• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Toole Runnings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
at the risk of sounding like a complete noob, what the heck is an image song?

You know how when there's a movie that has a popular soundtrack album they'll release a second album that's all "Songs inspired by the hit film"?

Image albums are "songs inspired by the hit show", except they're usually songs sung in-character by the Japanese voice actors who play the characters on that show, and the songs are usually related to their character's personality.

So, I guess the best way I could describe it is if there was a CD released right at the height of the popularity of the original Batman animated series called "Batman: Gotham Follies" or whatever and the entire CD was the show's voice actors - like Mark Hamill as the Joker - singing songs in-character that described their personalities. It'd be kind of humiliating and contrived, right?
David.Seth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
Thanks hakajo, now I know! (and knowing is half the battle)

and Zac, kinda like if the Hackers 2 and 3 soundtracks were made by Angelina Jolie? ok lol probably bad example. but thanks, that further explained what hakajo was getting at.

as far as classical adaptations, I would love to see a somewhat faithful adaptation of Cyrano de Bergerac . I highly recommend anyone who hasn't read it to go out and do so! Or, if your lazy, you can rent the modern Steve Martin movie adaptation "Roxanne"

Last edited by David.Seth on Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:22 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
The lack of extra content is in no way a deal-breaker for me, but I do appreciate it when they license the behind-the-scenes documentary stuff from Japan like the Venice research clips in Aria, Minoru Shiraishi end credit location shoot footage in Lucky Star, and that Project A-Ko documentary that was mostly the animators talking about what kind of females turn them on and making comments about the Los Angeles session singers that recorded the songs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Justin's livin' in L.A. now? I thought he was a New Yawka. Too expensive?

No, didn't really even realize how expensive everything was in NY until after I moved. Very Happy

Most of my friends are entertainment-industry types, but still all of us are pretty young. Many are starting to migrate out here to LA because the recession has it the indie and TV markets REALLY hard. Not that things are much better out here, but NYC has pretty much nothing going on at all these days, outside of a few TV shows shooting there. The weather (which has been brutal for several years), the food (surprisingly much better here), close proximity to some anime companies (some licensors have local offices here too) were all reasons I made the move. I miss NY, but I think I made the right choice. And ANNCast would not have been possible had I not!

BTW, I REALLY hate the on-the-spot "name a xxxx" twitter questions, because I can never come up with a good one at the time. I usually come up with a good answer (favorite dub: original Kite) days or hours after the fact, after careful contemplation. (classic book: Tuck Everlasting, done shoujo style).
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:

On the subject of classic literature being turned into anime: I don't know if this counts as 'classic', but I kind of want to see what Mamoru Oshii could do with Kurt Vonnegut's Player Piano.

Oh man, that would be amazing. I was trying to come up with a Vonnegut idea but that takes the cake. Satoshi Kon doing Slaughterhouse Five was the best I could come up with. Unfortunately my favorite Vonnegut (Mother Night) doesn't lend itself to a great anime adaptation.

A version of In Cold Blood done in the same style as Monster by Madhouse would also be pretty awesome.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
You do know there's a live-action version of Mother Night? I've seen it; it was really good.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
Ohhh, I remember that dub of "Samuray X" it hurt my ears.... And the spanish translation was made from this dud, so "Batusai el despellejador"
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
Hunter: Kind of ironic you should mention Kon and Vonnegut, since the director is a big fan of the author.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
Justin: Wait. I thought indie companies and tv productions were running away from Cali, because our local government was too cheap to give out the tax breaks for film productions. Just surprised you like the food, 'cus it's a diabetic's nightmare with all the additives we have in place of nourishing ingredients. [Or is the Yoshinoya/Tommy's /Fatburger thing that got ya goin' here? ^_-] And I didn't know anime companies still did work here, other than that Bang Zoom thing. I thought the base of the domestic industry is now in TX.

Oh, and my classic lit picks would be Osamu Dezaki and/or Rintaro working on the Bros. Karamazov.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
I definitely don't care about the extras on the DVDs. I'll occasionally listen to dub commentaries, but only by minimizing the DVD player on my PC while I semi-listen to the commentary as I'm on the Internet. Plus, as Chicks on Anime pointed out (I believe it was them), getting extra features from the Japanese cost extra money, and I'm sure most if not virtually all fans would agree they'd rather have the companies spend that money on other licenses and such.

Physical extras are a different beast. Plushes are kinda pointless, you can get those at cons and online easily. Soundtracks are pretty cool. If a manga adaptation is actually good, then having it inside is fine. But stuff like the Lucky Star shirts, oh come on, those were just stupid.

In terms of older literature, the only one that I'd really love to see besides the already-mentioned Jules Verne is HP Lovecraft. When reading his works, my mind normally wouldn't think, "the best way to adapt this is anime", but after live-action has failed completely with adapations of his more times than I count (though Guillmero trying to get a faithful Mountains of Madness script made into a movie gives me some hope), I say we let someone else have a shot at it.

And Zac has become a One Piece fan? Awesome! Very Happy
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
Rolando_jose wrote:
Ohhh, I remember that dub of "Samuray X" it hurt my ears.... And the spanish translation was made from this dud, so "Batusai el despellejador"

"Batusai el destajador" was the term used for the spanish dub (here, have a sample), but at least they didn't change/shorten the names like in the Animax dub
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Great show again. Definitely my favorite ANN feature now. Just wish I was familiar with even half the shows mentioned. You old-timers leave us newbies wanting, but the references are welcome. One day... you might do a "current" reference show. A podcast summary of the Fall Previews maybe...

