• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's 2009 Anime Cast Revealed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
As far as this Isaac person goes, my guess is that it's a major character from either episode 1 itself or an early new story arc. The new series is an adaptation of the manga, yes, but they've been deliberately coy about not saying what episode 1 is about, saying they want it to be a surprise, which seems to imply they're taking at least SOME liberties with it.

And really, if you're going to take liberties with the new series, you take them with the part of the series that was most closely adapted from the manga the first time around.
Azumizai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
@ Azumizai: Personally, I wouldn't call myself a fan of FMA - it's neat and all, but it's not the best thing ever. I was, however, a huge fan of the original Japanese cast, because I thought they worked extremely well together and fit their roles brilliantly. The only reason I was excited about the new series was because it was potentially an opportunity to hear that cast again, as those same characters, only involved in some new, more interesting stories. Now that I know the cast is different, though, what's there for me to like? If I watched the original series largely for the voice actors, why should I bother with this one when the voice actors have mostly been replaced by people I don't know or don't like?

I'm just sayin'. Seiji Mizushima, get out there and make something else fun so I can listen to your awesome obligatory cast again!

See? That's a perfectly reasonable reason to be displeased right there. Because you want to see it for the voice actors, I know you'd be certainly dissapointed with that list. Heck, I know of one Anime I'm like that with, and I'd be sore if they did a remake/adaption and didn't bring some of my favorites back. :]

I'm more ticked at the people who seem to be saying that for the SAKE of saying it. The ones who are denouncing it for no real reason. Like, claiming to be a huge fan of FMA, but then deciding because say, Roy Mustang isn't the same (and I am NOT referring to anyone in specific), they decide to denounce it. That's who I get really ticked at. -sighs-

Those people who DON'T do ANY reasearch at all, or get ticked at things when they really DON'T get how HARD it is to make these kinds of things. When they make stupid statments when they don't get how it's done at all. =__=

But yeah, I can understand a bit of sourness from you. But hey, you never know, these people might work well together too. So take a gander. Anime hyper

By all means, if you don't like it, then that's fine too. :]

I mean, I certainly can't say if I'll like it at all. To be frank, I might even despise it. Anime hyper I have to watch it first!

*pats*

Well. Let's hope you get to see your favorite anime voice actors in other animes, and also that this one works really well with the ones that they have? Mm?

Last edited by Azumizai on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Shinichiro Miki is a fine voice actor. He was a great Lockon Stratos in Gundam 00 and Allen Schezar in Vision of Escaflowne. I'll give him a chance as Roy Mustang, but Toru Okawa was an extremely good one with a big, booming voice befitting the character, and I'm disappointed he wasn't picked up again.

Many of the other replacements have a likewise effect on me, disappointment, but cautious optimism. I think it was necessary, though, to replace roles which will be a lot more active based on their manga counterparts, or with a different quality.

At least Paku and Kugimiya have returned. I wonder if Funimation will replace roles if they license it. If I were them, I'd leave the cast as-is, since it's a popular dub (though I frankly dislike it).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

yeah sad but probably his most known role is that of takumi from initial d but i wasnt too thrilled. character had no personality. not a good mix for someone like miki.

My thoughts exactly. Takumi was rather dull compared to Miki's other stuff (like Gakuen Heaven had to be fun considering it was such an outrageous character).

I mean, he's Urahara. Someone think he can't play Mustang? The last Roy Mustang VA sure isn't in the top 10 most prolific--don't think I've EVER seen the guy's name anywhere close while Miki, Yamaguchi, Hayashibara & Koyasu always seem in the top 5. This suggests Miki's one of the better VA's, peoples.
Just because I've liked him forever has no influence on that opinion...
Wink

fosho my friend. miki as the stubborn and unemotional takumi? no thanks. miki as the arrogant and lady loving mustang? this is bound to be epic Very Happy
animelov3r

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Kikuko Inoue as Lust FTW! <333 I'm sooo excited she'll be orgasmic to my ears.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Some of the characters probably evolved differently in the manga than expected when the original anime was made, so the vision of how they sound is different. I mean, look who they kept. Ed, Al, & Maes Hughes shouldn't be all that different in portrayal between the 2 series

Not to mention--scheduling conflicts. If any of the old cast has found themselves a current gig on an ongoing title that tapes the same day, they would likely beg off doing the new title.

Al is arguably the most different character in the two portrayals! Also I have seen Riza Hawkeye's voice actress pull off action roles, their is no reason for the more action based Riza Hawkeye to be based on anyone else.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I could care less about all the recasts, since I watched the first series dubbed. Still, I love a lot of the new casting choices.

Shinichiro Miki as Roy Mustang
Fumiko Orikasa as Riza Hawkeye
Kaori Nazuka as Maria Ross
Kenta Miyake as Scar
Kikuko Inoue as Lust
Minami Takayama as Envy
Hiroyuki Yoshino as Kimblee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ach. I really don’t know if I should watch this on fansubs as it comes out or wait for Funimation to pick it up. I can only imagine Ed as Vic Mignogna, Al as Aaron Dismuke, and all of the other English cast. I tried watching it in Japanese once, but I was so turned off by the fact that Ed and Al are played by girls that I couldn’t finish the episode. Well, what are we going to do. I’ll probably watch it anyways.

