• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gigazine & J-Cast: 2009 Haruhi Will Be 28 Episodes Long

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnet128

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:18 am Reply with quote
Amen to Churuya-san being megas awesome ^____^

Now, as for the speculation about how the second season will end...

I don't know about it ending with the final episode of Disappearance, if it's going to be chronological. Is there really enough material in and before Disappearance to fill another fourteen episodes? All we'd have to cover is Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, Endless Eight, The Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi, and then Disappearance itself.

The first two could each be covered in a single episode, and whilst Sighs was a full-length novel, I doubt they're going to want to dwell on it, since it was probably the weakest and least eventful novel in the series (not to mention the fact that they've already shown the movie itself). I wouldn't advocate spending more than two episodes on it, if that. And even if they spent two episodes on that and managed to pad out one of the other two to two episodes, that's still only five episodes of non-Disappearance material, and Disappearance is not going to take up the remaining nine.

In other words, I think they're sure to at least include some post-Disappearance material. (Besides, if they didn't, there wouldn't really be enough fun "one-shot" style episodes; the series would feel unbalanced compared to the first.)

Personally, I think some kind of variation on the prologue to Intrigues would be a good way to end the series. Obviously not the entire prologue, since it leads into the actual plot of Intrigues, but since it ties up the plot of Disappearance, I think they'd want to include it in some form. And finishing with that would give them space to include Hitomebore Lover, Snow Mountain Syndrome, and Where Did The Cat Go?, which would go a long way towards making the series more complete.

The only negative point I can think of for this arrangement is that Snow Mountain Syndrome might be more suited for the hypothetical third series (since it's the first hint at the plotline that is then developed through Intrigues and Dissociation). So they might not want to include that. But I don't think that's too much of a problem, really.

Of course, I suppose there's always the tiny possibility that they'll really surprise us and manage to fit Intrigues itself in there. Not beyond the bounds of reason: Disappearance could easily fit into four episodes, then one for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, one for Endless Eight, two for Sighs, one for Hitomobore Lover, one for Snow Mountain Syndrome, one for Where Did The Cat Go?, one for Intrigues prologue, one for Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru, and that adds up to a total of twelve, leaving two more episodes free. Intrigues could be compressed into two episodes (...actually, strike that, thinking through it again, it really couldn't), but more space could be made for it by, for instance, compressing the Intrigues prologue and Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru into a single episode, or skipping something (such as Sighs...) entirely.

...But somehow that possibility seems very unlikely Anime hyper

Last edited by cnet128 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:40 am; edited 2 times in total
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote
I'll have to wait for Crispin to get back to the role before I get real excited. But i'll keep reading the light novels to pass the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
isaacphantom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
cnet you just took my idea and made me orgasm with how huge my idea turned into.

god that would be the dream run huh? going abouve and beyond dissapearance.

I totally agreed with your point that they need to show some
post-dissapearance events also. and your idea of adding in Snow Mountain syndrome, where did the cat go? , intrigues, etc.

wow, that would be something extremely lucky and unpossible but if it went down it would be absolutely EPIC.

do you mind typing up the episode order if it played out that way?

Haruhi 28 episodes:
01. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part I
02. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part II
03. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part III
04. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part IV
05. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part V
06. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part VI
07. The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
08. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody part I
09. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody part II
10. Mysterique Sign
11. Endless Eight part I
12. Endless Eight part II
13. Remote Island Syndrome part I
14. Remote Island Syndrome part II
15. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya part I
16. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya part II
17. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya part III
18. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya part IV
19. The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00
20. Live Alive
21. The Day of Sagittarius
22. Someday in the Rain
23. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part I
24. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part II
25. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part III
26. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part IV
27. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part V
28. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya part VI

^^^^^^^^^Like that one only adding the stuff you said? including
Hitomebore Lover, Snow Mountain Syndrome, and Where Did The Cat Go? please.

i just wanna see how it would look. Anime smallmouth you know?
cnet128

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:10 am Reply with quote
...Ah, forget it, I just spent a while trying to work out what would fit into each episode, and I can't make it work. I think I miscounted, anyway, there's one fewer episode than I thought. There's just not enough space to fit everything up to and including Intrigues, not unless you decide to skip Sighs completely or something (and that wouldn't be a great idea, since Sighs is the debut of Shamisen!)

