• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of Vesperia RPG to Get Theatrical Film This Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of the biggest Tales of... fangirls out there, and while i'm not done ToV (because my xbox scratched the disk beyond readability), it really is NOT all that high on my list - it's quite near the bottom (and i've played... all of them minus the cell games and the failed online Eternia). i didn't like the characters nearly as much as other games and the story had quite a few things i've seen more than enough times. and if you look at characters, estelle has a lot of personality similarities as collette in regards to their 'strength' and 'determination'. It'll look pretty with movie budget, but it'll suffer the same fate ToPhantasia anime had and a lot of the story elements will be lost for time.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Uh...statistics are on my side. <_<; The game was incredibly well-received, it made Japan of all places temporarily sell out of the dreaded Xbox, it's got extremely high review scores nearly across the board...But yeah, whatever you say.

*sigh* ...

Sales Figures

Tales of Vesperia Sales
161,070 (Japan)
97,000 (USA)

Persona 4 Sales
297,000 (Japan)
212,000 (USA)

Metacritic Scores

Tales of Vesperia - 81
Persona 4 - 93

...Whoooooops.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, now all we can hope is that it will get a US release.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Looking at those sales figures, when can I expect a PS3 version? I lol that the Piracy rich PSP can have a Tales game that sells 220,000 and has already outsold Vesperia.

Although to be fair, I'm pretty sure Microsoft bundled Tales with 360s, so they probably don't count those ones, but they were sold.

Interesting to note, I just bought Tales Of The World: Radiant Mythology, and Tales Of Symphonia 2 for a combined $40 on Saturday brand new. I'm happy about that. Though Symphonia 2 is... not so swell.

Also, what's Valkria Chronicles' metacritic? I think it's in the mid-80's so even on HD consoles Vesperia isn't king.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I really should continue the game. It's been months since I started. Laughing

Primus wrote:

Although to be fair, I'm pretty sure Microsoft bundled Tales with 360s, so they probably don't count those ones, but they were sold.

Hmmm... haven't heard of that bundle....
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I meant in Japan. Microsoft knows their fanbase in the US, they know throwing an RPG in a bundle here is retail poison.
Asamidori

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
glitteringloke wrote:
failed online Eternia

Bet I'm one of the few who actually liked Eternia Online. Still wish there'd be a private server of it somewhere.

Primus wrote:

Heard there were about 26k of those bundles, all sold out, all counted into the sales figures. (I wanted to get that, but the only place that actually had it was YesAsia for a nasty 800 USD price tag.)
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Asamidori wrote:

Bet I'm one of the few who actually liked Eternia Online. Still wish there'd be a private server of it somewhere.

i wish i had the opportunity to actually play it before it died Sad (and i really wish i could play the cell games - like tales of breaker)
dopple

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
Uh...statistics are on my side. <_<; The game was incredibly well-received, it made Japan of all places temporarily sell out of the dreaded Xbox, it's got extremely high review scores nearly across the board...But yeah, whatever you say.

*sigh* ...

Sales Figures

Tales of Vesperia Sales
161,070 (Japan)
97,000 (USA)

Persona 4 Sales
297,000 (Japan)
212,000 (USA)

Metacritic Scores

Tales of Vesperia - 81
Persona 4 - 93

...Whoooooops.

I'm not getting in to this argument, but keep in mind that Persona 4 is on the PS2, and Tales of Vesperia is on Xbox360. Millions of people have a PS2 in Japan. How many have an Xbox360?

As for the US, well, it's Tales in the US. I don't think we expected much more.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
dopple wrote:
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

*sigh* ...

Sales Figures

Tales of Vesperia Sales
161,070 (Japan)
97,000 (USA)

Persona 4 Sales
297,000 (Japan)
212,000 (USA)

Metacritic Scores

Tales of Vesperia - 81
Persona 4 - 93

...Whoooooops.

I'm not getting in to this argument, but keep in mind that Persona 4 is on the PS2, and Tales of Vesperia is on Xbox360. Millions of people have a PS2 in Japan. How many have an Xbox360?

I realize that. Which is exactly why I posted it to; to argue that fool's dumbass argument of being the highest selling JRPG "this generation."

I just used P4 as a rough example. I know that there were at least half a dozen that sold even more.

I just hate being called a troll for dumbshit reasons by an ignorant, rabid fangirl when I have a valid argument... =_=;;
DFBTG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
dopple wrote:
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

*sigh* ...

Sales Figures

Tales of Vesperia Sales
161,070 (Japan)
97,000 (USA)

Persona 4 Sales
297,000 (Japan)
212,000 (USA)

Metacritic Scores

Tales of Vesperia - 81
Persona 4 - 93

...Whoooooops.

I realize that. Which is exactly why I posted it to; to argue that fool's dumbass argument of being the highest selling JRPG "this generation."

I just used P4 as a rough example. I know that there were at least half a dozen that sold even more.

