• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken - Dragonball Capsule Neo with One Piece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
Ha, wow, gold colored ones. Making solid color figures in papercrafts is ridiculous too, a lot of times the .zip files for papercrafts contain a lined texture, a lineless texture, and a fold guide to go along with the lineless texture that are white (or sometimes random solid colored) versions of the pieces. The gold figurines would be like making the fold guide instead of the texture lined or lineless papercrafts, which is just plain silly unless you plan to paint it yourself or something. So yeah, this solid color thing, I think it applies to even papercrafting, why on earth would I ever want a solid white papercraft other than my Jack Frost one (whose hat is still blue).

Where was Krauser? There was so much bad figurines to hug and look out of place with (not that those figures needed any help looking out of place amongst themselves)!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:02 am Reply with quote
Unpainted variant figures are awful. It annoys the hell out of me that companies can get away with A) selling you something inferior under the guise of it being rarer. B) force you to pay for duplicates/useless figures if you want the whole set.

Unfortunately, a lot of anime fans (myself often included) will keep buying them anyway.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
Rob Bricken wrote:
Here's a philosophical question for you guys: is is better to love a big anime with very little merchandise, like Naruto, or an anime like One Piece, which has a ton of merchandise but 95% — as I'm learning — is kind of crap?

Little merchandise. Always. Generally, it's much better quality, especially at what one will spend for it.

I've strayed from gashapon and will never, ever buy it again. What a sucker I was falling for the smaller capsule figures based on the photos assigned.

Seriously, I think they take the 1/8 scale photos and shrink them, because never once has the photos resembled the actual product.

And your article certainly proves things haven't changed.

Those gold figures are the ugliest things I've ever laid eyes on, and you have my deepest sympathy for your disappointment.

I'm curious, Rob, but do you know anything about the companies who makes figures you're buying, other that they're in Japan?

danielmer wrote:
why is he complaining that he got two rare gold figures in one box, that is pretty cool.

I don't think these are rare, as they look like unfinished products. I'm curious now to know if the painted figures, scraped, would reveal a "gold" base.
I'd complain as well. Those things are Fugly!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
danielmer wrote:
why is he complaining that he got two rare gold figures in one box, that is pretty cool.

I don't think these are rare, as they look like unfinished products. I'm curious now to know if the painted figures, scraped, would reveal a "gold" base.
I'd complain as well. Those things are Fugly!

No, they're definitely rare...in the same what that the black plague is rare these days. That doesn't mean it don't still suck when you get either though. Wink

I doubt the base is gold though. They likely have a more plain base but then throw a cheap coat of gold paint on.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
Good lord those are ugly as hell.

Especially the Krillin and Robin one where their not even aware of each other.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I doubt the base is gold though. They likely have a more plain base but then throw a cheap coat of gold paint on.

I don't think they're gold either, but if they are... well... so much for "rare".

I say this because those "gold" figures have a gold base (the actual platform they're standing on), which leads me to believe these aren't rare at all. If the base had been another color, it would be a tad different.

The sad thing is these can't be melted down into bars to resell but they do deserve to be melted.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
To answer the question I'd actually have to be "in" ti a bigger series and pay attention to the other releases (like Case Closed is my biggest) but normally the series I like don't have an overdose of merchandising (like Paranoia Agent, I think it has some Maromi stuff but the series does instill a fear of small pink dog mascots, so I'd probably wouldn't be able to purchase it.)

But for me I guess I've dealt with this problem before in the terms of getting a "chase" figure, but it was for a Collectible Miniature Game or otherwise known as the "clix" series of games. Got a figure that was glow-in-the dark that at the time of purchase was worth about $125 from the trade magazine. Seeing as how the rules of the game have changed and is no longer made, I can't be so sure of the value now (whether for good or bad) but the company that made the series only did it once and decided to add better "chase" figures instead.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
You neglected a couple of things in your article, Rob:

1. Why is Gohan crying over Zoro's sheer superiority?
2. What is Goku pointing at?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Either you, Rob, or your column (longshot ANN?) have incurred the ire of the gods of gashapon.
Perhaps it is just the lesser god of One Piece you've pissed off or maybe DBZ's gashapon godling. An offering appears to be in order or you might have to resign yourself to abandoning all One Piece gashapon.

The scale looked off on all those guys--almost like they just paired up figures made for other lots of dolls.
Even if one argued an attempt for similar ranking, Luffy/Goku works, but Gohan/Zorro is wrong. At least in the US Vegeta is way more popular than Gohan last I saw any polls (though it has been awhile) I'd think Gohan & Chopper or Krillin & Chopper.

Thank god the Kuroshitsuji blind box was a better deal. I didn't get Ciel, but I got only 1 double out of 5 & that was the psychoboy my daughter likes so I can pass him off to her.
dabura16

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the Roshi/Nami set, Roshi is making the "paffu paffu" gesture at Nami, hence the nose bleed, and Nami is immitating it back at him egging him on, much like Buluma (actually Oolong in disguise) does in the early episodes of Dragonball. Though as to why that would actually be in character for Nami is beyond me, her pummeling the crap out of Roshi would have been more appropriate.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
So ANN is now mentioning new Views in the News?
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't understand this paring either, no do I

You're missing an "i" in pairing. :/ I'm sure you just didn't catch it. C:

I think the gold ones look way better than the colored ones, but that's just me. I can see how it'd be annoying to expect vibrant colors and get a mini plastic trophy lookalike.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Sogeking on cutesy dragon = awesome

Wow man, you really got pissed off writing this article huh?
Fireline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Chopper asked for Piccolo's autograph, obviously.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Fireline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Chopper asked for Piccolo's autograph, obviously.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3