• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Anime Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
skettlre wrote:
im glad naruto will be shown on adult swim

You should re-read the information. AS has no current plans for Naruto.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
While we're on the subject, could someone provide with a *legitimate* reason Naruto should be on Adult Swim, and nothing akin to, "TEHOMG TEHY CAN SHO IT UNCUT!!!!!111"?

I haven't seen any of it, but from what I hear it's just another shounen action series that would be quite at home on Toonami between Dragonball XYZ and Yu Yu Hakusho.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I like Case Closed. It's too bad there won't be anymore new episodes on adult swim. At least now I know what the next 200 dvd's I have to buy will be...

As for Naruto, I really don't care what programming block gets it. I mean, its not that great of a show and there's not a lot to edit out anyway...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
While we're on the subject, could someone provide with a *legitimate* reason Naruto should be on Adult Swim, and nothing akin to, "TEHOMG TEHY CAN SHO IT UNCUT!!!!!111"?

I haven't seen any of it, but from what I hear it's just another shounen action series that would be quite at home on Toonami between Dragonball XYZ and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Well, Cartoon Network pulled a Mea Culpa with Rurouni Kenshin and said that they should have aired it on Adult Swim and not tried to edit it down for Toonami consumption. Naruto has a comprable violence level to Rurouni Kenshin, so if they did license it they'd probably put it on AS just to be on the safe side.

Also, and this may just be me, I honestly think bladed weapons play a role in it. Its okay to show people pounding the living pulp out of each other with their fists, but the second a sword or a kunai or a shuriken comes into the mix (see Rurouni Kenshin), the landscape changes a bit. And there are lots of kunai and shurikens in Naruto. And they hit people. And people bleed.

Not to mention there are some pretty weird characters in Naruto compared to other "fighting" series. You've got some serious psychopaths, murderers, people that have bugs living under their skin, children who are inhabited by destructive demonic forces, etc.

Its not like a mind bendingly "adult" series by any stretch of the imagination, but it could possibly fill the Inuyasha programming role to some degree.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
To tell the truth, I'm not really surprised Conan got cancelled. FUNimation saw how well DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho were doing, figured that they could market any other 100+ episode show as
easily, and picked up Conan with the hopes that its length would guarantee an instant profit, when it might actually have resulted in a drain on their resources. I think this incident's going to convince a number of anime companies to reign in their spending, and set up focus groups instead. That is, if they actually care about their investments enough to insure that whatever's popular in Japan is also popular in America, before they decide to throw money at it.
emory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
To tell the truth, I'm not really surprised Conan got cancelled. FUNimation saw how well DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho were doing, figured that they could market any other 100+ episode show as
easily, and picked up Conan with the hopes that its length would guarantee an instant profit, when it might actually have resulted in a drain on their resources. I think this incident's going to convince a number of anime companies to reign in their spending, and set up focus groups instead. That is, if they actually care about their investments enough to insure that whatever's popular in Japan is also popular in America, before they decide to throw money at it.

I'm surprised they didn't learn after Lupin. Geneon expected that to be big cheese and go on forever, and adult swim shot it down after 26 episodes. The fact that something's popular in Japan won't mean it's popular in America. I mean, look at One Piece.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Inuyasha is kind of a fluke. They were originally going to put it on Toonami, but the S&P suits said they couldn't have the whole "shot by an arrow and pinned to a tree" thing, which would have been nearly impossible to work around. And the show just happened to find enough of an auidence to keep it on the block, unlike Yu Yu Hakusho.

And also, Viz had already been pushing Inuyasha to an older audience in the first place with the manga, which carries an OT rating. Naruto is part of their Shounen Jump line, and carries just a T, I believe.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
You guys realize that after One Piece, Naruto is most likely going to 4Kids... 4Kids, i should think, has a lot more money than Funi and would thus be the highest bidder...

And after what happened to Detective Conan *mourns*, even if Funi/CN GOT Naruto, it would almost 98% get edited and put on Toonami.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You guys realize that after One Piece, Naruto is most likely going to 4Kids... 4Kids, i should think, has a lot more money than Funi and would thus be the highest bidder...

