• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Supernerds Assemble

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I am not exactly going to say that the director of Negima?! is the next Hayao Miyazaki or Satoshi Kon...

Perhaps not, but he is one of the most unusual and unique talents in the TV sphere this past decade. His work is recognizable at a glance, and I find myself looking forward to everything he's attached to, even if the results fall apart (Vampire Bund, I'm looking at you).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

Then can you please explain to me why was that episode full of cliches?

Because "cliches" aren't bad, and bashing a show just because it is "full of cliches" is intellectually lazy.

The first episode of Madoka was not "OMG MOST ORIGINAL SHOW EVER" but...I never said it was.

I said it was well executed, subtlely disturbing, and made it clear that no matter what the previews and OP said, the show was not sunshine and happiness.

And there were some definite non-cliche aspects. Madoka NOT becoming a Magical Girll at the end of the episode (and more than a few people howled in outrage over this!) and Homura's very, VERY clear statement that she should not do so. In fact Homura's entire character was highly unusual for a Magical Girl show, and was a major tip-off that something was not right.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
But the first episode? Yeah, that made it clear this wasn't going to be "normal" magical girl fare

I see that you are doing some historical revisionism there. The first episodes, while visually stunning, was full of clichés and very formulaic.

Yes, you're right, no one who watched that show without coming into it predisposed to roll their eyes at everything could have possibly found it to be anything but a completely by-the-numbers magical girl show that happened to have an interesting visual style.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Hang on, I'm not sure if I understand why people are talking about the first episode.

Am I a stupid moron who shouldn't be allowed to review anime because I changed my mind or because I didn't really see what was so special about Madoka in the first episode preview? For which reason am I a stupid moron who shouldn't be allowed to speak publicly about anything?
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Hang on, I'm not sure if I understand why people are talking about the first episode.

Am I a stupid moron who shouldn't be allowed to review anime because I changed my mind or because I didn't really see what was so special about Madoka in the first episode preview? For which reason am I a stupid moron who shouldn't be allowed to speak publicly about anything?

That seems to be what they're saying, yes.

Either that or there's this asinine notion of you selling out or whatever.

Either way, people need to stop only talking about Madoka in relation to other things. It's NOT a parody and its primary purpose is not commentary on magical girl shows. It stands alone and everyone takes the fact that it seems to be playing with the magical girl thing WAY too far. I'm relatively new to all of this (anime) and Madoka was the first magical girl show I saw, and I have to say, it stands alone very well. It doesn't rely on all this context and 'deconstruction' of anything. That is there, but it's a more minor thing. It's an original story that they wanted to tell, and you can think it's good or bad in its own regard, without constantly comparing it to these other magical girl shows, especially when said comparison usually concludes that it's so 'different' from them anyway.
BarCho66

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I am not exactly going to say that the director of Negima?! is the next Hayao Miyazaki or Satoshi Kon...

Perhaps not, but he is one of the most unusual and unique talents in the TV sphere this past decade. His work is recognizable at a glance, and I find myself looking forward to everything he's attached to, even if the results fall apart (Vampire Bund, I'm looking at you).

I wonder if people back then were spouting this garbage about Anno after Evangelion hit it big? Of course they were Rolling Eyes
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
What we need is a storage locker auction anime. That's one genre that I don't think Japan has produced in manga. I watch Storage Wars as well as Auction Hunters and Storage Hunters. And the one with the Hollywood auction house was interesting. But I have no interest in those pawn shop shows.

I wouldn't say Citizen Cane is a bad film, in fact it's quite good. But I don't feel it's as great as it's hyped to be. There's a lot of dull moments in the movie and the interviews really slow it down. I also feel much the same about The Godfather.

I did catch some episodes of SD Gundam and it wasn't bad, but you have to forget all the regular Gundam. It uses SD designs of the Gundams but the story bears no real relation to other Gundam stories. It's like how that SD Marvel Heroes series relates to the Marvel universe. It may be that SD Gundam wasn't as bad because it wasn't SD humans but SD machines so they don't look as weird.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
And the one with the Hollywood auction house was interesting.

