• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Halloween Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladygoddess8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I carved two pumpkins this year. One was practice and the other for the contest but the practice turned out to be pretty cool. So I am glad I could submit both.
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
How do people get such good photos of their pumpkins?? Mine are either too dark or too light and sometimes miss some detail I wish could be seen on a photo.
Mugimaru904

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
Sa-chan66 wrote:
How do people get such good photos of their pumpkins?? Mine are either too dark or too light and sometimes miss some detail I wish could be seen on a photo.

I was wondering the same thing when I was taking pictures of my pumpkin. I tried different ISO settings and filters, but I could not get as much detail as I wanted out of the pictures. I wound up taking around 20 night shots and just sent in the one that looked the best.
RiderG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote
Mugimaru904 wrote:
Sa-chan66 wrote:

I was wondering the same thing when I was taking pictures of my pumpkin. I tried different ISO settings and filters, but I could not get as much detail as I wanted out of the pictures. I wound up taking around 20 night shots and just sent in the one that looked the best.

the trick is just that. take LOTS of pictures, then choose the best out of all of em. i took around 50 shots of mine.

they say you're a good photographer if you get ONE good picture out of an entire roll of film, so just take a lot of pics.
ladygoddess8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
I tried different lighting methods. I used one candle up to 5 candle and also flashlights or christmas lights. I found that the christmas lights worked best though I had to remove about half the strand for the picture to be perfect. I also agree with taking a lot of pictures.
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I've done the same thing. I take tons of pics, put tons of candles in the pumpkin, lid on, lid off, background lights on, diff ISO settings. Even then only one looked decent! Anime smallmouth;; I need a better camera Anime cry
ladygoddess8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I have a digital camera that has a special ISO setting for low lighting that uses no flash nor a really long exposure time. This always gives me the best pictures. The long exposure makes the picture too fuzzy and the flash just looks crappy.
Akukame

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
ladygoddess8 wrote:
I have a digital camera that has a special ISO setting for low lighting that uses no flash nor a really long exposure time. This always gives me the best pictures. The long exposure makes the picture too fuzzy and the flash just looks crappy.

long exposure should only make the picture look fuzzy if you aren't using a camera stand or sitting the camera on a table or something (and maybe a little bit if there is too much light around). Also, the higher the ISO the more grainy the picture will be. But the lower the ISO, the darker the picture will be. So you combat the darkness by increasing the exposure time.

I also think using as much light as possible from the inside will help a lot. My pumpkin was probably in the range of about 2.5 inches thick and I don't think a candle would have done the job I wanted.

1 second exposure vs 15 second exposure (at 50% resolution)

This year I used a 15 second exposure. I didn't have a tripod, but I put the camera flat on a table, and lit the pumpkin with a fluorescent desk lap that has an arm I can tilt into the pumpkin. Lastly, you just need to have the right thickness of the pumpkin. If you're cutting areas completely out, you need to make sure that the light/candle can't be seen through that area (or it will cause glare), and that the pumpkin is still relatively thick, or the uncut area will glow aswell. If you're shaving areas, you need to try to get as even as possible to minimize blotchiness.

Flash always looks bad because the pumpkin is shiny (sorta).
washapa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I had the same problem as a lot of you did with the lighting & the pumpkin. Mine also had a very thick wall so putting a candle in it was totally out of the question, but we found a light bulb attached to an extension cord that worked wonders. So perhaps a tip for anyone for next years competition... Very Happy
I also agree with those of you (or maybe it was just one person) who said that the brighter the light in the pumpkin the better the photo will be at night - especially for designs carved on the surface of the pumpkin. I never thought of Christmas lights though - nifty idea.
RiderG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
blaarrrrrgh i know there are 70 entries but this is killing me X(
ladygoddess8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I know I think the added stress of my week is so not helping either. Oh and for the pumpkin thickness I just scraped a lot out from the inside. This makes carving SO much easier because the outside does not have to be so deeply carved which usually makes weak and easily ruined sections. Also using wood carving tools helped. You can get a set at Walmart for about $4 and makes detailed carving easier.
tbartist09

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
ladygoddess8 wrote:
. Also using wood carving tools helped. You can get a set at Walmart for about $4 and makes detailed carving easier.

I agree, I purchased a set at an art store - needless to say their effectiveness for making actual woodcuts was on a scale of 1-10, 0.
They do however, work wonders for pumpkin carving!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I actually just used a small spoon. It worked really well to get completely inside the pumpkin to scrape the walls. And cleaning up is easy too! Just flip the pumpkin upside down Anime hyper

Also I think we are all feeling the suspense...Anime smallmouth
RiderG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
ai yah still not up Anime cry
labantnet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Clay carving hoops. All the professionals will tell you the same. Also hooked Exacto knifes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12