• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Busters! + Refrain (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yerld

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Most writers and directors aren't attached to any particular studio. There are some exceptions (i.e. KyoAni's directors, Madhouse's old guard, Gainax's old guard, some IG guys, Shaft's Shinbo who's under contract), but by and large, people can take work anywhere.

Certain studios (KyoAni, ufotable, Gonzo) get involved with script development. Others don't. There's no universal standard on how things are done. The companies that pump out a dozen shows a year are unlikely to have any involvement whatsoever.

In the case of Little Busters, Key and Michiro Shimada (they specifically invited her) worked out the script independently of the animation studio. Last year, Takahiro Baba already confirmed that the story was being modified. I'm not sure what they have planned, but in Baba's words, the solution requires a "compromise between those who know the secrets of the world and those who don't".
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
while the ending of ep 16 of after story and Tomoya's moment with Ushio in the field of flowers certainly made me shed a few manly tears, the only Key anime that has successfully made me cry like a little bitch was the ending of Air. with that in mind, opn's rating of an 11 has me curious as to how this will affect me. That aside, im enjoying the show far and this newest epsode had me laughing a bit.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
I want to talk about Lil' Busters, but since we're discussing Key works that have made me cry...

In Clannad, it wasn't so much spoiler[Ushio's death] that made me cry (or spoiler[anybody's, for that matter], but it was the little subtleties.

I mean, I DID well up at the Sunflower Scene and the train ride home, but what really got to me was a stupid little scene early in the series. I can't remember the episode or context, but Okazaki stops in the road and looks back at his town and makes a comment on how much it's changed. I can't tell you why, and I'm sure some people will find me weird for it, but that moment really hit me and made me really sad.

Anyway, as for Little Busters--I haven't finished the episode yet, but when he was recruiting Anteater-panties in the beginning and she was like 'plants playing baseball', is that some Japanese wordplay I missed out on or am I just a doofus?
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:

Anyway, as for Little Busters--I haven't finished the episode yet, but when he was recruiting Anteater-panties in the beginning and she was like 'plants playing baseball', is that some Japanese wordplay I missed out on or am I just a doofus?

Yep, it is Japanese wordplay. Riki first said Kusa Yakyuu (literal meaning = grass baseball), and so Komari took it as grass playing baseball. The meaning of kusa yakyuu was later explained by Riki himself, that it means they are just playing for fun / amateur baseball.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
ZorgonXtreme wrote:

Yep, it is Japanese wordplay. Riki first said Kusa Yakyuu (literal meaning = grass baseball), and so Komari took it as grass playing baseball. The meaning of kusa yakyuu was later explained by Riki himself, that it means they are just playing for fun / amateur baseball.

.........wow. That explanation just made Komari seem a lot less stupid. Anime hyper

......maybe I need to watch from a different sub group. o_o They didn't even say a word about that!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
The certain happenings of Clannad After Story didn't really affect me because I knew they were coming due to seeing the movie before hand. However events after that didn't affect me either. Or rather, it didn't make me sad, it made me pissed off that they kept throwing all this shit at them and wouldn't just let them be happy, damn it. There's such thing as so much tradgey it gets bloody ridiculous, Key!

I just hope Little Busters doesn't pile on as much...
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The certain happenings of Clannad After Story didn't really affect me because I knew they were coming due to seeing the movie before hand. However events after that didn't affect me either. Or rather, it didn't make me sad, it made me pissed off that they kept throwing all this shit at them and wouldn't just let them be happy, damn it. There's such thing as so much tradgey it gets bloody ridiculous, Key!

I just hope Little Busters doesn't pile on as much...

Yep, that's key alright. It started with happy daily life scene, and suddenly shit happened and ruined everyone's blessed life. That's how key do their job.

Personally, I still prefer Clannad over Little Busters, and IMHO, LB! didn't make me cry bawling like Clannad. Or perhaps my expectation to LB were too high, so I wasn't very impressed at the end. In Clannad, I do think every route is good. In LB, some route are good, and some other else are just too confusing.

I must say that LB is good and worth watching, but don't hold your expectation too high. Especially it's JC staff handling it.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
well damn, after finally catching up on this series I'm liking j.c. staff adapt so far. Hell it's hitting all the right "key notes" for the main story and yes that pun was intended. Hmm i don't have much else to add for the moment aside from "source material spoilers" but that's no fun~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
*disgruntled muttering*

I like J.C. Staff...why can't people just lay off them already?

*mutter mutter*

Quote:
Hell it's hitting all the right "key notes" for the main story and yes that pun was intended.

Nice pun. Chiibi is amused. Anime hyper
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
*disgruntled muttering*

I like J.C. Staff...why can't people just lay off them already?

*mutter mutter*

I know, right? Sure they screw up like any studio but they also put out great stuff too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I like J.C. Staff, they have plenty of shows I like, such as Zero no Tsukaima, Toradora, Dream Eater Merry, Ghost Hunt, and Ookami-san. I am just worried whether they can pull of Key, the stuff that hits you right in the sore spots.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
The only thing J.C. would worry me about is minor animation slip-ups.
But that's a very small thing; as long as the mood is captured well, you probably won't even notice it.

I remember being really disappointed after learning that the Air movie wasn't animated by KyoAni but Toei,.....but it was still plenty capable of making me bawl like a baby.

.......goddamn that ending.

lol
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
The only thing J.C. would worry me about is minor animation slip-ups.
But that's a very small thing; as long as the mood is captured well, you probably won't even notice it.

I remember being really disappointed after learning that the Air movie wasn't animated by KyoAni but Toei,.....but it was still plenty capable of making me bawl like a baby.

.......goddamn that ending.

lol

yeah the ending to both the movie and the TV series got me pretty bad. the movie slightly more so since Yukito was there as well
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
[the movie slightly more so since Yukito was there as well

ajfdaljfldjfldajf DON'T...DON'T REMIND ME....oh gawd, here come the tears!!

DAMMIT!!

*cuddles Misuzu doll* (;へ:)

I H8 U, getchman! (>口<)

(joking) Anime hyper
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
damn, that bad huh?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 32