• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-09-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
Of course, there is the fear (probably not entirely unfounded) that if mainstream America encountered anime, they'd try to ban it.

What. You're not actually serious when you say that, are you? You do realize that one of the things that the States is founded on is freedom of speech. If they try to ban anime, then they're going against the principles that their country is built on.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes .. yeah, just tell that to Christopher Handley who's facing 20 yrs just for viewing 'obscene manga'

.. or that Texas shop owner, convicted of selling obscene material -- Urutsukodoji -- in his comic shop.. to adults.. in a clearly marked 18+ isle.
Rednal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
*Ahem* I usually send it through e-mail, but the last two days I've been getting an error, so I'm putting my answer to this week's question here. Apologies if it's any trouble.

Quote:
Only to other fans, Eiken. And I don't mean the animated version, I mean the twelve volumes of the manga I currently own. It's slightly difficult to explain why I've bought so much of it, but I'll do the best I can. Eiken is not a series that should be rated. No percents, no "D" or "F" (because that's probably what it would get), nothing like that. You see, to give the series a rating makes the assumption that you're taking it seriously, and that's the biggest possible mistake you can make with this one. The art is mediocre at best, with maybe three characters having realistic body proportions (if you've only seen the animated version, you have no idea of what the series is truly like), and the story's normal at best. And considering that this is a deeply perverted harem comedy, "normal" isn't much. What Eiken does, however, is push essentially every perverted joke in anime or manga to the furthest possible extreme without becoming hentai. I like to say that it doesn't toe the line so much as push the line backwards. Despite this, the series is never truly explicit, which is perhaps the most impressive aspect about it. It goes further, without crossing the line, than a normal person would think possible before reading it. Eiken isn't a series for the casual manga fan or anybody who's intending to treat it with even the semblance of seriousness; it's something truly niche, meant to be enjoyed without worrying about minor details like why a girl who's in middle school at best has boobs as big as her torso (and I mean that literally). It's everything good and everything bad in the great manga tradition, completely ridiculous, often mindless, and oh-so-perverted. But as long as you read it for what it is and nothing more, it rarely stops being funny. And that's why it's in my collection.

~Rednal
4as

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote
barkera wrote:
How on earth can "Tom is nothing if not a dude" recommend Sky Girls to a wide American audience? Not only is it REALLY BAD, but it's girls who, at least appear, underage wearing skimpy, revealing outfits. Past series have proved most people don't agree with this.

Yeah, I was like "what the... he cant be serious."
Good thing he is not into marketing for real.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
My attempts to E-mail this have bounced both yesterday and today, so I'm posting it here.

I would answer that the most embarrassing anime I admit to watching is Eiken...except that I'm not embarrassed by it. Yes, it is stupid, ridiculous, blatantly pandering fan service trash. Your point being...? No, it's not an Evangelion or a Fullmetal Alchemist, but I think it's a fun watch (cheap fun, mind you, but hey). On the other hand, if you want to talk truly reprehensible viewing, how about The Rapeman Anime Version? Belldandy im Himmel, it's hard to believe that this story was actually written by a woman (Keiko Aizaki). About the only good thing to come out of that was the name Steve Albini chose for the band he led between Big Black (does anybody know what manga was used for the covers of their last album?) and Shellac. "We don't hate vegetarians, we just think they're funny."
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I will say this:

The Scifi Channel (It's Skiffy no matter how much you try to be SyFy).......is a crazed, abusive network that frequently shoots itself in the foot by poorly promoting and airing shows and interfering at all levels; they're morons.

Adult Swim....I *disagree* with Adult Swim often, but I never think they're irrational, crazy people; Scifi was dumb enough to cancel shows which were doing fairly well.

Adult Swim, meanwhile, always has actual "reasons" for dropping various anime shows: I mean they run a "list of our ratings last week" during their bumper ads, pointing out that statistically, ratings for various anime series are very low, and therefore unsustainable, and they have to let them go. Now I can understand that and I can see why they do it.

The problem is ultimately that you have to "prime the pump": you only get more anime viewers by running more anime to "recruit" them, otherwise the system spirals down the drain to nothing.

Nonetheless, I understand *why* they aren't running as much anime, it's expensive relative to its actual ratings.

Maybe we can complain that they need to promote it more, better timeslots, I don't know; the point is really that the recession is making times hard all around, and I can understand the need for belt-tightening, NOW more than in 2006.

I read a report a few weeks ago, that the "glory days of anime on Adult Swim" were actually subsidized by the anime companies themselves -- that is to say, the only anime shows Adult Swim hang onto (albeit they've finished and they marathon them in dead air time late Saturday/early Sunday)...are hits like Death Note or Ghost in the Shell that could sustain their own ratings.

Niche anime shows like Witch Hunter Robin etc. all the other ones...they really didn't make enough ratings even in their heyday to justify their own existence. Rather, the anime distribution companies would basically "split the difference"; if an anime show only made $10 in ratings revenue when Family Guy would have made $20, the anime company would PAY Adult Swim another $10 to make up for that.

