• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Guardian

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
^I think maaya was just using that as an example of a show that maaya didn't like but is getting good reviews. At least I hope that's what it was... if not then I must also share your question...

Quote:
With that said, I honestly don't understand why Bamboo hates Shuffle so much. What did that show ever do to her? Did it steal her boyfriend? Did it cast her out with a bad haircut and force her to race quads in Florida?

Have you watched Shuffle! at all? If so, then it should really be obvious why it would generate such hatred towards it; merely having to watch it is doing enough to her Razz
But no, I must stop because I really do feel like I rip on that show too much... Rolling Eyes

If more of Moribito is out on the shelves, then I guess my Best Buy just decided to not carry it... off to their website!! Cool
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
yes, Moribito is by far one of the better anime's I have seen in a long, long time. And the book is pretty good too. The production team did a good job adapting it, even if they added a few plot fillers not in the original story. While the book is short, thankfully there are 10 books in the series, so there will be plenty to read (but only one has been translated and released so far Crying or Very sad )

As for Shuflle!, glad I read bamboo's take. Never been a fan of the harem genre, so I'm gonna get to that one later. there's plenty more good anime for me to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

With that said, I honestly don't understand why Bamboo hates Shuffle so much. What did that show ever do to her? Did it steal her boyfriend? Did it cast her out with a bad haircut and force her to race quads in Florida?

Do any of these reviewers actually WATCH the shows they review before shooting their damn mouths? Just because they review anime doesn't make them right.

I'm pretty sure that Bamboo watched Shuffle! because I know that I watched all of Shuffle! and I agreed with every single word of her review. Shuffle! is just plain awful.
Bamboo, I really am starting to feel bad for you, because every time you give a show a bad review, you get accused of being biased, of not watching the shows you review, and then are told that your opinion doesn't matter, because it conflicts with someone elses, and well, you know, the typical song and dance.

Oh, and Libertarian Otaku, just because you liked Shuffle! doesn't make you right.

Maaya - I think Higurashi is a bit different, as the characters were a lot of fun, despite the fact that they were broken. There was something about each character that I really enjoyed - whether it was Rena's obsession with the garbage dump, Rika's spoiler[alternate personality] or Satoko's traps - there were elements to the characters that I found really charming.
The same could be said for the Key series, those girls have something loveable about them.
I couldn't say the same for Shuffle! There was something about each character that I absolutely could not stand, which was the big reason why I didn't like it. Unlikeable characters with a poorly developed story is most likely going to end up being an unwatchable show.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

Bamboo, I really am starting to feel bad for you, because every time you give a show a bad review, you get accused of being biased, of not watching the shows you review, and then are told that your opinion doesn't matter, because it conflicts with someone elses, and well, you know, the typical song and dance.

The ironic part is, I think some posters actually thought your post was serious, and thus one of those bias accusing posts you mention. I at least thought it was fairly clear your post was sarcastic... or I hoped so at leastl. Very Happy

You know, I might actually check out a few episodes of Shuffle, considering it's streaming for free on ANN. It would be interesting to see if I feel the same was as Bamboo.
Warrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:47 am Reply with quote
Bamboo didn't mention gender, but if the moocher is male it's quite simple to make sure you never hear from him again. Two words: "I'm pregnant."

As for the Shelf Obsessed entry mentioning the "underappreciated" Scrappy-Doo, I would appreciate seeing him in Scrappy-Doo Visits Frank Miller's Sin City.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:46 am Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
Added Moribito to my Netflix list, removed D-Grayman. I'm sure Grayman is ok, but they monster of the week deal bores me after a while. And 100 eps is a lot to get through if there's not much plot. >.<

Well i added all of them to my list. Also grayman does have it's flaws like that but it's still fun to watch. I also liked shuffle as well. Sure it does wear thin,but it does make things intresting and unlike the other main guy like in other harem series, (a.k.a Tenchi Masaki,Sena Yamada and even Negi) Rin actually suck up for once and choose a girl instead of juse leading everyone one and that hasn't occured in a harem series since love hina. I'm a big harem fan and i definately recomend this.

Moribito is sure to win this yr for best fantasy series,let alone best anime series.

Too bad it's not that popular and the AS broadcast didn't go well.Probably cause it doesn't have the action pased feeling like bleach or both seasons of code geass,but it's still well done. While it isn't as good as Record of loddos war,scraped princcess and my personal fav, El Hazzard,it's a decen't eneough to add in anyone collection. I'm personally adding this one to my wish list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:

I too have cooled on the D-gray man series after this review. Admittedly, Shonen Jump series are infamous in how long they take to get off the ground.

