• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: The 08th MS Team BD Box to Add New Short Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
I'm assuming you didn't see my post?

Age has a dub. AGE!

I did read your post. So AGE has an English dub? If you are referring that AGE will be dubbed for other, non R1, markets, I did not know it.

I heard that AGE was English subtitled, but I do not know anything about English dubbing plans for R1.

I believe it's one of those Asian English dubs meant for Asian market. Which is where their international distribution focus seems to be at the moment, because the fact of the matter is that Gundam has proven itself more successful there than it ever has been in America or Europe.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I already own the Bandai Boxset. But if the Blu-Ray set had subs I might get it since 8th MS Team is my favorite Gundam series.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Ugh, another company willing to comply with Aniplex's horrible model? I want to know where in blazes this news came up, because if that's true then Japan has no idea how the market works here at all.

It's not "willing to comply", and they do know how the market works. It's just more profitable for them to sell expensive sets to fewer people than vice-versa, and it does them the double duty of preventing their Japanese fans from importing American releases at 1/5th the cost, shipping and handling included. They know damn right what they're doing, they're protecting their primary audience's investments at the cost of neglecting the foreign supplementary market. All we ever were to them was a bump to their bottom line, and now they know that there are North Americans willing to spend $100 for a 12 episode series, or even $150+ for one, unsubbed.

What about the people who want it dubbed? They spent thousands on dubbing Unicorn, only to have the whole series' release here get screwed over. We're never going to SEE a Gundam series dubbed again, are we?

The English version of Gundam UC is NOT a DUB! How many times do I have to repeat myself? Hell, it's so obviously implied it's not a dub either. The English track was produced by Sunrise, it was produced in tandem with the Japanese co-original, the scripting is EXACTLY the same/same differences, it was included in the ORIGINAL release and nothing implies it's a dub. Just because a language track of Japanese cartoon, doesn't mean it can't be the co-original. Also on Amazon, the English track plays with the Japanese track and that didn't happen for shows/movies, where they include actual English dubs on Japanese BDs like Ghibli films. Gundam Unicorn has YET to be dubbed in ANY language.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:

The English version of Gundam UC is NOT a DUB!

Yes, it is.

For that matter, so is the Japanese track.

But in the popular parlance, the JP track is the original, while the English track is the "dub".

Edit: And just because it was produced by Sunrise does not mean it has the same importance as the Japanese track.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Gundam Unicorn has YET to be dubbed in ANY language.

It's clear you have no idea as to what a dub actually is.

A dub, at its most basic definition, is a language track. Therefore Gundam Unicorn has several dubs, the original Japanese being the first. But even we use the commonly-accepted definition of 'dub' in the Western fandom - that is to say, an official English language track - then it is clear that Gundam Unicorn still has a dub.

It doesn't matter who made the dub of Gundam Unicorn, what matters is that it exists.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
Well, can't say I've ever heard that one before.

Gundam UC a silent film? My ears have been deceiving me this entire time!? Very Happy
EpicLotus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, the description didn't mention English subtitles, but I emailed Bandai Visual anyways on the off-chance. Sadly, they replied that there would be no English subtitles on the 08th MS Team BD set. I have to say, it's a bit disappointing that they seem uninterested in putting English subs on older Gundam titles as they're getting BD releases.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
EpicLotus wrote:
Well, the description didn't mention English subtitles, but I emailed Bandai Visual anyways on the off-chance. Sadly, they replied that there would be no English subtitles on the 08th MS Team BD set. I have to say, it's a bit disappointing that they seem uninterested in putting English subs on older Gundam titles as they're getting BD releases.

Yeah, that's just the one thing I can't wrap my head around with their new business plan. They want to take the market into their own hands, but they're ignoring easy revenue streams by missing the chance to appeal with North American otaku who have lots of money and little patience. They do own the rights to the subs, don't they? Wouldn't adding them on a BD be a no-brainer?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, that's just the one thing I can't wrap my head around with their new business plan. They want to take the market into their own hands, but they're ignoring easy revenue streams by missing the chance to appeal with North American otaku who have lots of money and little patience. They do own the rights to the subs, don't they? Wouldn't adding them on a BD be a no-brainer?

If we could only figure out the answer as to why Corporations and Businesses make things so hard for themselves when the answers to their dilemmas is literally slapping them in the face, they'd make more f***ing money!!

But then again, it's their loss, not ours.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:

The English version of Gundam UC is NOT a DUB!

Yes, it is.

For that matter, so is the Japanese track.

But in the popular parlance, the JP track is the original, while the English track is the "dub".

Edit: And just because it was produced by Sunrise does not mean it has the same importance as the Japanese track.

They're both the DAMNED [expletive] original, so how can ONE be a dub and the other can't? While ANN's definition of dubbing is a SOUNDTRACK as a WHOLE, dubbing would imply that the original audio has been taken out and been replaced with the language of importation/licensing(I.E NONE for UC) .And since that's not the case with UC,, since they are both the original and both were produced in tandem. The English voices of UC are the original, along with the Japanese versions. Original languages of anything can't be dubs, so the English version of Gundam UC isn't a dub. And nah, the English 'dub' version of the Gundam UC doesn't have as much importance as the Japanese 'original'. I mean they only were produced by the same company.(epic sarcasm). Conclusion, the English version of Unicorn is and WILL never be a dub. FACT
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:
Gundam Unicorn has YET to be dubbed in ANY language.

It's clear you have no idea as to what a dub actually is.

A dub, at its most basic definition, is a language track. Therefore Gundam Unicorn has several dubs, the original Japanese being the first. But even we use the commonly-accepted definition of 'dub' in the Western fandom - that is to say, an official English language track - then it is clear that Gundam Unicorn still has a dub.

It doesn't matter who made the dub of Gundam Unicorn, what matters is that it exists.

Nope, dubbing is extracting the original language of a product and replacing the product with the language that is spoken by the country that is importing said product. Stop using that Hayao Miyazaki BS. Since the English version of Gundam UC was PRODUCED in TANDEM with the Japanese version, PRODUCED by the same people who made the Japanese version and NOT Bandai Entertainment or Animax and is INCLUDED in the original release with the Japanese version, the English version of Gundam UC is NOT a dub. Steve Staley IS the Banagher Links, just as Kōki Uchiyama IS Banagher Links. Also, Unicorn is only in 2 languages, so that destroys your 'Unicorn' has several dubs theory. The original English and the Original Japanese. PERIOD and FACT!

Quote:
The term most commonly refers to the substitution of the voices of the actors shown on the screen by those of different performers speaking a different language;

Quote:
Films, videos and sometimes video games are sometimes dubbed into the local language of a foreign market. Where foreign distribution occurs, dubbing is common in theatrically released films, television series, cartoons and anime.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Also, Unicorn is only in 2 languages, so that destroys your 'Unicorn' has several dubs theory. The original English and the Original Japanese. PERIOD and FACT!

And you are a troll. Period and fact. There is an Italian language release as well, so that makes three dubs.

DomonX2 wrote:
Nope, dubbing is extracting the original language of a product and replacing the product with the language that is spoken by the country that is importing said product.

Oh? What about this then?

"v. To dub / dubbing

1) The process of adding sound to video.

n. Dub

1) Audio recorded separately and inserted into video. The result of dubbing.

When video and sound are recorded synchronously (as is generally done with live-action), the audio aspect is not considered a dub. However any sounds added to the audio after the initial recording (special effect, additional voices, etc...) are dubbed.

When voice recordings and sound effects are added to animation, this process is called dubbing. In anime, both the original Japanese audio and the localized English audio are technically dubs."

Taken from ANN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3