• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NBC's Tonight Show to Run Skit on Manga Ent. & Bang Zoom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Am I the only one who noticed that this means they're probably dubbing GitS 2.0 now?
Why? The film itself is exactly the same (no new dialogue), just with a colour filter, a blur filter, and some dodgy CG.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
That had to be one of the funniest things dealing with anime I have watched on t.v

the manga! bit was just Anime hyper
halo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
halo wrote:
Am I the only one who noticed that this means they're probably dubbing GitS 2.0 now?
Why? The film itself is exactly the same (no new dialogue), just with a colour filter, a blur filter, and some dodgy CG.

The Japanese voice track was rerecorded and I believe some of it was slightly changed. Also, they probably want to use the Stand Alone Complex dub cast as opposed to the original movie cast, especially after Innocence use the SAC cast.
nagato316

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
Frankly, I'm dismayed that the mainstream media took another opportunity to perpetuate the long-standing stereotypes regarding the otaku community (gratuitous fixation on all things fanservicey) and the domestic anime industry in general (English dubbing is Not the trainwreck that was portrayed last night)...NBC's unwarranted bashing...

*unable to maintain phony elitist air or contain chortling* Laughing

Who am I kidding? That skit ROCKED!! (As Conan always does!) It was ROTFL platinum! Furthermore, Conan and Andy's voice acting was not a trainwreck, it was freaking hilarious! (Never thought I'd hear a "Paul Lynde" voice coming outta Batou!) Nice to see Tony Oliver in the bit, but it would have been nice if they even briefly mentioned that he was Rick Hunter in Robotech. A good percentage of non-otaku still know/remember what Robotech was, so that would have went over well with the studio audience, I'd guess.

Last night's piece makes me wonder two things:

1) What would have happened had they ran into Crispin Freeman, who does a ton of stuff at Bang Zoom! Hell, Crispin would be an awesome interview for Conan.

2) What would Conan and Andy make of the Endless Eight shenanigans? (Or Haruhiism in general?)

braves wrote:
They should definitely use Andy and Conan's voices for the Manga logo.

Without a doubt. I will be sorely disappointed if they don't. I usually hit the Disc Menu button on my remote (if the DVD lets me) as soon as the FBI warning shows up. I would seriously drop the remote knowing I'm gonna hear "MMMAAAAANNNGAAAAAAA!!" Anime hyper
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
Great skit that was, actually made me laugh.

Enough with the censorship though, is this a late-night show or what? o_O
yuricon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
I was a little concerned that anime itself would be the brunt of the joke, but, no - that was a wonderful example of talented comedians doing brilliant comedy. I'll never watch that scene in GitS the same again. lol

Cheers,

Erica
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I just loved the guy trying to explain the plot for "Ghost in the Shell". Was it me or did it sound like he'd only read the back of the DVD box and never actually watch the show. Rolling Eyes
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
It's official: Conan is GOD! Cool
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
That is now my favorite thing ever. Nothing less matches the hilarious awesomeness of that. Way to go Conan!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
That was too hilarious! Anime hyper I may not be a fan of the late night programs and talk shows and stuff, but I absolutely loved that. I really hope that they do something like that again.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
"Shoot the fish!" Laughing

This was hilarious. It'd be awesome if we somehow saw this as an extra on a future GITS DVD release.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I watched it last night I lold especially at the bobble boobs and miniskirt part
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
megumi's guy wrote:
I just loved the guy trying to explain the plot for "Ghost in the Shell". Was it me or did it sound like he'd only read the back of the DVD box and never actually watch the show. Rolling Eyes

He clearly forgot that if a synopsis takes more than one sentence people are going to lose interest. One of the first rules of trying to sell a story idea.

What he should have said was "Cyborg cops fight high-tech crime in futuristic Tokyo." Bam. Done. For comedic effect he could have added "Oh, and one of them is a chick who can turn invisible when she's half-naked."

All in all, that was HILARIOUS. I would love it if Manga entertainment kept the "MANGAAAA!" in all their DVDs from now on.
halo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
megumi's guy wrote:

He clearly forgot that if a synopsis takes more than one sentence people are going to lose interest. One of the first rules of trying to sell a story idea.

I think this was part of the joke and he mucked up the synopsis for more effect.
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
Enough with the censorship though, is this a late-night show or what? o_O

We're from America. We're from America. We're from America. Enough said.

I came upon the skit right as they were dubbing the "fish" scene and thought, "huminahumina, NBC is showing Ghost In The Shell?!!! Did I just die and wake up eight years from now?"

What a treat. I've been watching Conan almost religiously since I was twelve, and when the picture split and I saw Conan and Andy I nearly fell down. That totally made my otherwise horrible day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7