I forgot to mention that one! But it isn't a guilty pleasure, Hollywood Treasure is fantastic. Even if it is produced in the same obnoxious manner as every other reality show.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
What we need is a storage locker auction anime. That's one genre that I don't think Japan has produced in manga. I watch Storage Wars as well as Auction Hunters and Storage Hunters.

All my money.

A storage locker auction harem moe moe sci-fi giant robot kung-fu cat girl deconstruction love comedy-action-drama, written by Shinji Takamatsu, character designs by Takahiro Kishida, directed by Seiji Mizushima. Studio SHAFT. 13 episodes and two movies, first compilation, second original. Theme song by Etsuko Yakushimaru.

Koichi Yamadera as Barry Weiss. Bin Shimada as Dave Hester.

Get on it, Japan. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Farix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

<sarcasm>Of course! You are a critic and critics should never change their minds. Once they written their opinions, it is carved in stone and cannot be changed. Also, you are suppose to have the clairvoyance and foresight to instantly recognize the brilliance of a series the very moment you see it. No, no, three minutes BEFORE you see it.</sarcasm>

But seriously, you weren't saying anything that was all that different from what everyone else thought of Madoka during its first episode. In fact, I declared myself "done" with the series after its second episode and haven't revisited it since.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I said it was well executed, subtlely disturbing, and made it clear that no matter what the previews and OP said, the show was not sunshine and happiness.

As much as it's alright for you to have received that episode in this manner it is also entirely possible for other people to have a different reception.
Another factor is that one's reception of a certain media product can change after repeated viewing so I really seem to miss where there could be any problem about this?

But let me just say that the man of men has already summed it up perfectly before.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm about an hour in and I agree with Zac that big cons can feel impersonal.

I was at San Japan yesterday and I remember feeling incredibly alone in the dealer's room, even though there was literally hundreds of people inside, with so much merchandise and sellers all around. There's something so impersonal about such a big room where everyone is there to buy stuff and only really converses with their friends.
Brakus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as an AMV editor, I wanted to throw my thoughts in about this. And Mike, no hard feelings about you not interested in AMVs - at least I'm glad you enjoy my work, though. Smile

While AMVs have somehow become easier to make, making GOOD AMVs is certainly HARD to make. That's always been the notion in the hobby's community. I have served as a pre-screener for Otakon's AMV contest the past 2 years, and you won't believe how many AMVs I had to sit through that had absolutely NO concept to timing / beat sync / mood / staying to the category, and so forth. Give me something that seems to have some THOUGHT behind its creation, not just mashing clips and songs together on a timeline.

And it's not so much seeing more "original animation" being done, since a lot of us aren't animators or sketch artists to begin with - it's more about getting people to watch the shows or listen to the bands featured in the movie, whether it be a shamelessly fan-pandering video or a video that creates a new/different story than the one in the anime, and everywhere in between. (Perfect example: the video "Hold Me Now" featuring Princess Tutu did a lot more for the anime than anything ADV Films did for the show; when it premiered at Anime Boston's contest several years ago, people snapped up that show on DVD very fast in the Dealer's Room.) If it gets people to buy the anime, or at least become curious about the anime and its themes presented within, I think AMVs get the job done.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I do hope everyone's finished with the several pages of being mystified how someone can think one thing after watching one episode versus having watched the entire series. It will allow us to get back to the important matters at hand, namely THE STUFF I SAID~!:

poonk wrote:
The JoJo's talk roughly halfway through the podcast compels me to comment that the AWO reviews of Parts 1-4 are what got me into JoJo's in the first place (and through me, my friend who is such a fangirl that she went so far as to getting a Joestar "birthmark" tattoo on her shoulder earlier this year; I'm confident she'd testify that JoJo's literally changed her life). You cannot imagine how much money I've spent (mainly on figures) thanks to you guys.

As someone who never did like how tattoos or body piercings look on people, my gut response is "What have I done? WHAT HAVE I DONE?!" but as someone trying to get the word out on this crazy vampire comic written by a crazy vampire man, I have no choice but to respect the mania on display.

BarCho66 wrote:

But hey if this crap didn't have a "proactive" artstyle nobody would have paid it any attention just like how everyone ignored the last Lupin special which aired a few months prior.

