• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Burn After Playing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote
-sigh- All the complaints about Twilight Princess are essentially saying "It's a Zelda game!". Uh, SO WHAT??????? It was beautifully designed and pretty much kicked its predecessors right in the teeth in terms of quality; I would go as far to say that it was even better than OoT (take THAT nostalgia!). All the complaints I've heard about TP (even from journalists) are crap; even OoT was pretty much just all the other Zeldas but with a third dimension.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Did you ever get into cell shading? It's got to be the most insane tool to work with,and look how well nintendo did with WW.

Super under appreciated.

I admit I cringed when I looked at the first screens of WW after the graphical upgrade. I wondered if I will be able to play through the game because of that, and man how wrong I was back then.

The cell shading quickly grew on me. Even watching the smoke that appears after an enemy is killed was a visual feast. The game was absolutely gorgeous no matter where Link ended up in.

Even if people did not like the cell shading, I think they should applaud Nintendo for having the guts to try something new, even if it ended up alienating a lot of faithful fans. That's why I ended up appreciating games such as FFVIII and MGS2 despite what many people say about them.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:08 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I admit I cringed when I looked at the first screens of WW after the graphical upgrade. I wondered if I will be able to play through the game because of that, and man how wrong I was back then.

The cell shading quickly grew on me. Even watching the smoke that appears after an enemy is killed was a visual feast. The game was absolutely gorgeous no matter where Link ended up in.

Even if people did not like the cell shading, I think they should applaud Nintendo for having the guts to try something new, even if it ended up alienating a lot of faithful fans. That's why I ended up appreciating games such as FFVIII and MGS2 despite what many people say about them.
I'm an art freak,as so as you said,WW was a visual feast.I still love every minute of it.Though if you think about it,people were,at that point in time,really ready for something like TP.I think nintendo is alternating between the two styles.Which is a very good thing.Especially if we can get more of the cell shading style on the big consoles.

On your other note about Metal Gear Solid 2 and FF8,MGS2 was always a pleasure to play,sure it alienated the fans who only wanted to play specifically as snake,but screw'em.Kojima had bigger things in mind.(not really though,he was supposed to quit after Solid 2) If anything,he made the story much more entertaining by adding girly boy Raiden. Laughing

Here is a little story about FF8:FF8 was one of those games that came out after the Sony/FFVII boom,and thus since FF7 had caught on to the mainstream (for the first time really) FF8 was knocked by the way side. I gotta admit,I'm a Final Fantasy freak.I've followed all of them at that point in time,up to part eight and to me FF8 just sucked.Not because it wasn't like the grand finale FF6 or noob favorite FF7,the game was just flat out terrible to me.

First time I bought it,I played about two hours of the first disc,went back and returned it.A year went by and I'd see that screenshots kept popping up in PSX magizine.(coupling it with the pocketstation)Meh...whatever,I'll try it agian.Second time I got maybe four hours into it,went back and traded it in.Eventually FF9 came out and I bought it but it just didn't feel right to skip over a title."Damn,FF8 is cheap now","I'll just go buy it and run through it real quick.Nope,turned it on and started to replay it but it held no interest at all.None.

Years went by (PS2 had finally come out),FF9 was completed and FF10 had come and gone but I still felt that I was missing FF8.So in early 2003 I went and bought a brand new PSX,a mem card and FF8 and this time I just sat down,shut up and played thought it.I couldn't believe what I was playing.(seriously) How did I hate this game for so long? I just couldn't believe it. The game was intense,it made me teary eyed a couple of times,the story,the gameplay,all of it was a blast to play.Due to my past ignorance,I fully appreciate that game now and won't do that again. Very Happy
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
The main reason it was a disappointment for me was that the game was almost completely made of recycled parts, with precious little new. Unlike MM and WW, that managed stand on their own, Twilight Princess in many ways just felt like a rehash of Ocarina of Time.

Yeah, maybe that's it. I find it tough to put my finger on where TP was lacking. I mean I really liked it still but it just sort of felt a bit mediocre by Zelda standards. I generally rank the other games based on the assumption that they're all absolutely brilliant but then factor in some minor flaws in a few of them.

For example OoT is pretty much flawless which makes it my all time favorite. Wind Waker is a close second. Really a great great game. The graphics are so neat. Really captures the spirit of an 'adventure game'. The sailing can be boring at times though. However it's not the end of the world as long as you sail wisely and plan to save yourself time and trips. It's a bit short too.

After that I'd probably go with Majora's mask which was really quite brilliant too but vastly too short. The time concept was great but there were some minor annoyances such as losing all your minor items when you go back. Also it would have been nice if more of the masks actually did something.

Finally though there's Twilight Princess. It's by no means bad and I can't really say I found any flaws like the others. However it just doesn't quite attain that same level of initial brilliance the others do. One of the greatest strengths of the series is that it almost always mixes things up with each sequel. There is some new concept that plays a major part in the gameplay. TP had that but didn't really use it all that frequently. Because of that I think I'd have to classify it (by a small margin) as my least favorite.

sfried wrote:
People who are having trouble with it are those who didn't know spoiler[REVERSE SONG OF TIME! What idiots!].

Quote:
I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass! What are you talking about?
What happened to the shortcuts? spoiler[You're suppose to use your new fangled tools from other dungeons to find them stupid!].

Congratulations. You've just taken your two legitimate points and ruined them by resorting to needless name-calling. Good work.

AiddonValentine wrote:
-sigh- All the complaints about Twilight Princess are essentially saying "It's a Zelda game!".

Have you actually read this thread. Because that is most definitely not what people have said.
sfried

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Congratulations. You've just taken your two legitimate points and ruined them by resorting to needless name-calling. Good work.
Still doesn't change the fact that Majora's Mask and Phantom Hourglass get much uneeded hate. I thought both games were a break from the usual "Go to dungeon X, then travel to dungeon Y" that have been perfected with games like Link's Awakening, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and more recently Twilight Princess. Yes, it's an effective formula, but even at the time of Wind Waker, it has gotten old. Granted, they had some great ideas too, but I wish they could just do away with the concept of the dungeon being resigned to a particular locked out area. They were going somewhere with Phantom Hourglass and the central dungeon hub, and vying for more time wasn't a hassle as some people would like to moan about (can can just complete parts of the dungeon quicker, segment by segment, rather that try to attempt the whole dungeon run). The same can be said for Majora's Mask and starting from square one: Usually, the key to unlocking the temples is a song, so time traveling back to the First Day does give you a head start, not to mention the apparent paradoxical bank account that you can invest in (and for once, Ruppies are important unlike in Ocarina of Time!). Really, even the loss of items isn't that big a deal since you'd most likely top them off with a few whacks of some bushes. The game forces you to complete a dungeon under 3 days, but it gives you more than enough time to do so (which, again, are not a problem if you read the hints about spoiler[Reverse Song of Time]).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah definitely. Majora's Mask isn't too tough assuming you just take a few steps to maximize your time like you said.

I agree Phantom Hourglass was great though. I find it a little tough to say which of the handheld games I like best but then that's because I really liked them all, Phantom Hourglass included.
Agoston

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh god... "Let's Tap" hahahaha
sfried

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
Oh god... "Let's Tap" hahahaha
Mock the game as much as you want...just not the awesomely insane catchy music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4