Shounen? Heck, the old saying was: "it takes shoujo 9-12 eps to get going!" Of course, that was the days when it wasn't unusual for anime to go beyond 26 episodes. Laughing

Quark wrote:

We basically have an open invitation with our friends to raid the fridge and cupboard,

So it's kinda like Seinfeld's fridge? Laughing

Warrick wrote:

As for the Shelf Obsessed entry mentioning the "underappreciated" Scrappy-Doo, I would appreciate seeing him in Scrappy-Doo Visits Frank Miller's Sin City.

Underappreciated?! Try the story how Scrappy-Doo's creators' came about! Laughing

jr0904 wrote:

Too bad it's not that popular and the AS broadcast didn't go well.Probably cause it doesn't have the action pased feeling like bleach or both seasons of code geass,but it's still well done. While it isn't as good as Record of loddos war,scraped princcess and my personal favorite, El Hazzard,

Ah, El Hazard, for its time one of the few where the dub's preferred over the original. Lodoss War's a classic too. Cool
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:52 am Reply with quote
The shelf photos were weak this time.Sad. Though good reviews.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
I can't crack eggs and I'm already in 7th grade... TT-TT.

I can't either, and I'm in my 30s--in fact it's not unusual for me to drop eggs when I'm trying to crack them. I didn't think SHUFFLE was that bad of a show, though at one point I kind of thought it might turn out to be another SCHOOL DAYS, which actually would have been pretty funny in hindsight.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
Altorrin wrote:

I can't either, and I'm in my 30s--in fact it's not unusual for me to drop eggs when I'm trying to crack them.

...Really? I find this so hard to wrap my head around. You just... hold the egg in one hand, then hit it against a hard surface. If you're worried about hitting it too hard, hit it into whatever container you're using, so it'll just explode into there.

It just... all seems so simple... T__T
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
The Human Spider wrote:
Altorrin wrote:

I can't either, and I'm in my 30s--in fact it's not unusual for me to drop eggs when I'm trying to crack them.

...Really? I find this so hard to wrap my head around. You just... hold the egg in one hand, then hit it against a hard surface. If you're worried about hitting it too hard, hit it into whatever container you're using, so it'll just explode into there.

Maybe they just have very unsteady hands or something? Sometimes simple things can be difficult for certain people for various reasons. Riding a bike would seem simple to some, yet here I am, at 22 years old, and NEVER got the hang of it (not that it really matters to me, but other people are surprised if they are told).
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maaya - I think Higurashi is a bit different, as the characters were a lot of fun, despite the fact that they were broken. There was something about each character that I really enjoyed - whether it was Rena's obsession with the garbage dump, Rika's spoiler[spoiler[alternate personality] ]or Satoko's traps - there were elements to the characters that I found really charming.

I wouldn't classify Higurashi as a "harem anime" either. Psycho-thriller murder mystery, yes; harem, not so much. Yeah, it's got the "one guy and a bunch of girls" thing, but that's about where the similarities end.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
As for "Fullmetal Alchemist" (or rather, the first "Fullmetal Alchemist," as I guess it is as of yesterday), I actually like the second half of the series better than the first. Free of the constraints of the manga, they were able to make up their own story and run wild with it, rather than shuffling around events and adding filler. As a huge fan of the manga, I may very well like the new series better (I'm waiting to watch it streamed legally), but that doesn't make the first one any less great.

These echo my sentiments exactly. Get out of my mind, vashfanatic!

For the first half of the first series, I bought the "season" "parts" boxsets, but for the second half, I just waited for the full "second season" boxset. I got it just a couple of weeks before the new FMA started, marathoned, watched the movie again, and was ready for the new series, even though its a reboot.

It's one of the best things in my collection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
The Human Spider wrote:
Altorrin wrote:

I don't have trouble cracking eggs, I just have trouble cooking eggs right. Like I love my eggs over easy. I don't always get it right when I cook them. Either the yolk breaks and runs every where which makes a mess, or I cook it too long and the yolk becomes solid.

I can cook other very difficult things very easily like lasagna or ribs on the grill and other challenging items, but easy things I sometimes don't always do right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Moribito rules! Sorry Adult Swim, you lost your chance to win big with this anime. Next time think twice before dumping a show you assume doesn't attract the viewers.

I'm pretty sure Moribito's abrupt end was for reasons beyond AS' control. I can't remember the full story, but apparently AS got Moribito from Geneon(who owned the license). When Geneon died, Media Blasters picked it up and kept dubbing, but the rights to the original Japanese companies were up in the air, so they couldn't make more until they sorted out the mess.

AS aired Moribito anyways, and even reran it again, hoping in the 20 weeks of premiere+rerun that they could get the rights settled. I'm still hopeful that AS will continue Moribito once the rights get settled. That's one reason people are eager about further volumes of Moribito dub, since the rights issues mean the prospect of new volume releases are slightly nebulous.

So yeah, don't blame AS for this so easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6