• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: British Anime Net Dancer Beckii Cruel Gets DVD in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Killtheshrew wrote:
Wow you lot sound like such lovely people.

Thanks for the remark. Commenting about youtube and all that crap was always something to avoid. But this time it was about anime and I got a little carried.
Usually I'd just say "that's your life, mess with it as much as you want".
But I still don't understand what's so jealous about badmouthing something so ridiculous. Well, that's your brain, god knows how it works.
Wow sarcasm... nice. I only said it was bordering on jealous because I couldn't think of many other reasons why you would make such pessimistic comments. Jealousy was the first that sprang to mind because the other reasons I came up with were worse and far more pathetic. I just think you all seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder that's all. You just seem to come across as if you think you're above this kind of expression of fandom. It's always hard to tell from a text based reply so if I was mistaken then I'm sorry but I still think you're taking a very harsh view on a topic that dosn't seem worthy of such criticism. That's all.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

But I still don't understand what's so jealous about badmouthing something so ridiculous.

Yes ridiculous. Thats definitely what this is. British anime net dancer... Rolling Eyes
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Criticism? I didn't say anything about her performance, but she's definitely not even close to a professional dancer. Or rather, she's like a 8 years old kid randomly dancing, in my opinion.
Sarcasm? That's not it, I don't use indirect sarcasm.
In the end, I won't even remember about this girl after a night of sleep.
Let her have her fun and post her videos. But as long as you post your videos in pages like youtube I doubt you'd ever get what you're after.
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Criticism? I didn't say anything about her performance
"I say she should've taken some dancing lessons first." What was this then if not criticism on her performance? Anyway my opinion is clearly in the minority so that means it dosn't matter anyway, right?

What I'm more worried about is what sort of market is this DVD going to be geared towards? The thought of some 30+ year old man owning a DVD of a 14 year old girl dancing in her bedroom really, really creeps me out.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
That's a tip, not a criticism. Wasn't that quite clear?
I have this habit of talking directly to the person in question... despite knowing that she won't answer.
Either way, that's as much time as I'll spend talking about something I didn't care much to begin with.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Killtheshrew wrote:
The thought of some 30+ year old man owning a DVD of a 14 year old girl dancing in her bedroom really, really creeps me out.

You do know that there are DVDs with much more inappropriate content featuring girls her age and younger sold to 30+ year old men in Japan, right?

Killtheshrew wrote:
Wow you lot sound like such lovely people. When did this place manage to get so stuck up it's own orifice that it feels the need to make petty (bordering jealous) remarks about a 14 year old school girl's little bit of success?

People moan when anime fans get treated like crap from people who don't know anything about it... but if you treat your own like that then I can sort of see why. Man we deserve everything we get don't we?

I'm not sure if you're also referring to my post, but I felt the need to comment anyway. It's hard to get excited about someone gaining success in such a manner, anime fan or not, though I wasn't particularly trying to be catty about it.
I don't think this is the most positive attention for a girl her age, and I think my criticism is more aimed towards her Japanese fanbase for giving in to something like this. It's not surprising, though. It's the same fanbase idols get even when they can barely dance (or sing). Smile Again, as long as they're young and cute...!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Killtheshrew wrote:
The thought of some 30+ year old man owning a DVD of a 14 year old girl dancing in her bedroom really, really creeps me out.

You do know that there are DVDs with much more inappropriate content featuring girls her age and younger sold to 30+ year old men in Japan, right?

Unfortunately I suspected as much. What really gets me though is I doubt her parents are quite so versed in the interests of the men this DVD would interest. Do they have any idea at all? They might be under the impression of it being a DVD aimed at younger kids, to think this may be the case gives me the shivers, to have no clue what type of person might be ogling their daughter is very worrying. People might say it dosn't matter as it's only a DVD but I would still want to know if it were my daughter.
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see her and velveetaah (the original!) do an anime dance off in Akibahara! And the judge can be Applemilk!

