• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Bricken the House

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tenchi: Urban Vision's screw-up was putting out all those Tatsunoko spin-off titles on dvd and letting most of their marketable catalog titles rot on VHS.

What are you talking about? You're making it sound like UV had a bunch of Tatsunoko animes to release, but all UV ever released of Tatsunoko's was the 90s Gatchaman OVA, Tekkaman Blade II, and New Hurrican Polymar... And out of those Polymar was never given a DVD release, not to mention that Gatchaman and Tekkam,an Blade II were never given re-releases. I really doubt 3 titles can really count as "all those Tatsunoko spin-off titles", and they didn't even release them all on DVD.

Now if you mean Madhouse OVAs, then yes, Urban Vision released a hell of a lot of Madhouse OVAs, a lot of which stayed on VHS.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
Great show again, excellent new feature. I too almost spit coffee on Zac's Shuffle to the pool comment. Though I like Shuffle, so there. I had no idea of the actual intensity of the vehemence against otaku and magical girl shows. The ANN reviews make more sense now, though it was fairly obvious before Wink

I confess to gorging on anime in the past two years, being a new fan. But I found anime due to a complete burn-out on live action movies (haven't watched TV, really ever much, but not at all for a decade or so), so I recognize the phenomenon. Fortunately, I felt the burn-out coming and cut back before it happened. Now I watch anime every couple of days, and for less time, and have wandered back to live action a bit. Plus I'm one of those bemoaning the lack of creativity lately. That lets me still enjoy the occasional feast. When a show really grabs me (Aria recently), there's nothing better than a 3-season marathon. Then I have my handful of favorite shows that I plan to re-watch annually, and the cutback helps highlight those.

I guess I happily missed some of the worst releases of the old days. Thanks to Justin, I can pick and choose the classics.

heavyweather wrote:
Misbegotten licences: One of my favorite anime shows (Kamichu) is a good example. It didn't sell well - especially considering that it was dubbed.

Really too bad, because it's an excellent show. Since I was a new fan when Geneon went down, I bought up every title that seemed remotely interesting, and I consider that one of my best blind purchases.

And yes, chicken and waffles is definitely Southern. It's best if you had a peanut butter and pickle sandwich for lunch earlier Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Geo: Still, those OVAs were the company's priority. And Polymar still got more marketing distribution than friggin' Legend of the Crystals.
And yes, they blew the Madhouse thing, too. They also said they had the rights to Azumi for a while, too, but they waited long after people bootlegged and imported it to release it on dvd.
flyindreams

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
First time listener, totally LOL'd at the "Na-RU-to! Na-RUU-toh" bit ;D

This was a fun one - I've been a fan of Rob's Astro Toy column (despite NOT being a figurines collector at all!) so that and the promise of cynicism was what made me listen in the first place. Will definitely tune in again to future episodes, keep up the great work!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough, Princess Tutu came up while waiting in line at a con for this exact reason. The people that have seen it say it's good, but the title pretty much scares people off.

As for Blu-ray, the only thing I care about is the FMA movie because Funimation had a trailer, but it hasn't shown up. That's the only blu-ray that I've really been looking for.

Finally, it's really sad to hear about just how tied down Geneon USA was. It's tough to make a go of it when the boss does things that don't allow for success.
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
I'm not a real fan of podcasts, but I like this one very much. Seems like you are having a lot of fun.
Anyway, what I wanted to ask: When Zac takes his first shot at the AoD forums, what exactly does he say? I listened to it ten times, but still couldn't understand it. I mean the part where he says something like "hurr...*something*...hurr"
(I'm not a native speaker. Here's my card Smile)

Edit: Am I the only one here who bought Princess Tutu because I'm interested in ballet?!
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I don't consider the company a failure, but if I did feel there was one title which was a dumb license from the company, it'd be Sgt. Frog. Papuwa was at least short and probably cheap. But Sgt. Frog is effing long, and clearly got snagged at the wrong time. I don't think there's even much of a fanbase for the manga. Yeah, there are a lot of volumes of it out there, but the same can be said for Initial D.

