime in the first place? I'm sorry about your husband and your job, but some people find content which is darker more comforting, because they can relate to it better than the fluff. Also, if Akira's a "guy" flick, then why does Bamboo like it? I personally consider it to be more of a "disillusioned guy trying to become more responsible" flick.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
maaya wrote:
Quote:
One key scene corresponds to Volume 11: Chapter 60, but most content is entirely original. Except for Raki’s disposition, it does at least generally come back in line with Volume 12 of the manga by its conclusion.

Huh? You'll really have to explain that to me once the final DVD has been released, to me it couldn't be any more different Anime hyper They left out and changed so much stuff that I really can't imagine how a second season could get back into the manga storyline without rewritting those last episodes oO; *Hopes for Claymore to get FMA or Hellsing treatment* Very Happy

Content will always be left out of anime adaptations since their structure doesn't allow for the kind of side-noting that's possible in manga format. If you get too picky about minor details being left out then you'll never be satisfied with an anime adaptation of a manga.

As for explaining about the ending. . . well, let's just say that my review of the final volume should be very interesting. Wink

I don't think maaya was really complaining about minor details, as much as commenting on the line from the guide you linked, that stated that the end of anime is generally back in line with the manga after Volume 12.

Because it's not, really. There are some pretty massive differences between the anime ending and the manga that would make a second season that continued to follow the manga pretty much impossible, and it's not just the thing the guide mentioned.

Anyways, glad to see Claymore is getting more good reviews. It's one of my favorite series, and even though I prefer the manga the anime isn't bad.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I've watched Akira 3 times and keep coming to the same conclusion--it has no plot, no point, and the violence is its only substance holding it up. In fact, from what I understand, the reason why some anime fans persist it's a classic to this day is because the movie came out at a time when everybody thought all cartoons were for kids and this movie took everybody by surprise. I hated it the first time, but learned to appreciate the second time, but I could never call it a great movie.

Akira came when much of anime fandom were borne out of sci-fi. Much of the 1980s were about sci-fi and cyberpunk.
And one of the early anime films that could compete technically with Western films.

SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:
Wow, the amount of Akira-bashing here is kinda surprising. I have to wonder how many people bad-mouthing it have been watching anime since the '90s, as its stock seems weaker with the newer generation of fans.

Been watching since the late 80s, here. Very Happy

Yeah, right, TV anime on Nick don't count. Razz

Anime fandom was just quite different back then. T'was hardcore. Laughing
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure what part of what I said implied the only anime I saw was on "Nick", but sure, okay. (Did they even air anime on Nick in the 80s? News to me.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:55 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
I'm not sure what part of what I said implied the only anime I saw was on "Nick", but sure, okay. (Did they even air anime on Nick in the 80s? News to me.)

I was being facetious. Laughing

But yes, there were "children's anime" on Nick when Nick was young and needed to fill programming. For someone who's familiar with anime in the late 80s, you should've known that! Wink
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:46 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I use anime to unwind after a hard day talking to convicted felons who lie to me all day long.

In addition to what Zac said, I would like to add: It's fine if you just want anime to be a light and easy way to relax. However, that doesn't make deeper or more complex anime bad. Just not for you. (I'd also still think that just because it's not what you're looking for wouldn't stop you from still at the very least being able to observe it's merit). Yet your tone seems rather spiteful towards anime like that. You imply it is all just pretentious and (sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth here) that those of us who like it are somehow 'wrong'.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:10 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Claymore... As for explaining about the ending. . . well, let's just say that my review of the final volume should be very interesting. Wink

DAMN! I want to hear it NOW Smile. I'll be waiting...
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
I never really cared for Claymore, I thought it was very similar to Berserk, but just not as violent.

As for Afro Samurai, i hated it, it wasn't good at all,it tried to do like a Samurai Champloo mixed in with a little Ninja Scroll. I despise rap music, so that didn't add to the experience.

Akira is classic even if its only remembered for its technical merits, and perhaps has a greater meaning in Japan than America.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
I do have to say I've never been able to stomach the dub, never listened to it more than the first few minutes, one time. Are we in Brooklyn, or Tokyo? Smile

Wait? Are you talking about the new dub? I thought the newer dub (with JYB as the lead) was pretty good, though the script didn't flow too well in some parts. The old dub was pretty bad from what I remember. Trying to add a cheesy line whenever possible is not a good idea.

As for Afro Samurai, I liked it for what it was, trying to show people kill each other in the most brutal way. The best episodes were 4 & 5, but I think that's just because Yuri Lowenthal play a big role. Razz Still haven't seen Resurrection; I'll try to this weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
(Did they even air anime on Nick in the 80s? News to me.)

Heck yeah! Mysterious Cities of Gold! I can't believe they're releasing it on DVD, too...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

I was being facetious. Laughing

But yes, there were "children's anime" on Nick when Nick was young and needed to fill programming. For someone who's familiar with anime in the late 80s, you should've known that! Wink

I must admit, I wasn't even allowed to watch Nick when I was younger. Even the slightest offensive programming was monitored by hardcore Christian parentage. I had to be limited to what my uncle who often visited snuck in over VHS. xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
I must admit, I wasn't even allowed to watch Nick when I was younger. Even the slightest offensive programming was monitored by hardcore Christian parentage. I had to be limited to what my uncle who often visited snuck in over VHS. xD

Did you get to watch Superbook, at least?
Avarice_WP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Poor songstresscela has been defending herself for a while about her Akira comments lol. For what its worth I kind of agree with you- I dont see why its considered a classic either. I grew up in the 90's, so maybe I just missed out on it when it was big. Someone commented on the fact that Akira seems less important to newer generations now, and I think he's right. Another note- I used Akira once as a gateway anime for a friend- and he fell asleep during the movie. I was kinda pissed and disapointed, soI dont think its a very good movie to introduce people to anime with. I think the story tries to be too philosophical- maybe it just didn't translate well into English or something. Anyways...
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

Did you get to watch Superbook, at least?

Haha, oh wow! I totally did. xDD I completely forgot about that show! I never actually sat down for it, but I remember seeing snippets here and there while channel surfing. xD
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I never really cared for Claymore, I thought it was very similar to Berserk, but just not as violent.

Claymore gets compared to Berserk a lot, but I've never fully understood the comparision. Ok, they are both set in medieval looking worlds, so at first glance they have that thing in common, and there aren't too many anime/manga series set in worlds like that so Claymore/Berserk tend to stand out a bit.

But their stories are really quite different. Their characters as well. It's a superficial similarity, in my view.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6