Except I did not ignore it. I did mention it, though in the recording I could only describe it as "the mermaid one" (its title is Blood Seal Eternal Mermaid) regarding when Fujiko's voice actor was changed. But I also used it as an example of the "more of the same" holding-pattern formula work that I lamented Lupin the Third had fallen into. As such, your criticism strikes me as groundless. Similarly, your initial post was written as though we only spoke about the visuals of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine as praiseworthy while ignoring the writing. Again, this was not ignored. To allege that it was discounts the entire conversation that was had regarding the series format and ending, what we liked about it, and why. In other words, I literally don't know how your response can be to what was said on this podcast.

The very first reply after your initial post offered a request of you: "Can you state your reasons for believing that the ending makes the whole show pointless?" That has still not happened yet, so I would at this point like to repeat that request for the sake of having an actual discussion, instead of continuing what I noted in the podcast now passes for "discussion." Please elaborate upon what specifically you dislike about the writing of that series, and--in the event that I have preemptively responded to that argument in the recording, which I very well may have--why you feel that argument is not valid. Use spoiler tags where appropriate.

BarCho66 wrote:
Mike Toole wrote:

Actually, my big criteria was simply "mecha series that a lot of ladies seem to enjoy". In 2000, it was Gundam Wing; in 2010, it was Geass. I'd say Code Geass is off the boil now, but they're making more of it, so who knows?

I honestly can't fathom why people keep saying this. Gundam has always had a strong female presence in the fandom since 0079, infact I recall Tomino saying in a 2009 interview that teenage girls were biggest contributors to its popularity and it's not like 0079 didn't have it's fair share of pretty boy characters (Char, Garma, Amuro).

Here is why people keep saying that: the existence of a female presence in the fandom is a separate matter from whether deliberate and explicit consideration is made within the series in question to appeal to them. For example, female audiences have always to some extent read shonen manga, but it was not until roughly the late 1980s that deliberate editorial decisions were made with them being taken into account. I use the distinction "neo-shonen" to describe the change in content and editorial direction since that time, though that term is by no means official. Universal Century-era Gundam did not have much in the way of deliberate "fan service" for the ladies; stuff like Char and Garma were not deliberate "hooks" constructed specifically for that purpose. That sort of thing didn't become prominent until AU productions like Gundam Wing. Modern Sunrise productions such as Gundam SEED, Gundam 00, and Code Geass follow suit in a way that a "retro-style" UC Gundam series such as Unicorn does not.

Brakus wrote:
And it's not so much seeing more "original animation" being done, since a lot of us [AMV creators] aren't animators or sketch artists to begin with - it's more about getting people to watch the shows or listen to the bands featured in the movie, whether it be a shamelessly fan-pandering video or a video that creates a new/different story than the one in the anime, and everywhere in between.

What you describe sounds like the minute exception to the rule. Don't the overwhelming supermajority of AMVs use the most popular anime titles and the most popular songs? It's only a very small cadre of individuals who share your way of thinking, as you've demonstrated by your anecdote regarding just how much awful stuff you have to screen through. I can't in good conscience define the practice by the say, 10 or however many exceptions to what we were describing get made a year. To put it another way, every year at Otakon's Closing Ceremonies they re-run a selection of the AMVs. I believe the ones shown are ones that won awards, yet even those AMVs are tedious/painful for me to sit through. But thousands of people do think otherwise. I can't speak to the accuracy or falsehood of your Princess Tutu anecdote, as most of the ardent fans of the series I've encountered have not mentioned "I saw this awesome AMV" as the reason they were inclined to look into the show. Similarly, I can't name anybody I personally know who became interested in Memories because they saw some Phantom of the Opera AMV set to it, but I know that AMV exists at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
At the end, the topic of people who want honorifics in the subtitles came up. I have a serious question for people who want honorifics:

Why do you want them printed? They're not English words and don't have anything to do with the translation, but most importantly, they're in the Japanese audio. Why do you want them printed when you can just listen for them? They have no direct translation or meaning in English, and kind of need no translation since they're in the audio. I'd like to hear the reasoning of someone who wants them on this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9