Ya, even as a huge Keroro Gunso fan, I did find that move incredibly surprising (i still remember that day it came up on the ANN headlines and me saying "What? Really? Why?" )

I mean, Sgt. Frog is a horribly long series (what are they on now....episode 270? along with 4-soon to be 5-movies) and shouldn't be licensed by anyone unless they have the proper funds to commit,

but I think there's enough Keroro fans in the US to make it work. (atleast that's what I'm hoping) Plus its still a fun show in its own right even with the wacky title. I mean, I know I'm buying a copy. I'll buy two if I have to Anime hyper

((but I still think it would've been best to put it on TV for the kids to watch :/ too bad it didn't work out))

but atleast Keroro has cute and fun looking characters and girls with boobs on the cover to attract people. Papuwa didn't even have that :/ I saw it in stores, holding it and thinking "this must be a horrible show. why would they bring this over?.....is that fish wearing stockings?"
----------
Anyway. great podcast guys! I listen every week.
Zac, your story about throwing Shuffle off your balcony after watching it made me laugh so hard I fell out of my chair Anime hyper
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
When Zac takes his first shot at the AoD forums, what exactly does he say? I listened to it ten times, but still couldn't understand it. I mean the part where he says something like "hurr...*something*...hurr"
(I'm not a native speaker. Here's my card Smile)

Edit: Am I the only one here who bought Princess Tutu because I'm interested in ballet?!

What Zac said, he was basically making fun of some of the AoD forum users (not all of them, as Lord Geo said, there are some nice, normal people there, too) who insist loudly and vocally they will buy some super extremely niche show if it gets licensed for R1. As in, "Yeah, we'll buy it! Seriously! We'll buy it!" And then Rob added, "Yeah, all 2 of them."

And no, you are not the only one to buy Princess Tutu because it was featured ballet dancers. My friend's sister who is a ballerina, and who doesn't really watch anime, bought it because it was about ballet. Smile I myself bought it because I saw the AMV "Hold Me Now" and thought it looked amazing, although honestly, the title did almost put me right off it.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Every week has been most entertaining. Can't wait for the next one. Zac, Justin and the guests have great chemistry.

I do agree that Papuwa was a dud and never should have been licensed, as well. For whatever failures the series is and was though, I must say Clint Bickham did an excellent job with the script. He is perhaps one of the most underrated talents in the industry - hopefully he gets to do more anime work in the future.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Zade wrote:
Do you guys think you could increase you volume?

I second this ... I have nice speakers and I still have to turn the volume on my laptop up to 100% and the podcast up all the way in order to hear it while I walk around my smaaaaall apartment (and even then sometimes it's hard) ... darn mumbly lower register talking otaku guys Wink
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I know it was only mentioned in passing, but I didn't see Yumeria as a questionable licensing choice. Sure, it's a trashy magic/harem/action series, but that puts it well in line with what ADV and other companies have released.

Looking back, ADV's history really was one of pet projects and "what were they thinking?" Aura Battler Dunbine, Princess Tutu, Wedding Peach, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Papuwa, Gatchaman, Michel, BastoF Lemon, Milk-chan (I can't imagine them getting a good return on not one but two dubs + filmed live-action sequences), Petite Princess Yucie, Wandaba Style, Cyber Team in Akihabara, Sakura Wars (due to the games being unknown in R1), Legend of Moby Dick, the SDF Macross TV dub, and I'm sure the list goes on. The VHS-era crappy OVAs like Panzer Dragon and Galaxy Fraulein Yuna are forgivable, but these were all post-2000.

Are there any theories about why Heat Guy J was a failure? I haven't seen it, but it's got name recognition via the creator of Escaflowne, seemingly good production values, lots of top names in the Bang Zoom dub cast, and a Western-audience-accessible setup. Plus, Heat Guy J was never completely fansubbed, so it didn't have the "everyone's already seen it" factor before the release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3