• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Loathe Inconsistent Moderation

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:58 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes. Back when the "Incest Anime" thread in the anime thread was first started, I was the first one to reply to it. In answer to the OP's question of, "Is it becoming a more prominent theme in Anime? What do the rest of you think?" I answered to the effect that I thought he'd probably feel comfortable in rural Kentucky.

My post was unceremoniously deleted. Not too surprising, since it did not adhere to the board requirement that every single response be a jewel of thoughtful contemplation and sugary discussiony goodness. However, a little later on another person posted this:
Quote:

Incest is gross..who wants to watch a show about that

To which abuni replied:

Quote:
You will want to read up on the rules of this forum, which require you to actually contribute to the threads you post in.

- abunai

Do you see my annoyance here? I may not like the fact my reply was zapped, but I do understand it. I don't understand why another post that falls short of the gold standard only gets a warning, though.

I also understand that perfect, robotic consistency in moderators is impossible. But come on. I think abunai's approach was the right one: issuing a warning as opposed to jumping immediately to the delete button.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

(Is it possible the moderator who deleted my post is from rural Kentucky?)
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a matter of different moderators having different habits. I try to delete comments as infrequently as possible, unless it is unbelievably crass or offensive, but the others may be different. I wasn't the one who deleted your comment, but perhaps the moderator that did will stop by and explain their reasoning. Maybe it was because the other post just insulted incest while your post insulted Kentuckians as a whole?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
So I guess there's no point in me trying to claim that my comment about the incest anime fan feeling comfortable in rural Kentucky was actually a reference to the gorgeous scenery there and not some cheap hillbilly crack? Very Happy
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So I guess there's no point in me trying to claim that my comment about the incest anime fan feeling comfortable in rural Kentucky was actually a reference to the gorgeous scenery there and not some cheap hillbilly crack? Very Happy

'Fraid not, ya crazy Canuck. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Back when the "Incest Anime" thread in the anime thread was first started, I was the first one to reply to it. In answer to the OP's question of, "Is it becoming a more prominent theme in Anime? What do the rest of you think?" I answered to the effect that I thought he'd probably feel comfortable in rural Kentucky...

...My post was unceremoniously deleted.

By me.

Unlike the other mods, I delete crap/pointless/noncontributory posts on sight, if I catch 'em, that is. I don't spend nearly as much time on these forums as I used to. So if I happen to miss one, I apologize.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I just naturally mellow out in the afternoon, but this issue doesn't seem to be the same example of burning injustice it was when I posted it earlier. I appreciate the moderator feedback.

By the way, Tony K... I don't suppose the K. in your nic stands for Kentucky, does it? Shocked
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Like Cloe, I avoid deletions. I will usually only delete something if it's a spammer or a double/triple/etc. post. If I find something offensive I will usually edit the post to remove their comments and write my own warning in the post so the user, and other users, know why it was moderated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I rarely moderate posts nowadays, unless I stumble across one personally. Unless it's spam, I don't delete the posts, though. I'll just [edit] out the post, or replace it with something stern.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
By the way, Tony K... I don't suppose the K. in your nic stands for Kentucky, does it? Shocked

spoiler[It stands for "Kawk" -- a dirty parody of Tony Hawk, only I don't skateboard...]

spoiler[Just kidding. It's my last name. Look at the Staff Profiles.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a knob asking this but where are the staff profiles? I used the search function and everything, but couldn't find them. I'm particularly interested in getting the 411 on Cloe, 'coz she's obviously crunching on me. Y'all picked up on that, right? Laughing
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I feel like a knob asking this but where are the staff profiles?

At the very bottom of each page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
where are the staff profiles?

Although, it looks like they are pretty out of date.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Although, it looks like they are pretty out of date.

No, just a few of them have not been active for a while. Some of them are not active on the forum but are working behind the curtain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
No, just a few of them have not been active for a while. Some of them are not active on the forum but are working behind the curtain.

And maybe it wouldn't hurt to update the staff page every now and then.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
And maybe it wouldn't hurt to update the staff page every now and then.

I'm afraid to tell you that each staff is responsible for his/her own introductory paragraph unless an administrator removes him/her from the staff list. Some people simply prefer not to disclose too much personal information. Overwriting a paragraph by an administrator, while technically possible, would be a serious intrusion and offense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5