Better to just go up to the Intrigues prologue and stop there. Everything would have to be far too rushed otherwise.

...And then as soon as Tanigawa gets around to releasing the tenth damn book, they can make a third series, covering Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru, Intrigues, Editor-in-Chief, Wandering Shadow, Dissociation, and the tenth book. ~~ I'm not exactly sure how they'd go about converting Editor-in-Chief into anime form, but they can't just skip it, because it introduces the Student Council side of things... And if including all that means that the third series has to be more than fourteen episodes, then make it more than fourteen episodes, because that's what it needs to include, dammit ~~
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
I mean they better not have been sitting on there asses and not doing anything for these past 3 years. If that was the case I would be seriously pissed.

Quote:
Well of course they haven't been sitting on their arses doing nothing for three years... between Haruhi's initial run finishing and now, they've done the Kanon re-make, Lucky Star, Clannad, Clannad After Story and currently K-ON. Possibly more, that's all off the top of my head.

When I said that they better not have been siting on their asses for three year. I meant, they better not have ignored us for the passed three years or worse yet, they still haven't reached a decision and not ever given this matter a good thought. Which would be portrait thought them not making any changes to the new re-airing episodes. The fact that they made new shows, is of no concern to this subject and I'm well aware of what they have and have not done for the past three year.

By the way, it's just a thought but if we watch the re-airing episodes and see the the first few episode are in chronological order, can we assume that this will just be a re-air for the first season in chronological order and that the next 14 episode will just be re-airing the way it did the first time, or do we then have reason to believe that the the chronological order will be followed by new episode.
However, is it safe to assume that if the episodes re-airing right now are going to air in the same fashion and order they did 3 years ago that this will just be a re-air after all or could we have reason to believe that that re-airing the episodes in this order could lead to new episode mixed into this new release?
This is all my speculation but, is there valid reason to believe that there will be no new episodes just because the first 14 episodes are or are not in Chronological order?
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Well I think what is happening to TMOHS is the same thing that happened to Kanon 2002. Which is that they came out with a Kanon 2006 and Kanon 2006 was almost twice the size of Kanon 2002. So this could become The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya 2006 and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya 2009, you never know. Also, the reason the 2006 version of TMOHS is so short is because they were making Kanon 2006 and decided to cut TMOHS short and focus on Kanon 2006.

Quote:
The reason the first season of Haruhi was short was because that's all they had planned. They had no idea that it would actually become as popular as it did <.<

Well I'm pretty sure that when they made Kanon 2002 that that was all they planned to make, heck they even finished the story. However, we have Kanon 2006 which it almost twice the size, which I think is worth mentioning, seeing as to now appropriate it is to this discussion.
Now if we take a look at TMOHS, we can see that there is still a lot to tell and that it would be easy to extend and prolong the plot/story. What I fail to grasp is why people deny TMOHS having the same thing happen to it as Kanon did when TMOHS has more reason to be remade like Kanon was then Kanon itself did. Yet, people deny that there is any relation or possibility of the same thing happening.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
When I said that they better not have been siting on their asses for three year. I meant, they better not have ignored us for the passed three years or worse yet, they still haven't reached a decision and not ever given this matter a good thought.

Ah. It does help if you actually say what you mean.

Rinkwolf wrote:
By the way, it's just a thought but if we watch the re-airing episodes and see the the first few episode are in chronological order, can we assume that this will just be a re-air for the first season in chronological order and that the next 14 episode will just be re-airing the way it did the first time, or do we then have reason to believe that the the chronological order will be followed by new episode.

Just re-airing the entire first series in chronological order then original broadcast order straight afterwards would be a stupid thing to do. Zero point to it.

