• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds X TV/OAV, 5 Initial D Anime Stages

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:44 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I am betting that Aaron is Ling.

This.

As soon as I read that he'll have a "big part" later on, this is the character that instantly leapt to mind, and hearing his voice on the Premium OVA collection, I'm inclined to believe he'll do rather well at it, too.

And Funi, hurry up and announce that you'll be releasing FMA:B on BD already. I know you wanna, I know I'll buy it, so do it already! Cool
Kasakitis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:48 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy to hear that Funimation is releasing all of it Initial D! Now I can finally complete my collection. Since I never watch dubbed versions I don't really care a re-dub or not, but I can see how if Funimation is even remotely serious about releasing it they'd want to change the dub. I have checked out the dub on the Tokyopop DVDs just to see if it really is as bad as people say, and it really is truly, spectacularly bad. It would be stupid of Funimation to keep that and then change the dub-cast and type of language used midway through the show. Since the current dub is made for the tricked out version, I assume it could have needed some tinkering to fit with the original video as well.
And as to the whole speculation if it's worth it or not to put the money into a re-dub, who can tell? I'm guessing they think it'll sell or they wouldn't release it.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
Yes now I can buy X at a reasonable price!!! I love you Funi Very Happy
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
nymeria wrote:
X seems to have a UK release planned for next month too - I saw that before coming here and thought it was slightly odd timing, so I guess that there's been a recent license expiration or something.

X was announced by MVM back in May. X has never been licensed or released here (other than the movie) and Geneon has never had a presence here (although I believe Pioneer once did, a long time ago) - all the Geneon USA shows that have been released here have been licensed (or sub-licensed) by other companies, like MVM (and a lot by ADV UK back in the day). The license hasn't necessarily expired since FUNimation have been re-licensing as well as distributing Geneon shows for a while.

configspace wrote:
Is the remastered version they are rescueing aka X - Remix?
And not the original Geneon/Pioneer singles release, right?

In was wondering the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I'll admit, I'd love to see Funimation rescue "Armitage III". I saw Armitage III: Poly-matrix years ago on Sci-Fi, and I loved it. It was my first real taste of anime, and I'd be interested in a re-release.
Poly-Matrix was just a bastardised chopped remix of the original 4 episode OVA. If you want the real thing find the OVA, (the dub is far better), and the later Dual-Matrix movie sequel. Wink
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm only looking forward to FMA:B and maybe Inital D.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
mastertr wrote:
Valetina wrote:
About time Funi got X, but what about Trigun and Chobits.

Let's not forget about Cardcaptor Sakura either Wink

yeah I hope they get CCS too, but I doubt it since the series was a sub release only unless they plan on dubbing it. I did find the official rare out of print DVDs on Ebay and the entire series was $1,000+.
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
is it just me, or does FUNi have a nag for taking bad dubs, and saving them? hey FUNi, do me a favor and go take a visit over to 4kids, they have plenty of dubs you guys can save Very Happy.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Funi should also try to get other series licensed by Tokyopop and redub them, especially Rave Master which really need a dub remake really badly.

Technically, FUNimation has the rights to distribute whatever anime titles Tokyopop still has. Tokyopop signed over distribution rights to FUNimation like two years ago. The only titles I know of that got re-released were GTO, and Initial D (with the original dub).
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I am betting that Aaron is Ling. The voice fits, and it's the "Big Role" which is male. It's also good to see that Funimation's isn't making the same mistake the Japanese made by unecessary recasting just so they could be different. I mean Travis Willingham is perfect for Roy Mustang.

Aaron as Ling sounds like a great idea!
Sorce

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Hopefully FUNi goes the smart route and just does season dvd sets, thinpack it right away and I will preorder the stuff. Very Happy
Same here, that'd be the best (read: perfect) solution. The series itself probably won't sell that well, at least compared to anything FMA, but it should have some moderate numbers.

I'm glad FUNi isn't just sitting on it like I'd heard a few months back; they weren't going to release Fourth Stage because of lackluster sales of the Tokyopop dub.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Why should we have to put up with a "tricked out" version of an anime that served no purpose other than to cash in on The Fast and the Furious craze?
That irritated the hell out of me, if for no other reason than Initial D is kind of an Anti-TFatF.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
It's nice for FMA fans to know that they got most of the original cast back. I think I even have seen on YouTube panels where Aaron said he knew might not be returning as Al. However, at least he will be in the show again.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they're continuing Initial D. And I really hope they get a better voice cast cus the Tokyo Pop version was one of the worst dubs I ever heard.
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
I'm glad they're continuing Initial D. And I really hope they get a better voice cast cus the Tokyo Pop version was one of the worst dubs I ever heard.

even worse than One Piece?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
2. Even if I grant you that Initial D is so much more popular than I'm led to believe, how does that translate to making a profit on a dub for 60+ episodes? Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you defended ADV's decision to not dub Clannad (a 50 episode series) as a good financial decision? And they're both niche titles (moe and sports/racing respectively). So explain to me how FUNi will make a profit on this if you're so confident that they will.

Indeed. Car racing is as niche as moe which raises the question: when exactly will Vin Diesel's moe movie finally come out?

I guess though that Initial D is about Japanese racing which is a lot more niche. That stuff would never fly in Americ...ah...never mind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8