• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Iron Man: Rise of Technovore Feature's 1st Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I don't like Ultimate Spider Man (it is trying to do everything Teen Titans did, and is failing miserably at it) but I would totally be down for a Spidey anime.

Spider-Man's history in animation is admittedly checkered, although not totally horrible. The 60's series was pure cheese, but hey, 60's. Not to mention it gave us that song (All together now, Spider-Man, Spider-Man, does whatever a spider can). The 80's show, both the solo title and Amazing Friends were hit and miss episode to episode, the 90's series was the most overcensored thing ever (thanks Saban!) but still managed to be OK, Unlimited just sucked, the MTV cartoon sucked, Spectacular was pretty good, and Ultimate is about as good as the MTV cartoon was, if not worse.

So...yeah, I don't get why a Spidey anime would be a bad thing. Still, let's see how this comes out first.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I was joking!!

I do find it interesting that Spider-Man has always had more female influences, acquaintances and friends than male. Look at his male supporting cast: Uncle Ben (dead), Harry Osbourne (becomes drug addict/goes evil), Flash Thompson (more of a bully/rival than a friend, currently Venom's host, I think), and J Jonah Jameson. It could be argued that JJJ is a father figure or mentor to Peter, but he definitely hates Spidey. Everyone else is a villain (Doc Conners, etc), a very minor character (Robertson at the Daily Bugle,) or another Marvel hero in a team-up (Daredevil, Johnny Storm from The Fantastic Four...hey, anybody want a Fantastic Four anime? Anybody?) Oh, and there are also his clones. Fans don't like talking about his clones much. Wink

Meanwhile, Spider-Man has many female friends, acquaintances and love interests, from Aunt May to MJ, none of whom are major villains (Spider-Man and Black Cat have a Batman/Catwoman thing going on) and only one is dead and haunting him. In that way I always thought he was a bit like a harem lead, or at the very least one of the most henpecked heroes in American comics. There are some comic arcs that portray him as torn up among all the gals in his life (including Aunt May), and I didn't watch it in full, but the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon had a lot of soap opera romance elements.

As for the currently running Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, it skews to a very young audience but it has some good points (and a Dwayne McDuffie tribute episode!). If they made a Spider-Man anime, I'd want it to be like the MTV animated show from the early 2000s (the animation was bad, but the plot was okay), with more sophisticated story telling and top notch animation.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
truanifan678 wrote:
To be completely honest, I'll take the current Ultimate Spide-Man over even a subtle harem Spider-Man. If there's going to be an anime of Spider-Man I think they should make it a bit more serious instead of making it like a dating sim for poor Peter Parker. What about all the other Spider-Man plot points? Green Goblin, him hanging up his webs, the whole clone thing, his consent struggle with doing the right thing for his friends and family verses the greater good, and so many more and better aspects that just the gals and Spidey. If a Spider-Man anime is only going to be a light hearted teen oriented anime show then I'll take Man of Action's take on it. Better than the trope of lame anime shows being produced as of late. Last I'll say on it since it seems I'm out voted in this particular thread. Just wanted to say my piece.
Can't agree more. If culture is going to take a character and universe from a different culture, they have to come to terms and respect each other. Peter did have some other girl friends but to describe it as a harem? No, they were never a group of women associated in any way with one man.

mdo7 wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
We'll just going to stick with 3 girls (Gwen, MJ, and Felicia) not more. Felicia will be the girl with the big bust trying to use her "asset" to get Peter's attention to her Laughing . I want it to be like Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shinji Ikari Raising Project.
So that's how crossover fighting games work.

No I wasn't referring to video game. You never read this manga:

That's how I imagine the Spiderman anime to be like, it'll be action and full of adventure. But I want it to have some element of harem because 3 girls will try to win Peter's heart like how Asuka and Rei in the NGE: Shinji Ikari Raising Project try to win Shinji's heart.
Like I said, knowing how the comics when and how a harem works, no. Also, when I mentioned Felicia, I was talking about Felicia from Darkstalkers. Bad joke is bad...

mdo7 wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:

As for everyone's else thoughts on the idea of having a Spider-Man Anime, why hasn't that been made yet?! Japan loves Spider-Man and the fact that Peter/Spidey has plenty of notable gorgeous women like Gwen, Mary Jane, and Felicia, it's ripe for a harem situation anime! Anyways, if a Spider-Man anime ever gets made, at least it should it be a lot more better than that garbage Ultimate Spider-Man series.

