• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Nominated for Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
a lifetime achievement award to a foreigner? HAH!

They gave one to Akira Kurosawa...
hkrok76

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:45 pm Reply with quote
he deserves it ^^ I was just being bitter.

Considering Oshii is mainly known for his work in animation...one thing the academy doesn't like to respect even less then foreign films...animated films. Incredibles should be in that best picture category as well. It was well made, well executed, well enjoyed, and just damn good overall. Whatever though.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
Considering Oshii is mainly known for his work in animation...one thing the academy doesn't like to respect even less then foreign films...animated films. Incredibles should be in that best picture category as well. It was well made, well executed, well enjoyed, and just damn good overall. Whatever though.
OK then, let's twist the argument the other way then. Which of the five movies that were nominated for Best Film would you have dropped in favour of The Incredibles?

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Stueypark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote
and heck, Oshii's stuff is in the same boat as the Wachowski's stuff. And if you all remember, the only awards the Matrix won were visual awards, nothing for directing or story or such.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
OK then, let's twist the argument the other way then. Which of the five movies that were nominated for Best Film would you have dropped in favour of The Incredibles?

Personally, The Aviator. I adore Martin Scorsese, and this really was a fun movie, but it seemed a little fragmented. I think The Incredibles was stronger a film.

I'll go ahead and root for "Birthday Boy" as well, since I really like all of the animated short nominations and can't decide. (Even though I'm battling with my love for Bill Plympton's work, and Chris Landreth's "Ryan" is quite remarkable as well... but hey, both of those guys have been nominated before. Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:06 am Reply with quote
Shark Tales got the nod because of the caliber of the VA's. If the VA's were your average, non live acting, non award winning, and virtually unknown other wise. I don't think it would have had the same pull. I too was surprised that Polar Express didn't at least get a nomination. I'm not sure when the Oscar year begins whether from 01/Jan to 31/Dec, or some other time line.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:11 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Sydney2K wrote:

Personally, The Aviator. I adore Martin Scorsese, and this really was a fun movie, but it seemed a little fragmented. I think The Incredibles was stronger a film.

I don't think Leonardo DiCrapio made a convincing Howard Hughes. Hughes was excentric, brash, and egotistical, yet Leo acts too clean and too emotionless to be Hughes. He only has one acting range, and thats being stern and thats it with this movie.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:20 am Reply with quote
well, there you have it, i would have knocked the Aviator off the list. Considering I did say I think it deserved a best pic nomination, I would have to say any of those films would have been fine with me to get knocked off. imo, the incredibles was the best film of the year. not only that, i do believe there are several other films that deserve best pic noms, but didn't get it. oh well, atleast they got the consolation prize noms, best screenplay.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Reasonable people can disagree on this, but, unless I see Sideways before the end of February, I will almost certainly be rooting for The Aviator, the best "conventional" Oscar film I have seen in years, though I like Leonardo DiCaprio as an actor. And it isn't even a case of rooting for a film I kinda sorta liked, like Lost in Translation, because the front-runner leaves me cold (sorry, the LOTR films bored me stiff). This year, The Aviator is the front-runner anyway, so my rooting for it is unqualified. At least "unqualified" given that The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou wasn't nominated. Nor were The Incredibles or Shaun of the Dead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
sorry, the LOTR films bored me stiff.

Me too, actually. They were well-made films, but not at all as good as the entire world made them out to be. Like the screenwriter Tom Pope told me, "9 hours of film about throwing a ring into a volcano? You've gotta be kidding me!" I am a fan of the books, though. The Silmarillion is quite an impressive piece of work.

Quote:
At least "unqualified" given that The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou wasn't nominated.

Wes Anderson is one of the most underrated directors working today. Life Aquatic is fantastic, and Rushmore was absolutely brilliant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Toboe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
sorry, the LOTR films bored me stiff.

Quote:
At least "unqualified" given that The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou wasn't nominated.

Wes Anderson is one of the most underrated directors working today. Life Aquatic is fantastic, and Rushmore was absolutely brilliant.

Wes Anderson is not underrated. He has a large following and is highly respected and beloved among film fans and critics alike. Life Aquatic was seen as something of a misstep for him, though.

Obviously the film most easily replaced on that list is Ray. Jamie Foxx gave the performance of his life, but as a film, it was as bland, straightforward and unimpressive as a biopic can possibly be. The Aviator at least took some chances, had great performances and was beautifully shot.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm pissed that House of flying Daggers or even Shaun of the Dead weren't up for best foreign picture. two great films have been neglected by the Hollywood elite. (freakin' travesty i tell ya Evil or Very Mad ) And not to mention Micheal Moore's Fahrenheit 911
flew under the Academy's radar via BS.

But my money is 100% on the Incredibles, which is a refreshing alternative compared to Shrek 2 (same slapstick humor and worse than it's predecessor.) I could care less that Innocence had missed the boat, especially since my wait for this highly anticipated film was somewhat in vain.

And i second or more like third, the sentiment that LOTR films are boring. what was all the hype about? I could watch the disapointing recent Star Wars films before Peter Jackson's hype machine. Good use of actors; (Ian Mckellan,Christopher Lee and Hugo Weaving.) i must admit.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
I'm pissed that House of flying Daggers or even Shaun of the Dead weren't up for best foreign picture. two great films have been neglected by the Hollywood elite. (freakin' travesty i tell ya Evil or Very Mad ) And not to mention Micheal Moore's Fahrenheit 911 flew under the Academy's radar via BS.

Um... the award is for Best Foreign Language film, and the films have to be nominated by the country that produced them... so China would have to have nominated House of Flying Daggers, and last time I heard English (even filtered through a English accent) wasn't a foreign language. Canadian films can be submitted for nomination but only if the main language of the film is French.

I think a lot of people agree that Moore shot himself in the foot by putting his film forward for Best Film instead of Best Feature Documentary.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:23 am Reply with quote
Oscars to draw in viewers....somehow.

Yes, there is a GOD!!

....erm, Goddess for those out there that believe in such stuff. hehe Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:36 am Reply with quote
Let's just be happy that, in spite of its mediocre reviews, Innocence didn't win a Razzie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5