• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece's Newest Episode Leaked Before Japan's Debut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:

Except it's more likely that absolutely nothing will happen to the uploader, as it's pretty much impossible to determine who exactly is the uploader. It could be absolutely anyone from any part of the world. He'll most likely get out of this completely unharmed, just like every other anime uploader ever (besides a few unlucky Japanese persons).

Now, I'll admit freely that when it comes to IT, I'm woefully uninformed. So I'll ask a question thats been popping up in my head lately.

I understand that the chances of prosectuing someone out of the is quite remote, but does the internet offer complete and utter anonymity, or does the existing paper trail (which does exist, that much I am sure of) provide enough info for people to be tracked down? (proxys aside)
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
existing paper trail (which does exist, that much I am sure of) provide enough info for people to be tracked down? (proxys aside)

One company can't do it alone. It's going to take extensive resources to track the inbound IP address (proxy or not) to the original ISP.

A company simply can't ask for this info and get it. Generally, court orders are required to obtain it. To bypass this, some will enlist the help of the FBI, such as was the case in the GNR album release.

Not sure why the FBI has jurisdiction in these civil matters, but it's frightening to know that industries have enough pull to get them involved.

At any rate, I'm sure our funds used to purchase DVDs will now be used to go after the offender(s).

A blatant waste of money.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd start importing a lot more Season boxsets of stuff if it went to seeing this git strung up by the balls.

They could advertise it too "procedes from this boxset goes to geting that bastard that ruined fun for you".
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Had I not had owned movie 8 and all 4 box sets I would buy them just so that Funimation could catch the guy (though I did preorder boxset 5 on Amazon and that hadn't been paid for yet so that's a good thing). I would encourage my best friend to buy all the box sets (he already owns the movie) but his dad treats him like a child and doesn't want him buying stuff off the Internet.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

One company can't do it alone. It's going to take extensive resources to track the inbound IP address (proxy or not) to the original ISP.

A company simply can't ask for this info and get it. Generally, court orders are required to obtain it. To bypass this, some will enlist the help of the FBI, such as was the case in the GNR album release.

Not sure why the FBI has jurisdiction in these civil matters, but it's frightening to know that industries have enough pull to get them involved.

I understand that companies simply can't get the info on their own, but I was asking as whether or not such info was even possible to obtain.

As for the FBI getting involved, isn't it their job to be involved in any and all cases that come under their jurisdiction? And doesn't piracy/intellectual property theft do just that?

Quote:
At any rate, I'm sure our funds used to purchase DVDs will now be used to go after the offender(s).

Protecting your interests and seeking compensation for theft are wastes of money?
Daizo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Look, guys, absolutely nothing will happen to the person in question.

For one, copyright infringement with anime happens in huge volumes daily and basically 100% of it happens with no further consequences for anyone. Guess why? Because it's simply not worth it.

For FUNimation to find out who the person in question is, they'd have to get his IP address, and what more, they'd need to have proof of this particular IP address uploading OP403 to even start. He (or them as multiple people released the episode) most likely wouldn't be seeding the torrent(s) anymore, and might have not seeded it with their actual IP to begin with. Even if FUNi would be lucky and see an IP that has both downloaded the file from their server (do note that most likely quite many people downloaded the file and did not distribute it further as the fact that FUNi's files are completely open for anyone to download had been known for a while) as well as seeded the torrent for it, they'd still have to go to court with the ISP of the IP to get a name out of the deal. Sending a DMCA takedown letter would have no real effect and even if it made its way through it still wouldn't tell FUNimation who the owner of the IP at that particular time was.

In short, it would be completely stupid and a total waste of money with absolutely no benefits to try to get anything done to the people who made the torrents for the OP403 that FUNimation leaked. If FUNimation has any brain, they won't even bother trying. Besides, they have a lot more severe problems to deal with at the moment, like their breach of contract with Toei.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
So to use a similar analogy

I have a bowl of candy on my porch, that refills with candy, but each time the candy is different.
Would you guys knock off these silly analogy garbage.Your point about this event can never be compared through/to physical analogies.Do a thousand people stop by your porch every day? Do they? Laughing Just stop.The damage is done,move on.No need to entertain me any longer.Really. Very Happy
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
I'd start importing a lot more Season boxsets of stuff if it went to seeing this git strung up by the balls.

They could advertise it too "procedes from this boxset goes to geting that bastard that ruined fun for you".

I'm all for that Smile
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
LordRedhand wrote:
So to use a similar analogy

I have a bowl of candy on my porch, that refills with candy, but each time the candy is different.
Would you guys knock off these silly analogy garbage.Your point about this event can never be compared through/to physical analogies.Do a thousand people stop by your porch every day? Do they? Laughing Just stop.The damage is done,move on.No need to entertain me any longer.Really. Very Happy

I guess one has never heard of a holiday called Halloween where that happens.....

AS I've been saying I agree with FaytLein that Funimation has already moved forward from this (and who knows the person responsible for Internet Security maybe gone already) But has any one stopped to consider that to repair the relationship with Toei that this person has to be caught or that Toei could seek the person themselves and be making that demand? So yes it is worthwhile to catch this guy and any anime fan should be helping to catch him, not praising or justifying. This kind of behavior should be rejected by the fandom.
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But has any one stopped to consider that to repair the relationship with Toei that this person has to be caught or that Toei could seek the person themselves and be making that demand?

I doubt Toei would be that stupid. Like I said, catching the torrent creators would be basically impossible. Catching them wouldn't make any sense either, since one again, the only one responsible for actually leaking the episode is FUNimation.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:01 am Reply with quote
Why do I have the vague feeling that Daizo is the person who leaked the episode.

No one could possibly be stupid to really think that a person who maliciously leaked the episode could be innocent.
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote
How about you read my posts again. I never claimed that the person in question is innocent, copyright infringement is still copyright infringement, it would be just stupid and futile effort to try catch the people who created the torrents for OP403, in case you don't remember, two torrents were made for the episode.

Also, it'd be impossible for me to leak it as I don't work for FUNimation (if I did, this leak would have never happened). Once again, the people who made the torrents didn't leak anything, they simply illegally redistributed leaked material.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote
That's still leaking it.

My point is that you seem to see the world in black and white. Instead of a bunch of people being at fault, it's got to be one group of people.

The only person blaming just one group of people is you.
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's still leaking it.

No, it's not. Distributing leaked content != leaking it in the first place

Quote:
nstead of a bunch of people being at fault, it's got to be one group of people.

Both groups of people are at fault but for different things, and since you seem to be unable to grasp what these things are, let's make it very simple for you then:

1. FUNimation is at fault for leaking OP403 and breaching their contract with Toei by doing so.
2. The torrent creators are at fault for performing copyright infringement by distributing copyrighted content without the permission of the copyright owner.

FUNimation is not at fault for copyright infringement, they just put the episode up for public distribution too early and breached their contract by doing so.

The torrent creators are not at fault for leaking copyrighted content, as they simply downloaded public content and redistributed it without the permission of the copyright owner.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
FaytLein wrote:
existing paper trail (which does exist, that much I am sure of) provide enough info for people to be tracked down? (proxys aside)

The FBI has jurisdiction because the unauthorized distribution of unreleased copyrighted material is a criminal matter under federal law, not a civil one. This was also true in the Guns and Roses situation.

This is where Daizo will say that it Funimation that commited this crime first, but that is false for two reasons too obvious to bother explaining to anyone who can't immediately perceive them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 35