• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Video Group to Release Digimon Adventure Season 1 on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I'm not talking about the release itself, but the fans. Most of the people commenting here keep talking about nostalgia, but don't see to mind that the show has been changed, whereas it's sort of a rarity to see now in the anime fandom. I'm not even talking about a language dub vs sub thing, but dub changes in general.

I would say the reasons are 1) People are more familiar with the dub version and 2) 9 times out of 10, the changes really aren't that significant. The story is the same, the characters are the same (with some exceptions), just with some bad jokes thrown in mainly.

I will agree that what was done to the movie however was pretty terrible. But that's the movie, not the show, which is what this release is for.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

See: Persona 4 dub-only BD thread with 25 pages of people complaining it being dub only (and for kicks and giggles, there's quite a few same people defending this release in this thread, yet chewing out Sentai/Aniplex in the other topic. Hypocrisy at it's finest.)

marie-antoinette wrote:

I would say the reasons are 1) People are more familiar with the dub version and 2) 9 times out of 10, the changes really aren't that significant. The story is the same, the characters are the same (with some exceptions), just with some bad jokes thrown in mainly.

I will agree that what was done to the movie however was pretty terrible. But that's the movie, not the show, which is what this release is for.

I think I'm beginning to see that nostalgia really does take over! When something like One Piece or Naruto get slight edits in the manga, oh geeze.. Watch OUT!! But with something like Digimon, you tell them how a gun was digitally taken out and covered up, and you get a 'meh'. Do it one One Piece? 4KIDS IS A PIECE OF CRAP!!! ...that's the general attitude towards it.

Also like I mentioned in the other thread about this, I STILL encourage fans of the dub to check out the original (especially the movies). They have all been 100% fansubbed (although it took MANY MANY years!!) and just the music in Movie 1, 2, and 4 are one of my top favorite soundtracks ever! Movie 3, well, it's not that popular^^ The dub movie sure made it look action-packed though! Although, I still like it for the songs Stand by Me, and to an extent, Forever Friends. Movie 2 (Summer Wars 0.1) alone, is one of my favorites too.

I only encourage, so people can check out what they are missing, of why fans enjoy it more than the dub^^
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Please lead to a Tamers boxset! It's the only Digimon series I care for....
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

I only encourage, so people can check out what they are missing, of why fans enjoy it more than the dub^^

Did it ever occur to you that most fans did check out the movies fansubbed and just prefer the dubbed versions?

Yeah, that's me. I checked out the subbed, right from the get-go, wanted to see it dubbed.

Movie 3 was the most boring piece of crap that existed. Don't the Japanese know what "music" is for that movie? ....Apparently not. Alot of the things were completely dragged out in the movie and add little to no value to the story. So was the dubbed movie chopped up? Sure it was, but was it boring, long and dragged out with scenes that have little to do with the plot of the movie? No, everything unnecessary was cut out. And to be honest, I prefer it that way.

The same goes for the series. All of the "scenes" that were supposively "edited out", did it affect the overall story of the show? Not in the least. We still understood the concept and we still enjoyed it. Dialogue changes? Maybe. But again, it goes with "unnecessary-ness" of things. How many times must a person/Digimon repeat "THIS GUY IS SO STRONG/WE CAN'T BEAT HIM" x7..or should I say, x14, since we have 14 characters? It makes them look more stupid than putting a bad pun/joke in it.

Heck, the dub even made fun of itself sometimes at the stupidness of the writers.

Like when Davis, in the movie, decided to ride on Raidramon after waiting around for hours waiting for a car.
Willis' response? "Couldn't you have done that before?" ....yeah, why couldn't you instead of wasting 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get a ride....

In One Piece's and CCS' case, the story was changed and that's why fans were angry. But Digimon? The story is still there.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that most fans did check out the movies fansubbed and just prefer the dubbed versions?

I could probably say it's more of a minority of people that have and prefer the dub more. Not that anyone really even spoke up about it. Just you right now. Also, I already mentioned that Movie 3 wasn't popular at all. Still, even a movie like that doesn't deserve to be cut up just cause it's sub par.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I think I'm beginning to see that nostalgia really does take over! When something like One Piece or Naruto get slight edits in the manga, oh geeze.. Watch OUT!! But with something like Digimon, you tell them how a gun was digitally taken out and covered up, and you get a 'meh'. Do it one One Piece? 4KIDS IS A PIECE OF CRAP!!! ...that's the general attitude towards it.

Just imagine if they inserted Smash Mouth, Fatboy Slim, Less Than Jake, and Bowling for Soup songs in One Piece like they did for Digimon. Or rewrote tons of characters to make them bad actor parodies, like when in Digimon they made characters act like a poorman's Rodney Dangerfield, Christopher Walken, William Shatner, and other old actors no kid is going to know. The writers clearly didn't care about the show itself and viewed it as a paycheck; and it's pretty much a gag dub with all that stuff they changed and altered. It's pretty much nothing like the original, not when you screw up your characters as bad as Apocalymon or Mimi and Daisuke and the like.

