• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Henry Goto, President, Aniplex of America

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I like Aniplex's titles, and the prices are usually not as bad as most people say, but Bakemonogatari is still hurting. It was such a fantastic series, but I just cannot justify spending over $150 for a release that has nothing more than the series and a little booklet.

It's still a good price even without the booklet. I mean, the show itself is great, easily five times better than the typical mediocre fare that can be bought for US$30. Therefore the dollar-per-unit-of-quality (A.K.A. value for money) of Bakemonogatari is just as good - if not outright better - than most other releases.

PMMM was another fantastic release, sold at half the price it could have been. I mean, a mere US$225 to own the dubbed Blu-Ray + DVD LE of one of the best Anime shows ever made; it's a bargain no matter how you slice it. People have argued that they can buy nine or ten lesser series for the same price, but those titles combined would not match the quality of PMMM. No two titles are the same and people should stop comparing the overall price and start comparing value for money.

I can't say all of AoA's releases are worth buying; Garden of Sinners was a poorly-written movie series and not even worth US$100 let alone whatever the heck it was. That said it sold out, so obviously die-hard fans were willing to dig deeper than the quality of the title should have necessitated. Companies don't price on what things ought to be, they price on what they think fans will pay. This means there will be rip-offs, true, but it also allows room for good bargains like PMMM and Bakemonogatari.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Ha, just crossed my mind... What's the reason behind seiyuu event DVDs being the same price as anime DVDs? I'm sure they've more than made up the cost of holding the event via tickets and event merchandise sales. Curious.

Good question. If it's anything like mainstream music, I'd guess that ticket and event merchandise sales revenue mostly go to the seiyuu (and their agencies), so the video/record labels have to rely on DVD sales.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
Ha, just crossed my mind... What's the reason behind seiyuu event DVDs being the same price as anime DVDs? I'm sure they've more than made up the cost of holding the event via tickets and event merchandise sales. Curious.

Good question. If it's anything like mainstream music, I'd guess that ticket and event merchandise sales revenue mostly go to the seiyuu (and their agencies), so the video/record labels have to rely on DVD sales.

But not all events have a DVD release.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It's still a good price even without the booklet. I mean, the show itself is great, easily five times better than the typical mediocre fare that can be bought for US$30. Therefore the dollar-per-unit-of-quality (A.K.A. value for money) of Bakemonogatari is just as good - if not outright better - than most other releases.

There's also the in-character commentaries for every episode, all written by Nisioisin. That's what swung it for me. One of the best things (if not the best thing) about Bakemonogatari is the witty dialogue exchanges between the characters, and getting another 15 episodes worth of that was enough to convince me that the Aniplex USA release was worth the price.

Still hurts the wallet some, mind, and will sting even more when I get an inevitable customs charge on top...
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote
ElectricDork wrote:
There's also the in-character commentaries for every episode, all written by Nisioisin. That's what swung it for me. One of the best things (if not the best thing) about Bakemonogatari is the witty dialogue exchanges between the characters, and getting another 15 episodes worth of that was enough to convince me that the Aniplex USA release was worth the price.

Still hurts the wallet some, mind, and will sting even more when I get an inevitable customs charge on top...

I've heard about those as well, and am pretty eager to watch/listen to them.

WORKING!! had character commentaries too but NISA didn't include them on their release.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
ElectricDork wrote:

Wow, that is a fantastic feature. Now I'm even more keen to get my mitts on this show than I was before, which is saying something since I was already a huge fan of it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
PMMM was another fantastic release, sold at half the price it could have been. I mean, a mere US$225 to own the dubbed Blu-Ray + DVD LE of one of the best Anime shows ever made; it's a bargain no matter how you slice it.

Um, no, that's just your fanboyism talking. As much as I respect the series, too (It will certainly make my Top 5 list for the year for American releases), there's no way that even its deluxe Blu-Ray releases warrant $150 per volume prices. I thought they were ridiculously overpriced at $75, and I only bought the first one because I wanted the soundtrack - and I regretted it, since the first set's soundtrack didn't include "Magia," the song I most wanted. I only got the non-LEs BRs for the other two and felt that I was still being burned at their lower base $40 price points. (And no, I didn't pay full price for any of them, but that's beside the point.)

So yeah, put me in the camp which feels that AoA is gouging customers with their prices.