Current theory is that what's screening now is the series in strict chronological order, so that new content is interleaved with the old content, as the first series did skip over bits of the novels. Currently there's no stronger evidence for this than it simply being the most sensible way to do it.

And... I'm not even going to get into the details of why Kanon and Suzumiya Haruhi are two completely different cases and why Kanon getting re-made really isn't relevant to this discussion on Haruhi.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Sakagami Tomoyo"]
Rinkwolf wrote:
When I said that they better not have been siting on their asses for three year. I meant, they better not have ignored us for the passed three years or worse yet, they still haven't reached a decision and not ever given this matter a good thought.

Quote:
Ah. It does help if you actually say what you mean.

Yeah, that would be partly my fault for not making it clear, yet the context of that statement was directed to another person and wasn't meant to be taken seriously. lol Razz

Rinkwolf wrote:

Quote:
Just re-airing the entire first series in chronological order then original broadcast order straight afterwards would be a stupid thing to do. Zero point to it.

While that may be true, the company that is making the show has recently been unpredictable on the subject of TMOHS. They are practicing a never before used sales pitch and can be over doing it or over using this sales pitch. Which basically mean the they could just attempt to pull of this stunt in order to stall for more time, but I think even they aren't so stupid as to do that. They know full well that fans would be raiding their headquarters demanding new episodes and to stop with the "teasing".

Quote:
And... I'm not even going to get into the details of why Kanon and Suzumiya Haruhi are two completely different cases and why Kanon getting re-made really isn't relevant to this discussion on Haruhi.

I agree, this is some what of a tangent and not so much relevant to the subject as it is just a spark for more arguments. Let's just say I have reason to believe that what happened that happened with Kanon is more suitable for TMOHS and that the there was a remake is what is relevant. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was comparing the too shows and saying that since they are alike the same thing will occur.

Quote:
In other words, I think they're sure to at least include some post-Disappearance material. (Besides, if they didn't, there wouldn't really be enough fun "one-shot" style episodes; the series would feel unbalanced compared to the first.)

cnet128, I really like your specutation on this subject and how you try to piece it all together. However, don't try to hard because only time will tell. But, I do like you reasoning as to how long and when the certain storys will be told in this new release. Just like you I have read all the light novels and mangas and watch the first season numerous time.
Not to start a argument, but I would have to say that the dub in my opinion was better then the sub. Not counting the singing episode that is, you can't really beat the original singer. lol Razz However, what I think I liked the most about the dub was how Crispin Freeman nailed Kyon's personality, tone of speech and role. But, don't start a new argument about how the sub is better. I liked both but just found the dub more enjoyable, that's all I'm saying.

Also, I apologize for appearing on this thread with a know it all attitude, as it may seem to most of you. But, truth be told, I'm just as clueless as to what will happen next as most people at this point and time. I just voice my concerns, that is all. So please don't take my comments personally and as an insult, I just want to find out what is going on. lol Razz
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Let's just say I have reason to believe that what happened that happened with Kanon is more suitable for TMOHS and that the there was a remake is what is relevant.

But it isn't. The way Kanon 2002 was done, the only way to include the content that was left out was to start from scratch and do it all again. The way Suzumiya Haruhi was done, the content that was left out can be done simply by making new episodes, therefore no need for a remake.
cnet128

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Not to start a argument, but I would have to say that the dub in my opinion was better then the sub. Not counting the singing episode that is, you can't really beat the original singer. lol Razz However, what I think I liked the most about the dub was how Crispin Freeman nailed Kyon's personality, tone of speech and role. But, don't start a new argument about how the sub is better. I liked both but just found the dub more enjoyable, that's all I'm saying.

...Are you implying that Tomokazu didn't absolutely nail the Kyon role? Because I would heavily dispute that, myself... The whole Japanese voice cast for Haruhi has always been brilliant.