I would make the assumption that One Piece was not a small investment on 4Kids behalf. I imagine they chose one or the other when they got One Piece. I can't see 4Kids getting Naruto this year, especially if One Piece doesn't turn into a marketing juggernaut.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how you could say that Naruto belongs on Toonami-the show is way more mature and intellegent than say, Inu Yasha or Case Closed, and there's some pretty mature stuff that's central to the plot-not just blood and fan service, but emotional themes of childhood trauma, death, revenge and general unpleasantness. I'd say Naruto is about at the same level of maturity as Kenshin-and CN has stated repeatadly that if they got Kenshin today, it would go straight to Adult Swim.

The main reason you won't see Naruto on Toonami, though, is because Toonami's regressed to aiming at a younger demo. If Big O, Kenshin, Outlaw Star or Tenchi preimered today, none of them would go to Toonami-they'd head straight to AS, which gets better ratings anyway. Conversly, you probably wouldn't see kiddiefied crap like DICE on the old Toonami. The only halfway intellegent show to premiere on Toonami Saturdays was Gundam Seed, and it was kicked off the schedule and moved to late nights after a couple of months. CN seems to be less willing to premiere "inbetween" shows on the new Toonami, preferring to err on the side of caution and stick them on AS for one very important reason-kids AND adults watch AS, but adults don't watch Toonami; at least not in significant numbers. So if you've got a show that's been proven to appeal to both groups, and that (unlike Lupin or Conan) already has a huge following in the US, you'd be an idiot to cut its potential viewers in half by putting it on Toonami.

As for editing, I'm not all that concenered; no matter how little editing is done people are going to be crying bloody murder about minor dialouge nuances or starting petitions to protest CN not airing the show in raw japanese without commericals. So long as 4Kids doesen't get a hold of it, I'm confident it'll turn out okay.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
This news about them cancelling Detective Conan pisses me off, to an extent I haven't been since they cancelled Lupin. They did the same ****ing thing they did with Lupin: give it a horrible time slot, then proceed to jump around it's airing time. It was death for Lupin, so why in the hell did they think it would equal success for Conan?

I'm really starting to ****ing hate them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
emory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
This news about them cancelling Detective Conan pisses me off, to an extent I haven't been since they cancelled Lupin. They did the same ****ing thing they did with Lupin: give it a horrible time slot, then proceed to jump around it's airing time. It was death for Lupin, so why in the hell did they think it would equal success for Conan?

I'm really starting to ****ing hate them.

Lupin's premieres were always at 12 AM weeknights. What were you watching?
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
No more Big O is good news (yes, this is coming from a rather big fan of the show, too). The show's reached a definitive conclusion, any more would ruin it.

If you think Big O came to a "definitive conclusion" can you explain it to me, please. I TOTALLY didn't understand it. I thought I understood it once, but then thought about it more and decided I didn't understand it at all?

For instance, what was with the symbolism of the tomato? Or the bald headed boys in the fire? Or the factory producing Roger Smith androids? Okay, I got that the city was called Paradigm (meaning a preconceived notion), so from the very beginning the theme of the show was that things aren't what they are believed to be. But WHAT was everything really? Am I to believe that EVERYONE in the city was really an android, and therefore the cataclysm from 40 years ago was a massive memory wipe and reboot?

To me, it just seemed like the ending of the Matrix Trilogy. People awaken from the elaborately created dream and then the program has to begin anew. There's gotta be more to it than that!

welli can give you my understanding of the tomato refference
its like homecooked mash potatoes to us
those boxes with flakes that say it taste like homecooked
so few people prepare anything that is home cooked that the original taste is forgotten and however the box of flakes taste is the new homecooked
i have this old site http://www.sixfortyfive.com/bigo/wtf/
it has plot analysis for each episode its old but it might help
i myself read very little from it
i'd rather interpet it myself but i was curious to know what others thought
i don't think everyone was a android
i think that was just symbolism for the event to be manufactured if they were androids then why did most just disappear instead of blow up
big ear was an android but i don't think roger was or maybe it was playing around with the idea of robots so real that they wouldn't know they were robots but i don't think thats likely
i don't wanna take to much space so i'll stop here
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow...this topic grew very quick without my noticing it. Just my two cents on a couple of things...

