• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - One Pound Gospel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatsuptiger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I work at Scarecrow Video in Seattle, WA and we carry the VHS of One-Pound Gospel for rental! It's the Japanese version with English subtitles! If you are in the Seattle area, stop on by, it's $3 for a week!

I just love where I work ^___^;;
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
whatsuptiger wrote:
I work at Scarecrow Video in Seattle, WA and we carry the VHS of One-Pound Gospel for rental! It's the Japanese version with English subtitles! If you are in the Seattle area, stop on by, it's $3 for a week!

I just love where I work ^___^;;

I have several movie-nut friends who also love where you work. Anime smile

And related to what you said about weight control, Justin, wrestlers (of the Greco-Roman non-professional variety) also have very strict weight classes to which they must adhere. So I'm really interested in this OVA now because I had similar food vs. weight struggles in high school. It really sucked. Laughing

I think I'll have to look for the manga, though, since I don't have a VCR...
jgreen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:
I think her stories work best when taken as quick one-shots, instead of drawn out repetitive affairs (*looks sternly at Inu Yasha*). I'd especially like to see Fire Tripper make its way back... that's probably my favorite of the Rumik World OAVs.

This is so true. I'm certainly no expert on her stories, but I've seen Ranma 1/2 and InuYasha, and loved both...for about the first two seasons. Then I realized that basically I was watching the same episode, over and over, with slight changes. I very soon gave up on both. This has also discouraged me from trying her other series, like Maison Ikkoku or Urusei Yatsura.

Okay, seriously, and this is with no sense of hyperbole whatsoever, Maison Ikkoku is fantastic...it's far and away my favorite manga of all time. Unlike Ranma and InuYasha, which clearly overstayed their welcome, MI is a concise series with a clear ending that Takahashi builds to almost perfectly.

I will say that that the anime doesn't quite hit home as hard as the manga does, but it's still a very solid series that doesn't even come close to the repetitiveness that has you avoiding it. It's great stuff...check it out.

I'd also love to see the Rumic World OAVs released on DVD. Maris the Chojo....man, that's some good stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Maison Ikkoku is fantastic...it's far and away my favorite manga of all time. Unlike Ranma and InuYasha, which clearly overstayed their welcome, MI is a concise series with a clear ending that Takahashi builds to almost perfectly.

A shame her work's been deteriorating ever since.

jgreen wrote:
I'd also love to see the Rumic World OAVs released on DVD. Maris the Chojo....man, that's some good stuff!

Seconded. Maris is pretty typical '80's sci-fi action comedy with a ton of unexpected pathos. It's pretty interesting.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
I think I still have the manga and VHS somewhere. These things can get lost thru time, y'know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2