Plus there's no AiM or Wada Kouji in the dub, and it's not Digimon without those two amazing singers working as a team and doing the music.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

I could probably say it's more of a minority of people that have and prefer the dub more. Not that anyone really even spoke up about it. Just you right now. Also, I already mentioned that Movie 3 wasn't popular at all. Still, even a movie like that doesn't deserve to be cut up just cause it's sub par.

All my friends who are all Digimon fans prefer the dubbed version. (Btw, the link is also someone who prefers dub over sub and if I see any of that "not a true fan" because he likes the dub, I'd like to see one of you make an AMV better than the one he made there)

Besides, the ones who cut up the movie were also the one's responsible for 02's treatment of Davis and overall large amount of jokes in 02.

http://digipedia.db-destiny.net/misc/faq.htm#2.3

Please knock yourself out. Everyone who is so quick to bash on the dub don't even realize that most of the time, the writers have no choice in the matter.

TitanXL wrote:

Plus there's no AiM or Wada Kouji in the dub, and it's not Digimon without those two amazing singers working as a team and doing the music.

From your logic right there then, Digimon Savers and Digimon Xros Wars are not "Digimon" then.

Please, sure music is important, but to classify a show soley based on the music and not the actual content of the series itself? Yeah... no.
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
This was posted to r/digimon forever ago. Usually ANN is on top of this stuff.

Quote:
Format - Dubbed in English

Disappointed by lack of sub though. 02 and Tamers are subbed on hulu and one of the newer ones is on crunchyroll so it's pretty disappointing.

TheAnagelic1 wrote:
Please lead to a Tamers boxset! It's the only Digimon series I care for....

Better support season 1 first then.

Last edited by population_tire on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From your logic right there then, Digimon Savers and Digimon Xros Wars are not "Digimon" then.

But Kouji did do music for Savers and Xros Wars...
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Quote:

But Kouji did do music for Savers and Xros Wars...

But not AiM, and you stated they both need to "work as a team" in order for it to be "Digimon", which in Savers and Xros Wars, they did not.
Nawulf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
/inb4 people start bitching about the lack of the Japanese audio, despite the fact that the majority of people who would buy this grew up with and associate this show with the English dub.

I beg do differ, we Finnish people suffered from this CRAP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T_TLBZxY4U

And after a huge amount of complaints we got this in Japanese w/ Finnish subs.

So despite the different DVD region, I would've bought this if it had Japanese audio. -.-
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
sheleigha wrote:

Attitudes like that is the reason why to this day, we don't have a complete accurate version of Final Fantasy IV.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

Besides, the ones who cut up the movie were also the one's responsible for 02's treatment of Davis and overall large amount of jokes in 02.

http://digipedia.db-destiny.net/misc/faq.htm#2.3

Please knock yourself out. Everyone who is so quick to bash on the dub don't even realize that most of the time, the writers have no choice in the matter.

Chris McFeely... Megchan... LeLola... Those names bring me back a good decade back... But anyways...

Quote:
The true culprit in all of this was micro-management. The popularity of the first season made the producers take a specific interest in the production of the second, with a large number of edicts handed down to Nimoy and Buchholz, most prominently, to make the show "funnier."

I don't really see here where the "writers didn't have a choice" when they wanted to make the show "funnier". Plain and simple, they added in jokes for a western audience, pretty much. Maybe they thought it would bland without it? I don't know... I will say that just before I exited the dub scene, I did watch some of the Tamers dub. From what I recall, it actually had a GOOD dub, script wise (except for making Culumon/Calumon talk WAY too much, in lines where he was originally silent, and a couple poor voices) I remember it being pretty accurate! Note this was also when Nimoy and Buchholz left. Still, the original Tamers music was the best in the entire franchise, for me, and what pretty much got me introduced to JPOP (and subbed anime as well).

KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Attitudes like that is the reason why to this day, we don't have a complete accurate version of Final Fantasy IV.

I've heard the PSP is the best version of it localized, but I guess even that has its changes? (I'm guessing it has to do with a Spoony Bard?)
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I've heard the PSP is the best version of it localized, but I guess even that has its changes? (I'm guessing it has to do with a Spoony Bard?)

As long as that line is in the game, nobody has the right to say that Final Fantasy IV is 100% accurate to the original.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

I have to say that I prefer the dub as well. Or maybe it's more I prefer to have the dub, if I have to choose one or the other.

I always prefer dubs if they are well acted and have dialogue that, IMO, works as well as the sub script. Which Digimon mostly does (and the two episodes in particular I know that are not very good dubbed are both in the 02 season, aside from the Apoclomon stuff mentioned earlier).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10