• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Railgun Staff, Cast Return for 2nd Season's Sisters Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
I wonder... did anyone only get into Railgun? I imagine most people watched Railgun because they watched Index so they'd be fully aware of what the Sisters arc entails.

I did watch Index season 1 first, but didn't like it because it was just another harem/fanservice anime, with nonsense magic too. Then I watched Railgun and found it awesome. So I have some vague idea of what is meant by 'Sisters' here, but I'm sure Railgun S will be sweet and awesome.

Index really isn't a harem anime... if you came to that conclusion on your own then that's fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
Touma is definetly building up a harem
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
Depends on how you want to define it. There's definitely a harem in it (more than 2 girls are in love with Touma), but resolving said harem is not the main focus of the story.
wastrel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I wonder... did anyone only get into Railgun? I imagine most people watched Railgun because they watched Index so they'd be fully aware of what the Sisters arc entails.

I watched the first season of Index first, then Railgun, then the second of Index. I enjoyed Railgun far more than Index (which really should be entitled A Certain Power-canceling Idiot since Index is barely in it).

So I'm glad Railgun is getting another season, even if it does cover the Sisters arc, because it's almost certainly going to be better than that second season of Index.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Touma is definetly building up a harem

I'm not saying he isn't but that's not the main focus of the story or never is unless you count the few filler sol episodes which are fun as hell to watch in season 2 of Index
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RaccoonGoon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
I wonder... did anyone only get into Railgun?

Yes, I love electric tsundere schoolgirls but I just couldn't get into weird amnesiac loli nuns.

*raises hand*

Seriously though, I enjoyed the first season of Railgun, but I still haven't seen Index. I plan on it eventually, but alas, it feels like I need a hyperbolic time chamber to get everything done sometimes.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
they keep the look and feel of season one. I hate when they change up art styles for shows. love the voice cast glad to see them all back! and I really hope after the movie season three of Index gets a release and green light!

If they keep the look of season on all will be well. also the music fits this show very well so I hope they keep the tone of the show near same.

really enjoyed this whole set of shows. Hope Funimation gets seasons 2 of Index and the movie as well!

though to be honest Funimation kept season one on the back burner way to long! ouch.. and the same with many other shows.

no matter what the stated issues were.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
I wonder if I'll live long enough to enjoy all these sequels. I'm looking forward to it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
they keep the look and feel of season one. I hate when they change up art styles for shows. love the voice cast glad to see them all back! and I really hope after the movie season three of Index gets a release and green light!

If they keep the look of season on all will be well. also the music fits this show very well so I hope they keep the tone of the show near same.

really enjoyed this whole set of shows. Hope Funimation gets seasons 2 of Index and the movie as well!

though to be honest Funimation kept season one on the back burner way to long! ouch.. and the same with many other shows.

no matter what the stated issues were.
. Until that Geneon merger in Japan was over, the only thing funimation could do was wait since Geneon was unable to give them what they needed to start working on the shows during the merger.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I've been following the Railgun manga for a long time now, but I never watched the anime because the first season had to have been almost entirely filler. Is it any good?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
I've been following the Railgun manga for a long time now, but I never watched the anime because the first season had to have been almost entirely filler. Is it any good?

The second half was anime-original, but the manga apparently made it cannon anyway. And yes, the whole thing was really damn good.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
I did watch Index season 1 first, but didn't like it because it was just another harem/fanservice anime, with nonsense magic too.

Because Railgun's science is so different from magic.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
AilisKnil wrote:

The second half was anime-original, but the manga apparently made it cannon anyway. And yes, the whole thing was really damn good.

Not to mention the overall anime-original arc actually ties up a lot of loose ends at the end of the 1st half of Railgun which wasn't even dealt with in the manga at all.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:
I did watch Index season 1 first, but didn't like it because it was just another harem/fanservice anime, with nonsense magic too.

Because Railgun's science is so different from magic.

Raildex science is magic.

Raildex magic is bullshit.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Well I personally like both.

One of the main reasons I like Railgun/Index series is due to its way of presenting a weird sort of satire and future warning, kinda like "Brave New World" except this story is for mainly teens and it's quite bigger in terms of amount of novels and the amount of content it gives.

Railgun/Index presents many typical and overused ideas, but does so in an interesting way with more of them. For example, go through you head for every 'villain' in Index. Now how many of them are like typical action show villains? Well you would probably say quite a few, but look at their REASON for fighting, and being a villain. Most (with very few exceptions) have some sort of easily justifiable reason for fighting, rather than 'oh I'll conquer the world!!!!' reasons that are rather dull.

Also look at each side of fighting, the main ones being the Science side and the Religion side. After going through the series, is there a side that is right or wrong? Or a side that is completely good or evil? Now look further into those sides, is each member of both sides fighting simply because their superiors ordered them to? They have wills and their own reasons for fighting, and are not simply henchmen of who ever.

Now I will admit that the novels do a better job of presenting these ideas (as well as plenty more) than the anime. According to the author, Kamachi Kazuma, in the second novel the main villain, Aureolus Ezzard, is "...a 'failed version of Kamijou Touma'. When I was writing, I thought that if Kamijou Touma failed in the first volume, he would have become such a person." Perhaps with this you will take another look at the second ark, or just reflect on what happened then. (A heads up, the second novel also varies largely from the anime, but keeps a similar idea)

I'll end this (before I turn it into a 20 page essay on every point presented in the novel) with the concept mentioned to describe what ESPers are, Schrodinger's cat. This series can be interpreted in many ways, most people will simply interpret it by face value. (like when Index thinks there is chocolate in the chocolate box) But there are those who will dive into the story and look at every nook and cranny to find a larger meaning in it all. And (just like the Science side and the Religion side) neither of them are wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3