I just hate being called a troll for dumbshit reasons by an ignorant, rabid fangirl when I have a valid argument... =_=;;

I think you're getting 'this generation' and 'this year' (well, I suppose it would be last year by now) mixed up. Of course P4 is going to sell decently well, too, considering how many PS2s were sold (last number I saw on gamespot was 140 million) and I imagine a fair number of those still own theirs and it came out not too long after P3 which wasn't exactly a fail. Granted I don't I have any actual numbers (aside from the PS2 consoles sold), so I am just assuming here, and I care far too little to look to see if any other JRPG sold/did as well thus far this generation. Not that that's a fair measuring stick, there hasn't exactly been a lot of them released outside of Japan to the best of my knowledge. Although who knows, maybe Star Ocean will usurp it? Of course, sales figures (or even ratings) are by no means a measure of a games greatness because both Halo and Gears of War sell like hate cakes and get rave reviews but their story is a load of bullocks (Gears especially), characters are flat and 99% static (again, Gears especially), and the Halo gameplay is as banal and uninspiring as nearly every other FPS out there.
At any rate, I rather enjoyed Tales of Vesperia. I found the characters to be memorable, engaging, and otherwise enjoyable. I also found the plot to fit into those same categories. Now, is it the best game I've played? No, that throne seats only the Metal Gear Solid Saga, with the Persona games sitting at its right hand, but that doesn't mean I didn't have a darn good time playing it. In fact, after I beat P4 I'll probably play it again before playing Nocturne.
On to the topic at hand, I'll probably watch this. I enjoyed the game greatly, but it's not something I hold in such high regards that a potentially crappy adaption would tarnish in the slightest, so I think I'll risk it. Chances are I want lose more than some time unless I like it.

Last edited by DFBTG on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm feeling pretty blah about Vesperia right now, I don't think it's a bad game but I pretty much can only take it because Yuri Raven and Judith are cool and Repede doesn't talk, the rest of the cast is like a speed bump in this game's road to be REALLY awesome instead of just very cool.

A Movie? I mean..it could work, there's actually a lot of pointless stuff that occurs in this game to make up the bulk of it's playtime, if it were condensed into the major scenes and maybe rearranged a bit, then it'd probably work out fine.

But yeah, Estelle Rita and Karol make my head hurt.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Which is exactly why I posted it to; to argue that fool's dumbass argument of being the highest selling JRPG "this generation."

I never said it was the highest selling, genius. Learn to read. For christ's sake, I'm sitting here trying to have a half-decent debate and you're being the most immature, whiny little brat I've ever seen on these forums.

Also, the PS2 != this generation. Persona 4 was outstanding, yes. We know. I also really like how you're acting the martyr here, "Wah wah, she called me a troll." Suck it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

I never said it was the highest selling, genius. Learn to read. For christ's sake, I'm sitting here trying to have a half-decent debate and you're being the most immature, whiny little brat I've ever seen on these forums.

Oh, that's right. I'm sorry. I forgot to mention highest rated as well. Put those two together...and we get highest received.
SongstressCela wrote:
Congratulations on trolling probably the most well-received JRPG this generation. I'm sure you're very proud of yourself.

Excellent. Congratulations on being an ignorant fangirl who jumped the gun.

Oh, right. You were wrong, too.
SongstressCela wrote:
I also really like how you're acting the martyr here, "Wah wah, she called me a troll." Suck it up.

No, I won't suck it up. I had an opinion. You were being a whiny bitch. I had facts. You're still being a whiny bitch. In fact, you don't even know when or where to stop.

THE DEBATE IS OVER! YOU LOOOOOST. Oh, wait. I guess you never heard that before. Guess I'll emulate your upbringing:

"You were the last winner."

Better? Now, take a hike. Complain somewhere else on how Tales of Vesperia is the most well-received JRPG this generation. Somewhere, that's I dunno, a Tales fansite maybe? Some place that will actually care about your bullshit and ignore all the facts?
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

Oh, that's right. I'm sorry. I forgot to mention highest rated as well. Put those two together...and we get highest received.
SongstressCela wrote:
Congratulations on trolling probably the most well-received JRPG this generation. I'm sure you're very proud of yourself.

Excellent. Congratulations on being an ignorant fangirl who jumped the gun.

Oh, right. You were wrong, too.
SongstressCela wrote:
I also really like how you're acting the martyr here, "Wah wah, she called me a troll." Suck it up.

No, I won't suck it up. I had an opinion. You were being a whiny bitch. I had facts. You're still being a whiny bitch. In fact, you don't even know when or where to stop.

THE DEBATE IS OVER! YOU LOOOOOST. Oh, wait. I guess you never heard that before. Guess I'll emulate your upbringing:

"You were the last winner."

Better? Now, take a hike. Complain somewhere else on how Tales of Vesperia is the most well-received JRPG this generation. Somewhere, that's I dunno, a Tales fansite maybe? Some place that will actually care about your bullshit and ignore all the facts?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Real Talk these JRPGs is some serious business, IT'S PAAAAAAAAAAAANDEMONIUM!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3