• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf, Viki License The Rose of Versailles Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I've heard many good things about this anime along with the Ikeda rumors but i've never watched it so i'll check it out on Viki first before deciding if it's worth buying or not.

Gotta hand it to Nozomi for picking up something as big as this and hope that it does well enough so they can get more unexpected classic titles in the future.

mdo7 wrote:
...now I wonder if Right Stuf (or Discotek) could maybe get these old school anime:

-Candy Candy
-GeGeGe no Kitaro
-Tiger Mask
-Hana no Ko Lunlun
-Attack No.1

I like more old school anime to come to US for our fans to watch.

In regards to the bolded, if you're going to ask for pro wrestling anime then how about i join in and ask for the following.

-Jushin Liger (Bio Armor Ryger) - Not wrestling but a super robot anime from Go Nagai that aired in the late 80s and like with Tiger Mask, It was where New Japan Pro Wrestling got the Jushin "Thunder" Liger gimmick from and the wrestler himself is a worldwide legend who still wrestles to this day.

-Kinnikuman - With the past popularity of Ultimate Muscle by 4Kids (in one of their few good dubs that was so popular that Toei made a second season exclusively for English markets at the time), this series should at least be considered and they can start with Muscle first to test the waters especially since the anime never got a full video release here.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

Almost every shoujo anime and manga owes some kind of debt to Rose of Versailles. Utena obviously was playing off Rose of Versailles cosmetically (and the Be Papas have openly admitted as such since its inception), but the two shows are quite different overall.

Ikuhara continued the tradition too in Mawaru Penguin drum. I crack up every time I see the little paper cutouts pop up. Ikuhara has always been obvious with it, but once you see Rose of Versailles, you start seeing it EVERYWHERE in shoujo, and even some shonen anime/manga.

And people who claim it's just good, and that it's sort of blown out of proportion, I don't think you watched the same show. If you aren't crying your eyes out by the final episode, you either fell asleep at some point, or just weren't paying attention or you are lacking the physical ability to cry.

I grew up with Sailor Moon, so I'm sentimental for the show and all, but I CANNOT marathon that show. The animation is way too painful. Rose of Versailles's animation is even worse. Yet the story and the characters are amazing so much to the point you stop noticing a few episodes in.

Rose of Versailles started out as a curiosity where I just popped it in one day to see how much Utena got design-wise from it, and I laughed at the animation for the first episode or so, but then at some point you stop noticing the old cheap animation and are just hooked to the story. Next thing I know two days later I'm crying in front of my tv over an old Japanese cartoon that is older than me and about the French Revolution of all things. Now I marathon a good portion of the show ever year or so and is the only thing that has made me feel sympathetic to Marie Antoinette even though it's completely historical fiction.

Now that I think about it it's probably because of Rose of Versailles I watch anything that features Marie Antoinette. Heck I only wanted to go see Versailles when I visited Paris because of this show. Rose of Versailles does strange things to some girls. Really strange things. And I'm surprised (maybe I missed it) that no one has mentioned that this show is claimed to be the main originator of Yuri romance. Sure Oscar and Marie Antoinette never kiss or anything like that, but you can see the influence on girl romance from then on, and re-watching Utena after watching Rose of Versailles gives you a whole new appreciation of the Utena. If you own Utena, you are going to buy this.

It was mentioned that it was hugely popular in France and Japan, but a lot of people don't realize it was popular most of the world over. The US is just one of the few countries that didn't get it (who wants to watch a cartoon about girls during the French Revolution when you have Voltron?) Not only did it get a German and Italian dub, but it was also dubbed in Arabic.

This is going to be a gem in a lot of anime collections. I was planning on importing the French dub anyway, but I'll wait to see if I don't have to double dip now to get it. Because yes, after you first watch Lady Oscar in Japanese, when it's over you want to watch it all over again in French next time.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Holy CRAP! Can't believe this seriously.

What. Can Right Stuf get any more damn awesome? (Only if they licensed Oniisama E... too.)

>_> Please?
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I hope this does well enough for Rightstuf and Discotek to go back and grab up other older series. Future Boy Conan, Queen Millennia, Daitarn 3, Zambot 3, Danguard Ace, Aim for the Ace, possibly the Pierrot Mahou Shoujos if Madoka remains popular – those would all be nice acquisitions, but they're all nowhere near as popular as Rose of Versailles, Harlock, or GE999.

I've got three words for you: World Masterpiece Theater.

mdo7 wrote:

Not in a million years. Lawsuits and licensing issues mean even Japan doesn't have a DVD release of the series. No reprints of the manga either.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Rose of Versailles's animation is even worse.

The animation may be poor (although decent for its age), but the artwork is absolutely gorgeous.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
I want Nozomi to get Goldfish Warning! next Smile
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

Akazukin Chacha first! Razz
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I've got three words for you: World Masterpiece Theater.

Depends on which one, some series have stuck around a lot longer than others. Though in the west those would be a tough sell to anime fans, their time to shine would have been as PBS runs in the 90s or something.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
Wait, Viki is currently streaming Oniisama E!?

Wow. DVDs please? *weeps in corner*

While Im at it, what are generally all the shoujo-y older anime titles licensed in the US?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
And people who claim it's just good, and that it's sort of blown out of proportion, I don't think you watched the same show. If you aren't crying your eyes out by the final episode, you either fell asleep at some point, or just weren't paying attention or you are lacking the physical ability to cry.

See, it is insulting comments like this that I suspect will push a lot of younger fans to resent how this show is being overhyped.

Rose of Versailles is a good show, with a good ending. But please do not pretend it is something it's not. While you're at it, please refrain from insulting those people who didn't cry.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure they didn't insult anyone in that post.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

Akazukin Chacha first! Razz

Nozomi: for all your shoujo needs

They can make a killing off of old shows like these.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Pretty sure they didn't insult anyone in that post.

So what, insinuating that people don't have working tear ducts, or dismissing people's opinions by incorrectly stating that they weren't paying attention, aren't considered insults in you book?

Whatever you say, mate.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

See, it is insulting comments like this that I suspect will push a lot of younger fans to resent how this show is being overhyped.

Rose of Versailles is a good show, with a good ending. But please do not pretend it is something it's not. While you're at it, please refrain from insulting those people who didn't cry.

I take littlegreenwolfs post as a challenge. I shall not cry come next year!
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Personally I can't cry because I'm dead inside. I feel certain that I can win that challenge.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11