• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-ON! Theme Songs Rank #2, #4 on Oricon Weekly Chart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Hoping this results in more music related to the show. So far so good. Does anyone other than me see it as a good chance to make a truck load of money just releasing album after album? If the quality were consistent I know I'd be interested.

Wonder how (if/when) they will handle the dubbing.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen K-ON!. Some licensor over here needs to help me with that.

I'm kind of surprised; I think that the animation in the ED is just about the most beautiful and fantastic thing that I've ever seen Kyoto Animation produce, but while the songs are catchy they didn't strike me as fantabulous apart from the animation.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I definitely like both the OP and ED songs for K-ON, as well as the series so far. This is the only song that I have heard lately that is even making me think about switching my ringtone from Motteke! Sailor Fuku!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I really, really hope that Bandai includes either a proper soundtrack album or both the opening and closing CD singles with the volume 1 box when they (almost) inevitably license it.

I doubt they'll do limited edition versions plus CD singles for each individual volume after cancelling doing that for Lucky Star volume 6, and I want both the opening and closing songs on CD without having to buy an expensive import CD.

It would be a damn shame if Bandai didn't include any CD's with the North American release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
It was #1 on over the weekend Sad I wonder what happened?
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised, the song is very good.
Omifizzle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
This show is great, anyone who loved lucky star, watch this!
Some Guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
I would say if you like Azumanga Daioh as well this would be worth checking out. From what I have seen thus far the show isnt particularly deep, but then that is just what can make a show like this appealing sometimes.

This show make me want to pull my Fender bass back out of the closet it has been sitting in for the last 6 months.
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
I like the ED more than the OP. The OP is just too cutesy for my taste Anime smile + sweatdrop but it's not a bad song Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nermal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
I also like the ED better; it's catchy and I really like thier outifits...very cute. The OP is a little too sweet for my taste.
Seca

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:26 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
It was #1 on over the weekend Sad I wonder what happened?

The Oricon chart goes from Monday through Sunday with new singles getting released on Wednesday (though pre-order numbers are counted for Tuesday sales). Before the weekend the Korean group, Tohoshinki, who sold about as much on their first day as Don't Say "Lazy" sold for the entire week.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
Omifizzle wrote:
This show is great, anyone who loved lucky star, watch this!

No offense or anything, but this show is nothing like Lucky Star. Lucky Star only had one fanservice scene while this K-ON is filled is fanservice and ecchiness. Also, Lucky Star wasn't completely about moe, unlike K-ON.
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
Hoping this results in more music related to the show. So far so good. Does anyone other than me see it as a good chance to make a truck load of money just releasing album after album? If the quality were consistent I know I'd be interested.

Wonder how (if/when) they will handle the dubbing.

Yes, the long-term possibilities for not only singles/albums by the "band" as a whole but also CDs for each of the four principle members did occur to me. There's also the possibility that the music "campaign" for K-ON! could go the Haruhi route, i.e. give even the minor characters their own respective character CDs; however that might run counter to the rock buzz of this series. But not if last week's teaser spoiler[ about the previous light music club and a possible advisor for the current one ] is any indication.

As for the dubbing...granted this is all speculation, but hey, this is gonna be fun...presuming that Bandai picks this up for domestic distribution (if Haruhi and Lucky Star are any indication--yes I realize that Funi and Sentai (sp?)has also been acquiring KyoAni titles, but they've been primarily the visual novel-inspired works) I would really look forward to the Bang Zoom Studios putting their stamp on this. I can already imagine the English dub in my mind's ear as I watch this series. I'm thinking...

Yui = Michelle Ruff, because of the similar airheadedness to Tsubasa Hiragii,

Tsumugi = the VA for Miyuki from Lucky Star (whose name escapes me, sorry!)...similar "gentle-mannered rich girl" vibe,

Mio = Kari Wahlgren...tone waaay down the tsundere personality of Kagame but keep her tsukkomi (am I spelling that right?) aspect. And I know Kari can do quiet/shy/subdued (think Robin Sena but a bit more assertive when the need arises).

and Ritsu = well let's see, she's exceedingly assertive and brash and energetic...and wouldn't you know it, she has short brown hair AND wears a yellow headband...sound familiar? In other words, how can this _not_ be Wendee Lee?

Yes, a wild but (semi)educated guess. If i'm close, all the more reason to look forward to the dub. Which begs the bigger question...how (if?) Bang Zoom will handle the English translations of the OP and ED.
vedicardi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I like the ED more than the OP. The OP is just too cutesy for my taste Anime smile + sweatdrop but it's not a bad song Razz

You should hear the B-side of the OP single Anime hyper

It is simply rediculous in the "cutesy" area.
Crystal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Ha! I knew that K-On! would be popular! I was right about Toradora, and I'm right about this!

I think "Don't say lazy" is an awesome song, so I'm glad.

I notice nagato316's VA choices are the same as the 4 Lucky Star girls . . . I don't think that's necessary, since the 4 originals aren't the same.

I think it would be AWESOME if Bandai picked it up, 'cause it seems like almost all dubs nowadays are Texas-based ones (like FUNimation and ADV) rather than California-based ones (like Bandai). Kari Wahlgren would be AWESOME as well!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3