Basically, anime at the time was a really long commercial, run if not at a loss than at least at a low profit margin.....a long commercial to try to promote the DVDs.

And for a time this worked.

But then the giant overspeculation boom of 2004-2005 by Geneon and ADV came; and when that bubble burst in 2006, suddenly anime companies couldn't afford to subsidize their series on Adult Swim anymore.

I always wondered by anime started really getting back on Adult Swim in mid-to-late 2006 when I became a senior in college; now I know why: that's when they simply couldn't afford to keep running much of it.

So it's really linked to the state of the economy as a whole and the anime industry in particular, and while I'm UPSET that Adult Swim doesn't run more anime....because I feel that running more will win more fans to watch it, it's a cycle.....nonetheless I can understand how Adult Swim as rational people make the choices they make.

Nonetheless, I'm REALLY annoyed at the teasing of anime fans they do in the bumpers; we dont' share their snarky sense of humor all the time, and it may originally have been "Haha look at the anime fans explode on the forums when we tease them" but HOW IS THAT A BUSINESS STRATEGY?!
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

The contractual obligations are strongly hinted at with the decision to put Code Geass and Moribito premieres on at 4 AM. That smacks of, "We have to show it, but we don't want to." We're seeing very few new shows because the ratings are bad, but they're holding onto some simply because I think they're afraid of totally losing those viewers. The general vibe I get from the boards over there is that a lot of the anime viewers are still watching and also tuning in for the comedy shows, but if they lose everything then they're totally done with AS. The numbers might not be huge, but they're definitely dedicated. Also, with Moribito, if it really has been bombing hard, then they would have dropped it when they got stopped at episode 10. The delay would have given them the perfect excuse to just not continue. It's possible that the ratings for Saturday in general just aren't so hot no matter what and that has become accepted (most channels seem to have times where their programming suggests this) but normally if a network has a stinker on their hands they get rid of it ASAP and don't just let the show continue.

I will also add that it is sad for me because I am yet another one of the people here who really got into Anime because CN and AS had it on frequently.

I'm almost done with them. I watch Bleach, Moribito, and Venture Brothers (when it's new). And I DVR all of them so I don't have to stay up all night, or watch any of their crap "comedy" shows that come on before.

I think it's really sad how they treat anime and anime fans there, because if it weren't for anime fans, there probably wouldn't BE any Adult Swim. I still remember when all they had were Saturday nights, and it was almost all anime, in their regular hours. I watched every week.

Oh, I think someone mentioned watching Outlaw Star on AS. Outlaw Star was actually shown on Toonami, whoever that was who mentioned that.

Quote:
but there's a dedicated market for shoujo manga in America. Unfortunately though, that market hasn't really translated over into the realm of anime. By and large, shoujo anime just dies when it's released on DVD shelves

I wonder.... Perhaps the market for shojo manga (teenage girls and young women) is OK with going into a bookstore and buying and reading manga, but is not OK going into a Best Buy or somewhere and buying anime DVDs.

jr0904 wrote:

Also it's not AS fault that thay have really crappy timeslots.They have to abide by the FCC's Rules & regulations,otherwise they would've had eailer timeslots which is unfortunate cause it's those bad timelines that killed most anime that shows on AS.

Sure, but the regulations don't say you can only show that stuff at 2 in the morning. AS has to start at 11 pm eastern because of those regulations, so anything shown after that is OK. Which doesn't provide an excuse for the horrible early morning time slots.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
_V_ has a point on SyFy. All the hate is focused on Adult Swim, when they treat anime far better than SyFy. The only thing SyFy does better is airing anime an hour or 2 earlier, and on a weekday. Other than that? Nothing.

SyFy doesn't promote the AniMonday block or anime outside the AniMonday block AT ALL. Adult Swim at least has promos for Bleach all the time. SyFy doesn't show off ratings for anime. Adult Swim does it weekly. And lastly, the commercials. SyFy airs 3 commercials per show, and cuts important plot scenes to fit those commercials in. Adult Swim only airs one commercial per show, and no content is cut from the shows as a result.

Both networks cut the EDs for time, but AS at least shows them on-screen visible for us nuts who like to see which VAs played who. SyFy scrunches the ED into a tiny sidebar where you can't read the text at all(and often making us miss important events shown during the now-scrunched credits).

So yeah, why all the focus on AS hate and no hate for SyFY? Adult Swim at least keeps their anime in one piece, and shows a bit of respect for the content of each show(if not for the fans themselves). SyFy just goes through the motions and doesn't care how much of the show is actually comprehensible and intact in one piece, so long as they get the show on tv.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
The only thing AS gets is money from ad-revenue which apparently for anime is low.

Sounds like, if it's just too small a market for normal advertising revenue to make sense, maybe the system as a whole needs to change.