Then again, I haven't seen the dub. (And don't intend to, either... dubs by and large just don't really interest me, save as a passing curiosity.)
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:37 am Reply with quote
I preferred Haruhi's american voice but Tomokazu was great and so was Crispin (They are both some of my favorite voice actors in their respectve languages though) as was Minori Chihara and Daisuke Ono. I didn't like either of Mikuru's voices so much though but I usually don't mind her english VA so it might just be the character.
cnet128

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I didn't like either of Mikuru's voices so much

...You do realise Gotouza-sama is going to have to smite you for that, right? Wink
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Let's just say I have reason to believe that what happened that happened with Kanon is more suitable for TMOHS and that the there was a remake is what is relevant.

But it isn't. The way Kanon 2002 was done, the only way to include the content that was left out was to start from scratch and do it all again. The way Suzumiya Haruhi was done, the content that was left out can be done simply by making new episodes, therefore no need for a remake.

Oooooooh, So that was what you were trying to say. Well, what I'm saying is that this re-air is like the the what happened to Kanon in terms of episode. Basically, Kanon 2006 was almost twice as long as Kanon 2002 and that this re-air of TMOHS is just like that (being twice as long). lol Razz I said this because people where not too sure that the number 28 is a believable number for episode in a series and I was just explaining why this was a legitimate number. I didn't mean to sture up a argument on the subject and I'm greatful to you for not taking this like a kid and just cussing me out for not knowing what you were saying. Very Happy Sorry for the head ache I may have caused you. lol Razz

Quote:
...Are you implying that Tomokazu didn't absolutely nail the Kyon role? Because I would heavily dispute that, myself... The whole Japanese voice cast for Haruhi has always been brilliant.

Then again, I haven't seen the dub. (And don't intend to, either... dubs by and large just don't really interest me, save as a passing curiosity.)

Oh, by all means, I didn't mean to say that the Japanese Cast was bad. It's just that I found the quality of the English Dub, to approach the quality of the Japanese Dub and that the enlglish dub, (to me, which I've seen both sub and dub and even Russian Dub) was much more satisfying then the Japanese dub. But, that could be because I'm a dub kind of guy. lol Very Happy I highly recommend you watch the english dub, because I think you will not be disappointed by what you see and hear (at least the first episode and then you can decide to watch the rest or not). I just think I understand more when I watch shows in english dub and in most Japanese dubs I can't really tell the tone of most characters voices, So I tend to stick to the english dub, but that's just me. lol Razz Also, this is just a thought but do tell me what you think. I think that the what Bandai did with Kurokami they will do it the second season of TMOHS. In case you didn't know, Kurokami is being aired in both Japanese Dub and English dub. With the English dub airing within 24 hours of the Japanese dub.

Quote:
Quote:
zanarkand princess wrote:
I didn't like either of Mikuru's voices so much

...You do realise Gotouza-sama is going to have to smite you for that, right?

Hahaha. That's a good one. But, lets not loose sight of the subject here. Although, it's my fault for bring it up the subject. BTW, I've been meaning to ask this but what show is you avatar from cnet128.
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Hahaha. That's a good one. But, lets not loose sight of the subject here. Although, it's my fault for bring it up the subject. BTW, I've been meaning to ask this but what show is you avatar from cnet128.
That's Isshin Kurosaki from Bleach o,o

and 28 is generally a strange number of eps for a series. 24-26 is generally more the usual for a full season. I'm pretty sure that the first season of Haruhi was scheduled for only 13 eps at first too, the surprise popularity of the show was why they got a 14th ep. As it were, as much as they're screwing around with us I'd assume that kadokawa and kyoani would be planning for a 26 episode run for the second season if anything.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the first season of Haruhi was scheduled for only 13 eps at first too, the surprise popularity of the show was why they got a 14th ep.

I was under the impression that it was always planned to be 14 episodes. It doesn't strike me as terribly likely that they would have been able to talk their way into getting the timeslot for an extra week on short notice, but getting it when initially negotiating for the timeslot is a bit more likely. Plus, as generally irrelevant to the overall plot and slow-paced as Someday in the Rain was, it never struck me as something that was thrown together on short notice the way the last two episodes of Evangelion were.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6