Really, if that's what she wants (she does like anime, right?) then good for her. Stuff like this doesn't seem like a big deal, though. I mean, what ever happened to those anime singers that won a contest and did a show in Japan? They did preform, didn't they? Not a peep from them since, but who knows? Hey, at least they had fun.

Honestly, though, the best anime dancers are the ones that cover Idolm@ster Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Predatory_Instinct

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
Meh. Never even heard of her. As for her dancing, isn't that how most 14 year old's dance?
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
Never heard of her myself. The dancing is alright nothing to get excited for especially at her age, I have seen better. I think it is A young girl an B foreign >.> Like that other girl who does dances too *shrug* Man this makes you wonder what else will get popular there LOL
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
I agree with Killtheshrew's comments about how a lot of anime fans seem to be jealous whenever a positive story comes up in the news about them.

Is it any wonder we have a bad reputation because a lot of us [especially the ones belonging to the older generation] come across as being pessimistic and selfish toward the younger generation of fans...

We should remember that we were all newbie fans at one stage or another and we should be encouraging the new generation of fans as they themselves will be the older generation of anime fans.
Help_me_Im_a_n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
I think this girl's parents need to set an appointment with the producer and distributor of this DVD, to see in what kind of stores they will be selling the imagery of their daughter. If she's gonna be shelved right next to "DD-Cup Aoi 13 years old!" idol video, then they better protest all the way to Buckingham palace. This despite my general anti-censorship stance (especially with regards to Equality Now's efforts). In this case (and this case only), Western morality >>> Japanese cultural sensibility.

I'm saying this as a 30-ish otaku. And for the record, I have never heard of this girl until now, and I won't even bother clicking on her youtube links to see what she's about.

In caveman times, I would already be the Village Chief and would have my choice of which girl (who would have just passed through women's initiation rites) to bed. Way to make the likes of me feel edgy whenever talking about teen girls, damn politically correct generation.
Nermal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:14 am Reply with quote
Meh...I prefer the zombie ver. of hare hare yukai.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
egoist wrote:
I say she should've taken some dancing lessons first.

Says on one of her videos that she's done ballet for 10 years.
I'm actually tempted to get the video just because she's British.

I have to go do British things, like drink cups of tea, and eat bangers and mash...

...because I'm British!

/LittleKuriboh Laughing

As for the dancing, meh. If she wants to make a spectacle of herself and somebody actually wants to pay for it, that's cool, but I don't feel obligated to like it just because it's an anime song she's dancing to.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
Help_me_Im_a_n00b wrote:
...to see in what kind of stores they will be selling the imagery of their daughter.

I doubt it'll happen. Dollars speak in volume. Morality remains silenced.

Besides, what's the problem of a grown man ogling a 14 year old girl? This country's famous for pushing this down the throats of the audience, or are people truly believing the success of Britney Spears is based on her music?

I remember the "countdown" clock for her 18th birthday (as well as the Olsen twins).

As a 42 year old male, I'll be defending my right to "ogle" until I die. For me, it's an inherit instinct to judge what I think is pretty. Age is irrelevant.

While I'm not the type to buy Britney's CDs to get sexually aroused, I can't ignore the fact the girl is good looking. Most agree, which is why she does well to sell those albums.

And don't think this is just one sided. Anyone remember New Kids on the Block? With all the girls raving about them, not once did I hear them discuss the group's music.

Our entertainment industry isn't the only one pushing this level of sexuality to its audience. Japan has the all-girl group AKB48 and I seriously challenge anyone to tell me they're selling just music.

I would appreciate if people would knock off the indirect reference at being some sick-minded pedophile getting jollies over this girl and her videos.

If she's cute, then so be it. Doesn't mean she's a sexual desire of most who look at her. Bad apples exist, of course, but this ideology of grouping all men within this basket is insulting to us all the while young girls scream at the mention of the Jonas brothers but are dismissed because they're girls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4