• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Adds Former CPM Title Darkside Blues

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghostfacekill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
Ghostfacekill wrote:
What??? Why no Revolutionary Girl Utena??? Come on get that one..

CPM's license for Utena ran out a few years ago, so ADV (aka Sentai) cannot buy it from them.

They would have to license it from the Japanese, and it is unlikely that they have the money for that, especially since it was recently remastered.

What about what about funimation they can get it right??Better chance than sental/ADV right??
pakli1988

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
CPM's Maze licensed had expired for a very long time ago, will the other anime companies going to pick up this series in the future?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
wow ADV on a roll now they just need to get Ah! My Goddess fighting wings
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Ghostfacekill wrote:
minamikaze wrote:
Ghostfacekill wrote:
What??? Why no Revolutionary Girl Utena??? Come on get that one..

CPM's license for Utena ran out a few years ago, so ADV (aka Sentai) cannot buy it from them.

They would have to license it from the Japanese, and it is unlikely that they have the money for that, especially since it was recently remastered.

What about what about funimation they can get it right??Better chance than sental/ADV right??

Technically, the rights to Utena in North America are held by Enoki Films. If anyone wants it, Funimation, ADV, Right Stuf, they would have to go through them. With the show airing on Anime Network right now, I find it highly unlikely that Funimation will go after it. It's still possible they could, as well as ADV, Right Stuf, or even Media Blasters. But considering the license has been expired for almost two years now, I imagine there must be some type of hold up that is keeping it out of print. Perhaps many felt the license is too expensive for the age.

And don't forget, just because the show was remastered in Japan, doesn't mean we will get the remastered version if it is relicensed here. We never did get the remastered versions of the Eva movies for instance.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Any news on Patlabor, yet?

While it is out of print, there are still copies of the CPM Patlabor DVDs available for purchase.

http://www.rightstuf.com/ has them all.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to bemoan in a corner that Revolutionary Girl Utena is on the fast track to license limbo much like Sailor Moon. Is this some sort of Ikuhara curse? Can nothing that fantastic man touches stay in North America? Girls over here need their shoujo classics! If you sell it, we will come!
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
GASP! ADV IS ALIVE! Okay I'm glad to know they're back in business. I've been wanting to see "Now and Then" for a while now, after seeing the first two episodes at my local convention. I'm a little perplexed about "Grave" I thought Disney owned that.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

Unless your talking about the OVA that was made in 2007, ADV licensed the second season several years ago. I know Funimation relicensed the series, but the orginal second season has alreadly been licensed by ADV a while back.

What ADV should do is license the second season of Your Under Arrest. The first season was steller and the movie was awesome, so the second season would be awesome to watch in English.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Darkside is pretty good stylistically, though it will never be a big seller and frankly, most people never get it. Which is never a good thing as far as sales go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

Unless your talking about the OVA that was made in 2007, ADV licensed the second season several years ago. I know Funimation relicensed the series, but the orginal second season has alreadly been licensed by ADV a while back.

I think he means the 2007 OVAs. I think OVAs and short movies are kind of a hard sell. We still haven't seen any news about Kino's Journey: the Beautiful World - Byouki no Kuni -For You.

My only guess of a chance at OVAs is if they plan on offering it in a package.. like another ump-teenth reissue of the series where the incentive to buy the new box version is the inclusion of the OVAs.

Quote:
What ADV should do is license the second season of Your Under Arrest. The first season was steller and the movie was awesome, so the second season would be awesome to watch in English.

don't forget, there's also a third season, You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle, and a small OVA series that they did not release
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't ADV hold the license to the Elfen Lied Extra episode?

Good lord throw that in with a rerererelease of the series, and it would get them some cash. I dont begrudge their current strategy, it seems the only path to survival for them now.

Strangely, I just purchased the CPM Darkside Blues via the Rightstuff weekly sale.

I would not mind a Utena or Maze rescue, Maze while kinda creepy in spots, did have a few episodes that were good enough to make me inquire about purchasing. The scene where the Mech runs like a non athletic girl is classic. Other than that, your nonstandard gender switching brother complex mech show.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Darkside Blues was always in my "To Watch" list, but I just never got around to it. Now that it has a new home, perhaps I will finally get around to it.

This gives me a bit more hope for Descendants of Darkness (though Manga has the digital and TV rights) and Lodoss War. Come on ADV....

Actually, I have a theory that Manga lost the TV RIGHTS at the end of 2008, but they have retained the digital rights. Think about it: have you seen a CPM title on Sci Fi so far in 2009? Nope, didn't think so. CPM had almost exclusive reign over the 12 AM timeslot on Ani-Monday from about July 2008 until 2009, and then it was ruled by the likes of Madman (Macross Plus) and Tokyopop (Rave Master).
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

I think he means the 2007 OVAs. I think OVAs and short movies are kind of a hard sell. We still haven't seen any news about Kino's Journey: the Beautiful World - Byouki no Kuni -For You.

My only guess of a chance at OVAs is if they plan on offering it in a package.. like another ump-teenth reissue of the series where the incentive to buy the new box version is the inclusion of the OVAs.

Quote:

don't forget, there's also a third season, You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle, and a small OVA series that they did not release

Well since he didn't mention the OVA title instead, I thought he was talking about the second season. I personally wouldn't mind seeing the OVA licensed by ADV (with the orginal cast though), but I honestly doubt that will happen for a long time. But your right, OVA's aren't easy to sell. For example, Hare and Guu Finale. Its been seven years, yet Funimation still hasn't licensed the title.

I know there is a third season of Your Under Arrest and a OVA, but I'd be content with a second season if it were ever licensed. Because its been several years since the first season was licensed and I worry I may never be able to watch the rest of the series legally and with English audio.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Darkside is pretty good stylistically, though it will never be a big seller and frankly, most people never get it. Which is never a good thing as far as sales go.

Yeah I'd say if you liked the Vampire Hunter D movie (the 80's one) you might like it for the art but the show itself left me confused and wanting my $2 and my day-off spent getting it back.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

Yeah I'd say if you liked the Vampire Hunter D movie (the 80's one) you might like it for the art but the show itself left me confused and wanting my $2 and my day-off spent getting it back.

Actually, even though I rated them the same, I would say Darkside is the superior of the two. I would say that even the story is told better. That is if you can figure out what that story is. Rolling Eyes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2