• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Licenses Rental Magica TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RauTwilight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
You know sub only would have bothered me but the whole offer of watching it in anime broadcast option or chronological order option just made me not care for a dub. So, sweet Cool
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The Nozomi press release says Japanese audio and English subtitles. The RightStuf listing also indicates only having Japanese audio. You can't get more official than those two sources. There isn't going to be a dub.

I did not see that when I posted, checked TRSI's site and it was not there, did not think to check the news ticker here.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
No, they don't. They are titles that came out some time ago, most of which have had at least one re-release since, and TRSI still has in stock. That doesn't mean they were failures or didn't do well for the companies that produced them.

My Otome and Eureka Seven already in the bargain bin without sets? Speaks of desperation to me.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

*snort*

Yes, well, thank god I wasn't terribly into Rental Magica or I'd be horribly depressed, as usual. I wouldn't exactly consider it a great loss to see Nozomi leave the market, not in the least.

Wow, all the way to page 2 before this showed up!
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Eureka Seven, at least, is about to see a boxed set release (Anime Legends volume 1 in June), so I imagine TSRI is just clearing the shelves of the older releases.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Yeah, I too hate it when that freedom of speech urge leads to complaining. It's sad that everyone doesn't think alike, act alike and never ever disagree. After all, that's the way to achieve world peace! (This message brought to you by The Likeables.) Wink

Meh, I wasn't interested in this series before and I'm sure not buying it now. Given the trends, I'll probably never have to worry about buying a Nozomi title again. I find the whole situation rather depressing though since every time we get a sub-only release, it's just one more series that fans who prefer dubs lose on. It's either buy and not really get what you want or pass and feel like you're missing out on something.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

HitokiriShadow wrote:
No, they don't. They are titles that came out some time ago, most of which have had at least one re-release since, and TRSI still has in stock. That doesn't mean they were failures or didn't do well for the companies that produced them.

My Otome and Eureka Seven already in the bargain bin without sets? Speaks of desperation to me.

As I said, most have had set releases. Apparently E7's first set hasn't actually come out yet, but it has been solicited. But Otome and E7 have been out for a while and have likely sold most of what they are going to sell at regular prices. So now they'll get rid of what's left over. TRSI also gets leftovers from other stores, so what they have isn't just unsold TRSI stock, its from all over the place. TRSI may have, say 2,000 unsold copies of something, but the title may have sold 5,000 copies (total sales, not just TRSI) and more than met the expectations of Bandai/Funi/whoever.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Zac wrote:
Yeah, I too hate it when that freedom of speech urge leads to complaining. It's sad that everyone doesn't think alike, act alike and never ever disagree. After all, that's the way to achieve world peace! (This message brought to you by The Likeables.) Wink

Meh, I wasn't interested in this series before and I'm sure not buying it now. Given the trends, I'll probably never have to worry about buying a Nozomi title again. I find the whole situation rather depressing though since every time we get a sub-only release, it's just one more series that fans who prefer dubs lose on. It's either buy and not really get what you want or pass and feel like you're missing out on something.

Stop being so depressed. The economy makes titles that are weak sellers members of the sub only club. At least the title is being released in R1.

In these times, it's prob better to be more flexible in your viewing habits. When the economy gets better and the company feels safer, dubs may return.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
In these times, it's prob better to be more flexible in your viewing habits. When the economy gets better and the company feels safer, dubs may return.
Yeah that could be said, but these anime companies are still in the business of making money. They do well enough without dubs and they may not feel the need to do them anymore once the economy is better. At least I think that's what a few people complaining about any anime getting a sub-only release are afraid of.

Personally this is another series I haven't heard much of so I can't say I was interested in or looking forward to this title. But being that its another series being managed by Kadokawa I figure it might be worth looking into. Though I hate to say I might be a tad more interested if it gets dubbed. But again it wasn't a series I had much knowledge or interest in, in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Stop being so depressed. The economy makes titles that are weak sellers members of the sub only club. At least the title is being released in R1.
How can the show be a weak seller in R1 if it has never been released in R1? Projected sales are merely guesses and while any license is at least good news to someone, if the release fails to meet my standards it's still a failure to me if no one else.

hikaru004 wrote:
My viewing habits are quite flexible. It's my pay-to-view habits that I hold to minimum standards. I have nothing against watching a show in Japanese with English subs, it's just not my preferred way to watch. I never enjoy the show as much as I do when I can watch it dubbed. (With only one exception so far.)

If I'm going to buy an anime I want the English dub. I used to also require an art box if it were coming out in singles but I finally started to let go of that when Story of Saiunkoku had such a terrible one.

My point is, if I'm going to by something, I expect certain critera to be met otherwise I feel like I'm wasting my money. It's like buying a white shirt when you really wanted a red one. Yes you get a shirt but it's just not quite what you wanted.

I'm just lamenting the lack of English dubbed anime from Nozomi's recent licenses for myself and other fans like me to buy. I'm not saying "evil Nozomi must burn" just "gee, can you remember dub fans have wallets too?"

@ Zac: I expect you to respond eventually so let me add a clarifying comment to my earlier post. I do think SongstressCela should have left out the no great loss bit, though I tend to feel the same way, which is why my remark was meant mostly as a joke, hence the wink. I do believe a one-liner just to complain about complaining is a bit much though.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I can not state this enough.

If there is a dub, that is my default, and there is only one series out that made me switch (Strawberry Marshmallow), due to the English translation jokes working 20x better on the sub track.

That said, most of my most cherished series recently are sub only, Maria Watches Over Us, Aria, Simoun, Kashimashi, and Emma. Would a dub have made them better?

I do not know, but I know that what I got was top notch entertainment in decent to great packages for a great price.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
I never watched it except episode one when it came out. Seemed fairly generic and too tame for me, so I didn't continue. Good for Rightstuf, I want to see them releasing more stuff, hopefully in boxes only. Dub is optional, but this was a fairly popular series IIRC, so a dub might seem like a good idea.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Sub-only?

Why, RightStuf? Do you WANT to push people away? Do you somehow think that certain shows are too good for us dub fans? Evil or Very Mad

Sorry, but if there's no English audio track, I'm not buying!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
It's as simple as that. I'm not paying for what is essentially a fansub with a fancy menu.
What, subtitles that are professionally translated and approved by the producers, in no-nonsense styles that try to be readable instead of artistic* mean nothing to you? Not to mention DVD-quality video instead of TV-rips? (Might include uncensored or redrawn animation as well.) At least for this series, I'm not seeing any complete fansub releases at resolutions beyond 704x400, so 853x480 on DVD is better to start with. What about DVD extras, which look to be plentiful on this release? You can't download a booklet.

With all the "sub-only DVDs don't offer anything beyond what fansubs give me" talk, you'd think that the companies were just strolling down to the nearest torrent site, downloading the fansub versions, and burning them to disc. Although I imagine that would make some happy.

So how is Rental Magica, anyway? Most of what I've heard points to it being rather meh-diocre.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
Why don't you write emails into any one of the feedback forums to Rightstuf and say politely "I like what you're doing but I really prefer dubs."

Saying "I'm never buying your DVDs because you don't provide dubs" is not going to make them listen to you. You just admitted you will not be their customer.

It's not that a show is too good for the dub audience... Quite the opposite, actually.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
poehitman wrote:
It's as simple as that. I'm not paying for what is essentially a fansub with a fancy menu.
What, subtitles that are professionally translated and approved by the producers, in no-nonsense styles that try to be readable instead of artistic* mean nothing to you? Not to mention DVD-quality video instead of TV-rips?

Yeah, not to mention one's theft and the other isn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7