That's what I've been telling anime fans and a lot of people. I thought the first thing when Marvel anounce anime adaptation, I thought Spiderman would be the first to get that adaptation but it didn't it shocked me because Spiderman has loyal fanbase in Japan and I expect Marvel to give Spiderman a anime adaptation. I hope Marvel can still give Spiderman a chance.

Also yeah the Spiderman harem thing, I just want some element, let's not turn Spiderman harem into Tenchi Muyo or Girls Bravo. I just want the harem to be a romanctic tension between Peter and the 3 girls (MJ, Gwen, and Felicia). I wanted the harem/romance to be somewhat reminicent of that Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shinji Ikari Raising Project manga, not a full blown ecchi fanservice. Let Spiderman have his adventure (fighting bad guys, and going through life as superhero and a independent person).
We all know what happens in the end though, they're either killed or get married to other people and Peter ends up with MJ. Also, I've said it once and I'll say it again, Disney owns Spider-Man's cartoon rights, has renewed Ultimate for another season, and that they have no intention of giving the rights away to another group of cartoonists any time soon.

As for good 3rd party cartoons about Spider-Man, here's a good one.

That siad, let's change our topic at hand. What other characters in Marvel's universe would be suitable to Japanese culture?
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
Peter ends up with MJ? Really? I'd like to tell Marvel that, they seem to have forgotten...Wink

I don't think The Fantastic Four has ever had a Japanese adaptation via anime or manga. That would be interesting to see...
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:

As for everyone's else thoughts on the idea of having a Spider-Man Anime, why hasn't that been made yet?! Japan loves Spider-Man and the fact that Peter/Spidey has plenty of notable gorgeous women like Gwen, Mary Jane, and Felicia, it's ripe for a harem situation anime! Anyways, if a Spider-Man anime ever gets made, at least it should it be a lot more better than that garbage Ultimate Spider-Man series.

That's what I've been telling anime fans and a lot of people. I thought the first thing when Marvel anounce anime adaptation, I thought Spiderman would be the first to get that adaptation but it didn't it shocked me because Spiderman has loyal fanbase in Japan and I expect Marvel to give Spiderman a anime adaptation. I hope Marvel can still give Spiderman a chance.

Also yeah the Spiderman harem thing, I just want some element, let's not turn Spiderman harem into Tenchi Muyo or Girls Bravo. I just want the harem to be a romanctic tension between Peter and the 3 girls (MJ, Gwen, and Felicia). I wanted the harem/romance to be somewhat reminicent of that Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shinji Ikari Raising Project manga, not a full blown ecchi fanservice. Let Spiderman have his adventure (fighting bad guys, and going through life as superhero and a independent person).
We all know what happens in the end though, they're either killed or get married to other people and Peter ends up with MJ. Also, I've said it once and I'll say it again, Disney owns Spider-Man's cartoon rights, has renewed Ultimate for another season, and that they have no intention of giving the rights away to another group of cartoonists any time soon.

As for good 3rd party cartoons about Spider-Man, here's a good one.

That siad, let's change our topic at hand. What other characters in Marvel's universe would be suitable to Japanese culture?

I don't know any other Marvel characters that could also work as anime. As I mention I would love to see Red Ronin to get his own anime, it would be Marvel's first mecha anime if they did that.

I don't think Disney's TV right for Spider-Man is preventing Spidey from gettin his own anime show. Iron Man still have other cartoon being shown even when the Iron Man anime was made. There's another Avenger cartoon, Avenger Assemble, going to coming out featuring Iron Man probably around the same time Iron Man: Rise of Technovore will be release in US. If Disney is preventing Spiderman from getting a anime adaptation, then why is Disney allowing this Iron Man anime movie and at the same time make another Avenger cartoon. Maybe Marvel and Disney is planning to surprise people with Spiderman anime in the future, maybe they're saving the best for last, who knows anything possible.

Anyway, I look at the voice cast for Avenger Assemble it looks like Laura Bailey is voicing Black Widow, maybe there's a chance the Iron Man anime movie, Laura Bailey could reprise her role as Black Widow for that anime movie. You know if Spiderman anime was done, for Felicia Hardy/Black Cat I would want Laura to voice the character (well her or Ali Hilis who voiced Felicia Hardy/Black Cat for the Amazing Spider-Man video game adaptation).

EDIT: made a mistake between Black Cat/Black Widow.

