• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo to Open on 800 U.S. Screens, Blood on at Least 11

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Inquirer has an ad for Blood. Regular screenings (in Metro Manila) start on June 10. Seems to be a tie-in with the broadcast TV airings of Blood+. Good for us, then. Already missed Sukiyaki Western Django and Evangelion 1.0 at last year's Cinemanila 10 filmfest.
sashaisme

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
I'm hoping for Ponyo somewhere in North Carolina. Especially on the east coast of NC. All the anime movies here typically only play in the western part of NC, so I can't go to often.

Thanks, I needed a fellow North Carolinian (I butchered that XPP) to hope for it to open in NC. I live in the mid section of NC.

GAH! I can't believe Blood won't be here! Ah, well, they probably want to see where it is most popular, then release more of it...
BlackFaerie89

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with the points that have been made about the dubbing of the Miyazaki films.

Hollywood has to book the "high end celebrity" to rank in the money and that's how it's going to be whenever they dub a Miyazaki film.

On the other hand, don't be put off who has been cast. Don't judge before you see. In my opinion, all of the Miyazaki dubs have been awesome.

But as a reminder, movies have to make money or the Miyazaki films might not get the 800 theater or more release we sorely want in the future.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
greenwolf: I love Phil Hartman, too, but that's blasphemy. The Japanese voice actor actually sounds like a cat, while casting Phil Hartman makes me think they were trying to cash in on Sabrina, since he has a similar type of voice to the guy who plays the cat on that show.

Frak your blasphemy Gatsu. I don't give a crap if the original voice actor sounded like a cat or not, big whoop. I stated an opinion, and that doesn't mean it's wrong just because you think otherwise. Phil Hartman made Jiji his own and didn't try to copy the Japanese voice actor. Even after seeing the original Japanese version, I still prefer the dub and Phil Hartman.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
GATSU wrote:
greenwolf: I love Phil Hartman, too, but that's blasphemy. The Japanese voice actor actually sounds like a cat, while casting Phil Hartman makes me think they were trying to cash in on Sabrina, since he has a similar type of voice to the guy who plays the cat on that show.

Frak your blasphemy Gatsu. I don't give a crap if the original voice actor sounded like a cat or not, big whoop. I stated an opinion, and that doesn't mean it's wrong just because you think otherwise. Phil Hartman made Jiji his own and didn't try to copy the Japanese voice actor. Even after seeing the original Japanese version, I still prefer the dub and Phil Hartman.

Accusations aside, I feel that what makes the Ghibli dubs is that the actors DON'T try to copy the Japanese VAs. Doing so would actually result in a less-than-smooth and very stilted result. I'd rather have the actors make these characters their own than sacrifice fluency for fealty.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
They must have no hope for Blood to do well. Or they think it's actually crappy.
Pataki0021

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
checked the official website for blood the last vampire, New York and Las Vegas are included as well... YAY!

http://schedule.samuelgoldwynfilms.com/films/blood:+the+last+vampire/

bringing it from 11 to 17 screens... not a lot, but at least vegas is getting love...

fuuma_monou wrote:
Sunday Inquirer has an ad for Blood. Regular screenings (in Metro Manila) start on June 10. Seems to be a tie-in with the broadcast TV airings of Blood+. Good for us, then. Already missed Sukiyaki Western Django and Evangelion 1.0 at last year's Cinemanila 10 filmfest.

Bad news, it's R-13, meaning it's brought to you by MTRCB brand scissors (meaning most of the good stuff is cut off for a lower rating)

joystick1101 wrote:
I don't mean to sound like a random internet "hater" douche but what makes me uncertain about the dub of this movie is who plays the lead roles of Ponyo and Sosuke. I love dubs I'm the kind of person who rather watch anime dubbed but Miley Cyrus's little sister and the other Jonas Brother? Unless they can act better than their siblings... I don't know. This is a Hayao Miyazaki film here, top quality stuff. I like the rest of the cast, TINA FEY, Matt(Jason Bourne) Damon and Liam Neeson oh and everyone else. Anyone else feel good about seeing this to support the anime industry but crummy about giving Disney(the evil empire) more money when they pay for anime they license aka just Ghibli movies.

To be fair, Frankie Jonas and Noah Cyrus play Sosuke and Ponyo, little children, and Frankie and Noah are INDEED, little children...
so in a way the casting makes sorta sense...
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Pataki0021 wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

Bad news, it's R-13, meaning it's brought to you by MTRCB brand scissors (meaning most of the good stuff is cut off for a lower rating)

I think it has to do with SM Cinemas refusing to show R-18 movies. Same reason why Watchmen didn't show at the SM Mall of Asia IMAX (we don't have the gear to edit IMAX movies down to R-13 like the 35mm print).

Was a bit surprised to find that The Last Temptation of Christ is out on local DVD (rated R), given that the MTRCB gave it the X rating way back when. Guess it helps that Manuel Morato isn't in charge anymore. So in all likelihood the DVD will be uncut if one of the local companies picks it up.
Pataki0021

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Pataki0021 wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

I think it has to do with SM Cinemas refusing to show R-18 movies. Same reason why Watchmen didn't show at the SM Mall of Asia IMAX (we don't have the gear to edit IMAX movies down to R-13 like the 35mm print).

Was a bit surprised to find that The Last Temptation of Christ is out on local DVD (rated R), given that the MTRCB gave it the X rating way back when. Guess it helps that Manuel Morato isn't in charge anymore. So in all likelihood the DVD will be uncut if one of the local companies picks it up.

The only time that I kinda respect the MTRCB for was for editing the already drawn out sex scene in Watchmen and kept true to the source material as much as possible....

But most of the time especially with what happened to "Drag Me To Hell" in the Philippines (it was supposed to be "For Adults Only" but edited down to get a R-13, which I facepalm'd because its rated PG-13 in the States, where I am at), unfortunately, they're full of conservatives... and FAIL.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3