Nagisa wrote:
the origin of the "laser gun" phenomenon that's seen a big comeback in Gundam SEED, among other things

It's really not that big of a comeback. For about the first 30 episodes, the laser gun editing was, as far as I can tell, not there. Then, it showed up in a few episodes, but the editing disappeared in some flashbacks to those scenes, and sometimes disappeared then reappeared in the same episode. It's almost as inconsistent as the editing was on Rurouni Kenshin.

skettlre wrote:
too bad they decided to stop conan but its got like 400+eps already and like 6 movies, its way too long.

I'd like to point out that Dragonball (including Dragonball Z) had 444 episodes, 17 (including the original DB) movies, two TV specials, and a really crappy OVA. This is not to mention an additional 64 episodes and one more movie from Dragonball GT. Cartoon Network doesn't have a problem with long series. Based on this, I don't think Conan was dropped solely because of its length, but rather because it didn't gather as much of a fanbase as they had hoped, which is why they're not requesting any more episodes (unfortunately).

sinistertaco wrote:
Its okay to show people pounding the living pulp out of each other with their fists, but the second a sword or a kunai or a shuriken comes into the mix (see Rurouni Kenshin), the landscape changes a bit. And there are lots of kunai and shurikens in Naruto. And they hit people. And people bleed.

This is a really good point. DBZ was mostly punching and energy blasts, which is why some of the more "violent" scenes could get away with merely editing out the blood. And where else have we seen this sort of fighting? In recent American TV shows like Superman, Teen Titans, and He-Man (did his sword ever really cut anything in a manner that a real sword should?) That's why Yu Yu Hakusho could survive on Toonami with a bit of editing, while Naruto would recieve Kenshin-level editing.

emory wrote:
The fact that something's popular in Japan won't mean it's popular in America. I mean, look at One Piece.

One Piece is not doing good in America due to the fact that the people who haven't heard of the show weren't exposed to good marketing for it, while the people who have heard of the show refuse to watch it because 4Kids is dubbing, rewriting, and butchering their beloved anime. I still say it would have been a better candidate for Funimation and Miguzi/Toonami as "the next DBZ" (except better).

[quote="minakichan"You guys realize that after One Piece, Naruto is most likely going to 4Kids... 4Kids, i should think, has a lot more money than Funi and would thus be the highest bidder...

And after what happened to Detective Conan *mourns*, even if Funi/CN GOT Naruto, it would almost 98% get edited and put on Toonami.[/quote]
Why does everyone lump One Piece and Naruto into the same licensing bunch? Just because they were two highly desirable, much sought after, fan-obsessed over series that took (and are taking) forever to get licensed does not mean that the same company will buy both series. One Piece got bought by 4Kids because, even though there was stuff to edit and change, its overall "kiddyness" in their eyes meant that they could sell it to kids on FoxBox (or 4Kids TV, or whatever they're calling it). Naruto has a much higher level of violence than One Piece, is not as "cartoony" as One Piece, and, unlike One Piece, has swords, shuriken, and other sharp, pointy things that make people bleed. As stated above in sinistertaco's post, it's okay to show people punching each other, but not okay to show them cutting each other to bits with swords. And why would it get heavily edited if it went to someone other than 4Kids? If Funi got it, it would do one of two things: 1) do extremely minimal editing and put it towards the end of Toonami or on Adult Swim, or 2) do Y7 (though barely) level editing and put it on earlier on Toonami, then release an edited, dub-only DVD and an unedited DVD, like they're doing with Yu Yu Hakusho.

Just my two cents...
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Da Games Elite wrote:

If Naruto was ever in Toonami, it would be similar to DBZ in action, but all the good stuff (nearly all the action) would be harvested out of the series. Anime cry

Now I actually have seen the original Japanese cut of the Dragonball Z series, and what is removed in terms of violence is only... well... blood. The other changes, such as music, voices and what not were the things that got most fans panties in a bunch.

If Naruto only has blood that could possibly make it in anyway offensive, then it's a good candidate to Toonami.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7