Cencoroll sounds and looks awesome. Can't wait to see that. Also, thanks for so eloquently describing my own viewpoint on reviews--especially Justin's description of how Ebert handles "bad" films vs. good ones--and for being big fans of Ebert. Which isn't surprising, just nice to hear.

I do appreciate extras, but at this point only the Japanese video stuff (I care less about chotchkies, though manga included is nice because I don't buy them). The American voice actors haven't usually seen the show or read the source if any, aren't fans and all they do is promote each other's, and every other actor's, previous work. The Japanese actors are nearly always fans of the source material (most anime being adaptations) or at least have read some of it before playing the part. So their commentary is focused more on the material, or at least their character, which is interesting to me.

True, the Americans try to be funny, as in entertaining. But there's one huge difference that makes the American actors' humor unfunny. These American actors are the most PC group of people I have ever heard, to the point that I just don't listen anymore. Yes, U.S. live action commentators, especially actors, are rarely irreverant because despite disclaimers they are heavily influenced by the producers and studios to be "nice". But I don't think I've ever heard a single even slightly off-color or irreverant comment from an American anime voice actor on commentaries. It's so much sugar and sweetness and light, with no substance, that I just start to gag.

The Japanese, however, often just let it rip. While being so (often ironically) mannerly about it Wink The most extreme I've seen is the bar interview video on Dead Leaves with three or four of the principles just getting sh*t-faced on fruity shots and playing some embarrassing confession game. The best ever though is the Rie Kugumiya - Romi Paku "yuri" cross-interview on Fullmetal Alchemist: The Movie - Conqueror of Shamballa (Ltd Ed). It is a riot.

As to classic adaptations, I second the Vonnegut suggestions, though I think the reference was to older classic literature, as in pre-20th century. More anime Kafka would be good, though. Gankutsuou to me is great example of how it should be done in animation.

Oh, and the Chicks need to do one of these just for kicks.

Last edited by pparker on Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
blacotaku1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Thank you guys for the Anipages Reference. I have been wondering lately about key animators and this site is really a gold mine! Thank you both for your hard work. I love the Podcast because I am also an otaku who is reaching his 30's and very much appreciates the cynicism. I can't wait for next week....

Edit to add: I really love the old 'commercial bumpers' you all play for the casts. the first two shows you guys did brought me back to my childhood!
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I really loved this weeks podcast and its on the site early! You could really feel all the nerd/otaku love for anime this time around. Especially with the questions. A few of the podcast had you guys sound a bit too jaded and tired to answer them, altough one of them you were tired, but this time around you guys really sounded excited about them or really impressed by them which was really cool.

jsevakis: I don't think many of us mind or even notice you having much trouble thinking of a series for the on the spot questions. And its not like we don't understand that if it is a problem. But it's pretty cool to come to the thread and letting us know. thanks.

I'm not sure if its been done before but a Don Quixote anime would be interesting. Except he's not crazy and imagining things and its all true but only a handful of people know of it. But that's just me. Or he could still be crazy, but everything is still real and he's the only one who can stop it. That be cool too.

For DVD extras, I am perfectly content with clean intros and endings of the series. I personally didn't care much for the VA commentary just because it was really second hand. Like asking a translator of a book to give his opinion of the plot and why the story was what it was rather then ask the author themself for their opinion.

Don't get me wrong we really enjoy and apprerciate the work you put into it, but you didn't create nor were involved of the development of the series. I want the opinions of those people, not the opinions of the VA unless that VA has extensive work in country original works like I would love to hear Phil Lamarr's or Steve Blum's opinions or other celeb actors who did the occasional Ghibli dubs or heck, even Andy Richter. I definitely enjoyed hearing Johnny B's experiences with a few series but definitely enjoyed hearing his experience as a VA in general more.

I know it sounds kind of jackass-y or weebo-ish but I mean it. US Commentary on working in VA or the US industry or fandom, that's interesting. Commentary on a series that you barely know plotwise or basically where it wasn't originally made in the US or Europe; yeah I'll probably skip it.
Prede

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Justin: WoW you never watched all of Shadow Star Narutaru? It is an exellent title, at least story wise. And yes the animation sucked. It is all around terrible looking. But the story, like everyone said, is really good. Well worth watching. It takes the idea of having a pokemon-like pet thing from something innocent and just cool, to something disturbing, terrible, and sickening, and much more realistic. Which personally I think is a brilliant idea. It's a bit like Alien Nine, too, only much darker and even crueler. It's a very disturbing, twisted, and dark series. But one of my favorites. Then again I have a soft spot for titles that involve children being put in terrible/dangerous postitions, and having to grow up really fast. And another soft spot for anything that shows how evil mankind truly is. Kitoh is known for both...

I do wonder what type of childhood Kitoh had though... His mangas are all very good however. Gata be inspired by something I guess...

Now I want those Narutaru plushies lol. I've never seen one. What do they look like? I got the complete boxset for that series. And talking about extras, it had some great ones. Director of the series even had a commentary on the last few episodes. Stuff like that is great, and it is a shame we are not getting much anymore.

Last edited by Prede on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5