• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm new here... is the ANN Book Club still an activity?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvanUnisil

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
I've been using the search engine to find series that I'm watching and read the discussions that people have been having on them and I stumbled upon the Texhnolyze ANN Book Club thread and thought it was a really cool idea. So I'm wondering if the ANN Book Club is still around, and if not, would anyone be interested in giving it another try?

I'd love to watch a series at the same time as a group of people as opposed to reading a two year old thread and adding to a dead discussion Razz If the BC was stopped for a reason I apologize, I've tried searching for a thread about why it's no longer ongoing but I can't seem to find it...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
I believe the book club threads died out through a lapse in commitment on the part of the involved posters.

This happens, sometimes -- even with worthwhile projects such as these threads. The threads may be going strong, then several of the most active posters become busy with everyday affairs, and the thread dies for lack of frequent enough posts to keep it "alive" (= on the front page of the forum).

I think I speak for all the moderation staff when I say that we thought the book club threads were extremely entertaining and interesting, and we would love to see the idea revived.

For reference, here's a list of the Book Club threads:

ANN Book Club -- Haibane Renmei.

ANN Book Club -- Kino's Journey.

ANN Book Club -- Paranoia Agent.

ANN Book Club -- Serial Experiments Lain.

ANN Book Club: Texhnolyze.

ANN Book Club -- Wolf's Rain.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to ANN EvanUnisil.

EvanUnisil wrote:
So I'm wondering if the ANN Book Club is still around, and if not, would anyone be interested in giving it another try?

It may not be active at this specific moment but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the original participants are still around in one capacity or another. My first criteria for joining in with new series would be having them on Netflix or otherwise easily accessible through legitimate streaming. Series that require blind purchases would be a much tougher sell for me and I don't mess with P2P out of respect for the medium. My second criteria would be a title with an interesting plot that can provide substantial fodder for discussion. Of the titles Abunai listed, I enjoyed Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey, and Paranoia Agent. Serial Experiments Lain was boring to me though and I never saw Texhnolyze or Wolf's Rain.

EvanUnisil wrote:
If the BC was stopped for a reason I apologize, I've tried searching for a thread about why it's no longer ongoing but I can't seem to find it...

As Abunai said, I don't think there is any one reason. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about the threads. Personally I wish I had been more active in those threads so if the format came back I think there's a good chance I'd join-in when the title interested me. I say give it a shot and see what happens.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
AromaticGrass and I started the idea in different capacities, but couldn't keep it going, basically for the reasons abunai stated. It was a lot of fun and there were a lot of people who added great insight to the shows, but usually by the end of a series' run, the especially talkative ones keeping a thread going became occupied with something else and had to clep out. The biggest problem was, as I later found out, while many people read the threads, few contributed. So I got a little bummed by not having enough participation to keep one going and then receiving a bunch of PMs asking if I would do more or finish the others. Rolling Eyes

That being said, I do suggest looking at the pages and pages for the series we did go into. There's some interesting stuff there and I think you'll find more info on understanding Lain, Texhnolyze, Haibane Renmei and Wolf's Rain there than anywhere else on the net, possibly. Kino's Journey also had some interesting discussion headway, while Paranoia Agent never quite got off the ground, but if there was a groundswell of support, I'd be happy to finish it.

Oh, and this one is important! It wasn't part of me and AG's Book Club plan, but Tony K. did an in-depth exploration of Mushi-Shi that's pretty incredible. I'd add it.

ANN Book Club -- Mushi-Shi
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
There may be some changes we can make to help promote more participation in the future. Perhaps we could speed up the review rate and/or comment on an individual episode every day or two? It seems like a lot of folks marathon through a series here in the era of thin-packs and on-demand programming. Maybe the first post would be a request for people to sign-up for reviewing so that they feel more involved in the process? I've never joined a book club before, but I assume you sign up and then you're expected to show up and give your thoughts, even if you end up disliking the book. Asking for people to sign-on to see it through to the end might help keep them active. Or maybe starting out with a couple feature-length movies that only take a single viewing to watch would help get the ball rolling. These are just a few ideas that popped into my head and maybe none of them would have helped, but it seems with all the interest that the book club threads generated there might be a few simple changes that would help keep them humming smoothly on their own.
EvanUnisil

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Great, thanks a lot for all the links abunai.

I'm glad all it takes is motivation to get it started again, I think it could be fun. I'm going to read over the previous book clubs (as I've seen half of the shows already) to get the feel of how it was setup. I like daxomni's idea of having a sign up for it. We should see if we can get different users to start the discussion after each daily/weekly schedule to try and encourage more people to get involved.

Thanks for all the information guys, as soon as I'm done getting the feel for the Book Club I'll post a sign up and suggestions thread. Sound good?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm always in favour of people doing some community work by running threads like these, and we can always use another active and motivated user.

In any case, I find it refreshing to have a new user who can write in clean, clear English. Lately, it seems like every other new user has been one of the "lolspeek" crowd....

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I'm always in favour of people doing some community work by running threads like these, and we can always use another active and motivated user.

In any case, I find it refreshing to have a new user who can write in clean, clear English. Lately, it seems like every other new user has been one of the "lolspeek" crowd....

- abunai

Seconded! It would be fabulous if you'd take that on! I gotta warn you, it's more work than it sounds like, but it would be super-cool to get the book club running again under new management! I'd be happy to help if you need any ideas or assistance! I also agree that dax's idea is a good one, with the exception that having a sign up sheet might make it feel exclusive, so you'd just have to make it clear that everyone can participate, but a few people should be responsible for coming up with discussion-starters for a specific episode or whatever.

All the same, I would really love to paricipate in a Book Club thread I'm not...actually running...hee hee... [/lazy mooch]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

- abunai

Agreed. And it seems those type of new members usually only last a day or two before they go back to 4chan or something. It is rather refreashing not having to read improper or "lol" from a new member for once.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1