Somebody just like me! I also couldn’t finish an episode of the Japanese version for that reason.

Hey, why would they release casting choices about some character no one knows about, therefore, no one cares about? Nobody knows who Isaac is, so nobody can say “Ugh! What a bad choice! That doesn’t fit his character at all!” or “Yes! I know he’ll be able to act out his personality!” They might as well’ve just released the name of some filler character nobody cares about.

Quote:
I mean, I’d be heartbroken if Vic say, didn’t play Ed in the dubbed version, but I won’t ABANDON it.

( ~ Azumitai)

Actually, I would probably abandon it. Vic made FMA work for me, and it wouldn’t be as enjoyable without him. Although, I sincerely doubt that, if this gets dubbed, Vic won’t play Ed. That’s like a one in gazillion chance.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I thought Aaron (Dismuke?)'s been saying he has it. Wasn't that on the commentary on something lately? Ouran? Not that he should know really. It's not been cast I would think.

No, that wasn't something Aaron said on the Ouran commentary. Actually the main thing I remember from that was he said his mom once told him she should have slipped him some birth control pills so his voice wouldn't change (she seem to have a twisted sense of humor) Laughing .

I've not heard of anything that says Funimation even has the show licensed yet, so I don't think any of the original VA's have even begun to try to get back parts. With Aaron, I have read he is asking his fans not to ask him to do Al's voice at conventions because he's no longer a kid and can't really do the voice now. That said, I'm not sure that equates to "I don't/won't want to do Al if I get asked to do so for the new series." I do think it is a clue that Aaron can't do the voice the exact same way, if he was to come back as Al, but it doesn't rule him out of the part completely in my mind. However, I think that the "can Aaron do Al's voice for the new series" bridge is going to have to be crossed when the show actually gets license. Until then there is no idea where Aaron's voice will be at soundwise. Something he did say, in passing in the Ouran commentary, was to the effect that his voice should end up rather deep when it's through changing (I can't remember exactly what he said but I remember thinking it probably has to do with how other males in his family talk and he's thinking he may end up with a voice in a similar range). If his thought on that is true then he actually may be way past the point of doing Al's voice by the time the show actually is ready to dub Sad .

On the other hand the only thing that's going to keep Vic M. from trying to get back the part, IMO, would be Bandai getting FMA2 and giving the dub to Ocean (which would pretty much defacto mean the new dub would be completely recast though you can't say "never" to Vic showing up in it Laughing ) . Because I get the impression Vic really loves the part and I can't see him not trying to get it back no matter who licenses the show.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Al is arguably the most different character in the two portrayals! Also I have seen Riza Hawkeye's voice actress pull off action roles, their is no reason for the more action based Riza Hawkeye to be based on anyone else.

I really don't care for Al so I sort of breeze thru his stuff in the manga. This whole voice change issue is another reason I also prefer gals doing pre-pub boys. I never heard a single thing in the portrayal of Al in English that convinced me a young boy worked better than Lucy Christian or Mona Marshall.

MeggieMay wrote:

No, that wasn't something Aaron said on the Ouran commentary. Actually the main thing I remember from that was he said his mom once told him she should have slipped him some birth control pills so his voice wouldn't change (she seem to have a twisted sense of humor) Laughing .

Which may be part of why I found that commentary a pain. I've heard enough commentaries to know the actors can be very informative, or total airheads & I remember thinking of turning it off several times. He was probably talking about another role.
It wasn't as annoying as the girls on ROD. I'll give him that.

Last edited by CCSYueh on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
zomgheals

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I hear people saying this is completely new and all and is going to follow the manga.

The first parts of the manga is pretty much exact same as original FMA then takes a different path, i want to know if they'll be starting where it took off from the manga? or starting from the very start.

Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
zomgheals wrote:
The first parts of the manga is pretty much exact same as original FMA then takes a different path, i want to know if they'll be starting where it took off from the manga? or starting from the very start.

Uh .... Maes Hughes being listed in the cast is a BIG hint. That said, why would they start from where the first series diverged? spoiler[Hughes was already dead at that point]. Seems to me that they'll be starting from the beginning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zomgheals

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Razz

Been such a long time since i've actually watched the anime, i've never read past chapter 3 in manga as i thought it was EXACT same as anime.
crow-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I was reading some old chapters. An Isaac party does get mentioned in passing. In a scene during the Ishbal war chapters. Maybe this guy gets some extra lines or something. He might be the guy Hughes talks to after Bradley mocks Ishbals God. Though it does seem odd he would mentioned during a announcement like this.

Last edited by crow-kun on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Highly unlikely now that Aaron Dismuke will reprise Alphonse. He's almost 18 now, and he could very well be 22 by the time FUNi picks this up.

Laura Bailey who played Lust is no longer with FUNimation so unlikely she'll return as Lust either. Though there's still a chance she can return.

I think Vic is still a grantee for Edward, considering how much he loves the character Smile People will die probably if they don't let him have it Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13