Quote:

People have argued that they can buy nine or ten lesser series for the same price, but those titles combined would not match the quality of PMMM. No two titles are the same and people should stop comparing the overall price and start comparing value for money.

One of the series from the past decade that I would rank equal to or above PMMM on every qualitative measure cost an MSRP of $200 for its entire 26-episode run if one looks at the MSRP for the original DVD singles with 3-4 episodes per disc. Even if you factor in an extra premium for Blu-Ray disks, add in the soundtrack's price separately, and make some allowance for some of the other extras (which, I'll point out, have been available for no extra charge on some other releases), you're still talking about an average per-episode price that's only about 60% of PMMM's - and, again, that's for a series that I would consider to be of equal or greater merit. (And while you might not agree that the series in question is as great as PMMM, it is one that you have rated "Excellent" on your My Anime list.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
and what show would that be Key, you didn't tell us
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
and what show would that be Key, you didn't tell us
$50 on Moribito (which I really need to get around to watching one of these days).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
and I regretted it, since the first set's soundtrack didn't include "Magia," the song I most wanted.

Thats your own fault since the tracklist for those OSTs has been available for over a year, and OP/ED themes are almost never on OSTs anyway.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Why the secrecy Key? Why didn't you just come out and say the title?

Well, I've rated the following twenty-six-episode series as Excellent:

GiTS: SAC
PlanetES
Princess Tutu
Samurai Champloo
Seirei no Moribito
Zipang

I'm going to go with Princess Tutu, since Key is in love with that series. As much as I enjoyed it and respected it (as you would expect from a series rated Excellent), the writing of PMMM is tighter, grander and more polished. The soundtrack and visuals also handily beat Princess Tutu's. The only areas where Princess Tutu is competitive are the characters and - funnily enough - the animation (and PMMM still holds it own on both of them).

PMMM is better, but is it better value for money? I would argue "yes". Of course I would say that, wouldn't I.

Key wrote:
As much as I respect the series, too (It will certainly make my Top 5 list for the year for American releases)...

Only in the top five for the year? What the heck? What other titles could possibly even rival it as the supreme series? Have I been in a coma for the last year and missed something?

PMMM is the second-best title I've ever watched, just behind my beloved RahXephon. Part of me even thinks the two titles should - gasp - share the top spot and be first-equal.

Key wrote:
...there's no way that even its deluxe Blu-Ray releases warrant $150 per volume prices. I thought they were ridiculously overpriced at $75...

Someone's been spoilt by low prices. Yes, it's a higher cost per episode than in the boom years even, but then I don't remember Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (as an example) being so incredible that it blew me away.

What is the average series worth to you? And how much better do you think PMMM is compared to the average FUNi release? If you're willing to pay - say - $45 for a cour of mediocre episodes, then what's wrong with paying five times that amount to own a series more than five times better?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
OP/ED themes are almost never on OSTs anyway.

Aren't the TV-length versions still often on OSTs, or has that general practice been abandoned? I'm buying mostly singles these days, for the themes, so I'm not too certain what's up with the OSTs at the moment.

I wonder if Key looked up the track lists for the CDs that came with the other two volumes after his mistake with the first...
stardf29

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
...we're still talking about this?

Anyways, I only bought the LE for Vol. 3 of Madoka. It's a Masterpiece show for me for sure, but that's only really because of the content of the last volume, particularly the ending.

The rest, well, it's important for setting up the ending, I guess, but I just don't feel like it's worth splurging $150 on both of them. I'm not even sure I want to pay $80 for the two standalone Blu-rays. Hopefully AoA will release a cheaper complete collection somewhere down the line...
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
ElectricDork wrote:

Wow, that is a fantastic feature. Now I'm even more keen to get my mitts on this show than I was before, which is saying something since I was already a huge fan of it.

And, one of the reasons, in my opinion, that what Aniplex USA is charging for their Bake release is well worth it. Really excited to listen and understand these finally after all these years.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
OP/ED themes are almost never on OSTs anyway.

Aren't the TV-length versions still often on OSTs, or has that general practice been abandoned? I'm buying mostly singles these days, for the themes, so I'm not too certain what's up with the OSTs at the moment.

I wonder if Key looked up the track lists for the CDs that came with the other two volumes after his mistake with the first...

It just depends. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

Its not like tracklists are a secret or anything, so its easy to find out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 28