• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is fansubs?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lamel2g

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:53 pm Reply with quote
What is fansubs [edit - no. -c]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Lexicon wrote:
A fansub is a fan-produced translated, subtitled version of an anime program. Fansubs are a tradition that began with the first anime clubs in the 1980s, although with the advent of cheap computer software and subbing equipment, they really took off in the mid 1990s. Nearly all fansubs are produced by anime fans for fans, and are distributed free (or at the very most, for reimbursement of incidental costs such as blank tape for the particular copy, postage, etc.)

Those who do charge money for fansubs are frowned upon as bootleggers. Fansubs are distributed through local anime clubs, trading through the mail or now through file-sharing services on the Internet. Although technically illegal -- Japanese copyrights are honored in the US and other Berne Convention countries and vice versa -- some anime licensors look the other way on fansubs as "free advertising" since people who see a fansub are likely to buy the release on DVD if they enjoy it.

Fansubbers also follow a code of honor of sorts, and halt all work on a title once it has been licensed in the US.

And by the way, you can't ask for fansubs here either.

Teh Rules wrote:
10) Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanilations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, or websites that house these groups or products.

Sorry. But if you search around hard enough, you might find them.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1