Instead of channels like AS buying shows in the hopes of ad revenue, the people who do own the DVD/merchandise rights and who'll make money off that could pay AS (or other channels) to air it, i.e. they'd sponsor their own show, maybe put it in the same (relatively) inexpensive middle-of-the-night timeslots as infomericals, and just advertise their own products (DVDs, soundtracks, books, whatever) during the breaks, basically use TV as a promotion to sell the DVDs and related stuff.

That's just not really the way TV works. Even assuming Funimation or Bandai or Viz had the money to buy that time, I doubt AS would sell it.

And by the time you've put together a dub and thrown a few ads together to promote it, you're tapped out for investment and you MIGHT be lucky to break even on a show.

So where is this magical money coming from?
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
_V_ has a point on SyFy. All the hate is focused on Adult Swim, when they treat anime far better than SyFy. The only thing SyFy does better is airing anime an hour or 2 earlier, and on a weekday. Other than that? Nothing.

SyFy doesn't promote the AniMonday block or anime outside the AniMonday block AT ALL. Adult Swim at least has promos for Bleach all the time. SyFy doesn't show off ratings for anime. Adult Swim does it weekly. And lastly, the commercials. SyFy airs 3 commercials per show, and cuts important plot scenes to fit those commercials in. Adult Swim only airs one commercial per show, and no content is cut from the shows as a result.

Both networks cut the EDs for time, but AS at least shows them on-screen visible for us nuts who like to see which VAs played who. SyFy scrunches the ED into a tiny sidebar where you can't read the text at all(and often making us miss important events shown during the now-scrunched credits).

So yeah, why all the focus on AS hate and no hate for SyFY? Adult Swim at least keeps their anime in one piece, and shows a bit of respect for the content of each show(if not for the fans themselves). SyFy just goes through the motions and doesn't care how much of the show is actually comprehensible and intact in one piece, so long as they get the show on tv.

It was these reason why anime on the Sci Fi channel went on a long hiatus for almost 20 years. Unfortunately the timeslots is the one thing that sci fi has over AS cause it has more FCC privilages.

What would really help Adult Swim is that if they have the same privilages as the IFC Channel and the now extinct International Channel which showed series like El Hazard and Fushi Yugi intact. Now that would be really interesting if that ever happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:

I'm sorry but just no. Adult Swim doesn't treat anime better then Sci-Fi, they treat it much much worse. For one thing Sci-Fi doesn't drop series (and if they were to it wouldn't be because someone who worked at the station didn't personally like a show (Kim Manning at Adult Swim - "Wahh I don't like Case Closed, let's drop the show" Rolling Eyes ). Another thing is the great time slot they give anime, like you said. And they never move around their shows, or times or whatever. With Adult Swim you never know what time they are ganna show what show until they come up with it randomly. They keep changing when they show their stuff like mainiacs (11:00, no 11:30, no 3:00!) .

AND I don't know what time you watch that channel, but Sci-Fi does advertise anime ("just f'ing watch ani-moday", or whatever), and their always advertsing the DVD's/itune downloads for Manga Ents shows. Which is much more then what CN/Adult Swim does. It's the DVD sales that's most important, and I'm glad someone is advertising on TV still If people don't know there are DVD's of anime, then they won't buy it now will they? On the other hand I haven't seen one add for any of Adult Swims anime series, unless it was when the shows were about to air anyway (but I do remember in 2004 they used to advertise their shows much more...).

And showing your raitings on national TV is not at all a good idea for networks to do. That's data that could help a competitor easily. It reaks of unprofessionalism. I can't recall ANY other US TV station randomly reminding viewers how no one is watching their shows...Sure it helps give us fans some info...but it's not how things are really done.

And yes Sci-Fi has more commercials, but this means they have more faith people are watching, and also they are all very short. Personally I like short commercials over never-ending commercials. So I rather liek the way they handle their commercials, and dislike Adult Swim having never-ending commercial in the middle. But that's personal preference of course.

And Adult Swim cuts content out as well. Ever watch the Paranoia Agent DVD's? There's a lot they cut off that series...in fatc they even cut some stuff off Cowboy Bebop. So both channels make some cuts here and there. So that's a scratch really it is.

AND what else does Sci-Fi have going for it? They treat anime, and the viewers with respect, and they never spit on anyone. They know how to run a channel. They are professionals. And I'll take that over immature high school drop outs in Atlanta trying to run a TV station anyday. Plus I tend to like their choices (well Manga Ent's choices anyway) in anime over what Adult Swim gets. Again personal preference.

I'm not saying Sci-Fi is perfect, they are flawed, but I'll take professionalism, courtesy, and good time slots, over whatever-the-hell anyone thinks Adult Swim has going for it anyday. Confused
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Bridget Hoffman wasn't even using an alias for operation condor, her name is right there at the end when they roll the english dub credits. But I can't find those english language credits on IMDB.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4