• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Apple Files Opposition to Dept. of Justice Settlement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd be glad if the costs saved between ebooks and paperback was transferred back to artists (as would most readers). But is that happening? Where's the difference going?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh, no doubt about it the difference is going to the pockets of the distributors and publishers. My argument isn't so much against the reduction of costs as a whole since obviously digital distribution would still be cheaper than physical distribution. My argument is against those who argue that it should be reduced to next to nothing just because it is a "text file", even though a text file doesn't create itself and obviously it's not the text file that people are paying for, but the artwork contained within it which is still as labor intensive a process as it ever has been.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/18/apple-records-q4-2011-earnings-of-6-6b-on-28-3b-in-revenue-tops-100-billion-in-sales-for-fiscal-2011/

All there money is in the Hardware anyway. If apple could have it way it would force the prices down to the lowest point possible to push more units of hardware. The issue here is really an infight between the Publishers and the new distributions system, ie Amazon and Apple.

This all goes back to what I said earlier, I pay $40 for technical books all the time. Entertainment can come from a plethora of sources, thus most fiction is 'replaceable'. While technical books hold value in the fact that can help increase people's earnings, and have a limit pool of authors, and thus a limit number of options.

I don't think there is fiction book out there that could increase my earnings by $2-5 an hour, like some of the technical books I have bought have.

Its simple supply and demand, unless people have to have it, they will look else where if they don't like your price point, thus why unless you get lucky being an author will never make you rich.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Your assuming that half the cost or more is the cost of paper and distribution. You're, like most, still ignoring the time and effort and thought that the creating party still had to put in to creating that "text file". The fact that it is a text file is largely irrelevant since it is the creative process and the creative nature of the product that you are buying. A text file itself isn't worth 99 cents, $10 or even 1 cent; it's the content that you're looking at and it is that content that still needs to be paid for.

I'm not assuming anything about the cost of writing, publishing, or the time that goes into making a book. As a consumer, I have no way to measure the work that goes into making a book, and I'm not even going to try to guess. I would end up hopelessly lost. Laughing The only things I can measure is what I can do with the file or book and the enjoyment I get out of it. I can't measure how much I'll enjoy a book before I buy it (and that's purely subjective and will vary vastly anyway), which only leaves me with what I can do with the book. Ebooks are severely handicapped in that respect. I can't loan them to friends, give them away, resell them, or donate them to the library, and I feel the price should reflect that. Why would I spend $8 on an ebook when I could buy the physical book for the same price that I could resell to recoup some of that money, or buy it used for under $1? I would however buy that ebook for $4 purely for the convenience. That is the sole thing that I'm basing the 1/2 price on. It's no where near perfect reasoning, I know, but I feel ebook prices should reflect their handicaps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3