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
@ mdo7

Uh, Laura Bailey is playing Black Widow not Black Cat and they are both completely different characters here. Since the new Iron Man Anime movie will include Black Widow, it would be very likely we will see her voice Black Widow again in the movie and if Thor ever shows up, Travis Willingham would likely do it too.

As for the upcoming Avengers Assemble TV series coming out next summer, I am still upset over Earth's Mightiest Heroes being cancelled in favor for this and the fact that the horrid Ultimate Spider-Man replacing the much superior Spectacular Spider-Man didn't help here either.

My only hope for Avengers Assemble is that it doesn't emulate the same stupid humor of Ultimate Spider-Man and not turn our main heroes the designated heroes because Peter/Spidey is completely unlikeable and unbearable in it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
@ mdo7

Uh, Laura Bailey is playing Black Widow not Black Cat and they are both completely different characters here. Since the new Iron Man Anime movie will include Black Widow, it would be very likely we will see her voice Black Widow again in the movie and if Thor ever shows up, Travis Willingham would likely do it too.

As for the upcoming Avengers Assemble TV series coming out next summer, I am still upset over Earth's Mightiest Heroes being cancelled in favor for this and the fact that the horrid Ultimate Spider-Man replacing the much superior Spectacular Spider-Man didn't help here either.

My only hope for Avengers Assemble is that it doesn't emulate the same stupid humor of Ultimate Spider-Man and not turn our main heroes the designated heroes because Peter/Spidey is completely unlikeable and unbearable in it.

Yeah I found out and just made a slight edit. Thanks for pointing it out, I don't know how I miss that. But anyway, Laura is perfect for Black Cat/Felicia Hardy if Spiderman get an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
@ mdo7

Would Laura Bailey likely use her cute Tohru/Maka voice or her sexy sultry voice of Lust/Hallibel for someone like Felicia Hardy/Black Cat?

Anyways, what do you think of how Ultimate Spider-Man is doing? With the fan consensus saying the series is overall terrible, I am with them on that.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Laura Baily will probably using her Lust voice toned down a bit. I'm a fan of hers and I'm glad she got such a sweet gig, in that if they ever end up doing an Avengers anime or a follow up to this one, she'll be a part of that, too.

Re: the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon: Well, as a fan I see where all the criticism is coming from. Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled prematurely which was bad enough, and most fans feel like Ultimate is a slap in the face. It's nothing like the original Ultimate comics (which were excellent). It doesn't take itself seriously, skews to a very young audience, it has a very frenetic pace and a weird meta-humor sensibility and tone that doesn't always work. It presents Peter Parker as more immature and, well, jerky than he's usually written and it has a team-up premise that never took place in the comics (Peter on a Teen Avengers team with a teenaged Luke Cage, Iron Fist, White Tiger, and Nova? Working directly under Nick Fury? I'd like to know how those cartoon development meetings went...)

OTOH, the show can be fun. I actually like its interpretations of Spider-Man's villains. It has the creepiest Doctor Octopus and Sandman I've seen in a long time. Its focus on Peter and Harry's relationship, and how it colors Peter's perception of Norman Osbourne is right on the mark.
It *can* be really funny (see the recent "I am Spider-Man" episode and it's take on the old "Flash Thompson gets mistaken as Spider-Man" blended with a parody of the Broadway musical). Mary Jane and especially Aunt May are written well, and there are flashes of brilliance in which you can tell that someone working on this show knows the Marvel canon and respects it.

So, it's not a great show, but taken as a fun trifle it's certainly worth watching. At least some episodes are. I don't hold out any hope that it will *ever* meet the superhero cartoon excellence of the DCAU, but Marvel doesn't have a good track record there, anyway. And history tells me that this will probably not be the last time Spider-Man gets a cartoon...so I'll take out of this show what I can and hope that something better gets produced in the future.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
@ mdo7

Would Laura Bailey likely use her cute Tohru/Maka voice or her sexy sultry voice of Lust/Hallibel for someone like Felicia Hardy/Black Cat?

Anyways, what do you think of how Ultimate Spider-Man is doing? With the fan consensus saying the series is overall terrible, I am with them on that.

Well I don't watch Ultimate Spider-Man since I don' have time to watch them. But for the Spider-man anime, if Laura Bailey does voice Felicia Hardy/Black Cat she may use Lust voice (toned down a bit like Agent355 said) when she's in Black Cat form, for Felicia the happy outgoing busty schoolgirl, Laura may need to use a sexy voice to match Felicia's seductive behavior (even with scene involving Felicia trying to seduce Peter).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3